The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Difference between bodies

tomtom022

I am looking at the different Phase One bodies the 645DF and the 645DF+. What is the difference between the two bodies. I can get a pretty cheap 645df body but not a 645DF+. Someone at Samy's said the 645DF+ has more compatibility with the backs than the DF body. I am just wondering how much of a difference the shooting experience is between the two. Is it a huge difference or just a few improvements that won't justify the DF+ higher price tag. Thanks!

kdphotography

DF and DF+ are largely the same---with the SAME compatibility with all Phase MFDBs. Obviously resale value will be better with DF+.

DF+ has supposedly better AF performance, but imo, user familiarity with the personality/characteristics/limitations of the camera/lens will have a more significant impact. I did not see the need to upgrade to the DF+ from the DF considering the minor improvements balanced against the price to upgrade. If Phase offered a hot trade in deal, that would have made a big difference. When a new Phase body is released that may change my mind....

Regardless, make sure to use the rechargeable Lithium battery insert in the DF or DF+ body.

ken

Paul2660

+1 to Ken's comments. I had hoped that Phase One would offer a upgrade value from the DF to the DF+, as they did from the AFDIII to the DF but as far as I know there has not been one.

Both support the LS lenses, and both only have the 3 AF point, and really only the center one matters, as the other two are very hit and miss.

I tried a DF+ last year and did feel that the AF was more accurate, no more 1,2,3 before it locked. But I could not justify the 4,995.00 price point when the best offer I had on my DF was around 1K.

It's the NEXT ONE (future camera body) that will matter I hope. Maybe shown in Sept at PKonia. It would be great compliment to the IQ250.

Paul

The DF and DF+ are the same on paper, but very different in hand. To me the DF is a great reason to buy a D800, the DF+ is a great reason to get an IQ back. I can't quantify the differences, but the DF+ just seems a lot faster and more responsive. The autofocus is a lot faster (still not fast) and more accurate. Aside from the weight, I think a DF+ could be an only camera, the DF is merely a link between a lens and back. Just one man's opinion. You really need to try them both to see if the difference is meaningful to you or not. To be frank, they are both heavy, plastic and slow and remind you of the 1990s.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
DF+ focus locks faster and with less hunting.

Don't know where you're located but if it's anywhere in the northeast we'd be glad to let you shoot them side by side to make your own conclusions.

ondebanks

Don't know where you're located but if it's anywhere in the northeast we'd be glad to let you shoot them side by side to make your own conclusions.
6.5 billion people have nominated me to point out that the globe doesn't have a "northeast". However, we will accept the Kamchatka peninsula, if push comes to shove. :poke:

Ray

dchew

6.5 billion people have nominated me to point out that the globe doesn't have a "northeast".
Sure it does Ray. Wherever you are, head North, then East. There you are! You could even do it in the opposite order, but I prefer to head North first because that usually results in a change in the weather, which I find more exciting. :poke:

Dave

tomtom022

Hey thanks everyone! I figured as much as far the difference between the bodies.

Bill I think you are absolutely right and need to just try both and see how I feel about it. I found a pretty good deal on the a kit with the DF+ body so I may go with that.

Doug I would totally take you up on your offer but I am actually in California so that is kind of hard for me haha.

I tried the DF+ body with the 260 back at Samy's but the AF wasn't responding at all so it wasn't really a good test drive. The guys spent most of the time trying to figure out what was wrong with it. I was like I didn't do it I swear! haha

However do you think Phase one will be coming out with a new body in Sept or at least an announcement of a new body? If they do then I may wait for that and hopefully the DF+ bodies will go down?

I have the Mamiya 645Af and the focus is also very slow on that so I am kind of used to the pace of those kind of cameras. I usually use manual focus and haven't had an issue with it.

Thanks everyone for the help!

sc_john

Regardless, make sure to use the rechargeable Lithium battery insert in the DF or DF+ body.

ken
Could someone clarify this statement of rechargeable Lithium battery insert? I ask, because I recently had a LOT of problems with 645DF+ locking-up, not seeing lens, not seeing DB, etc. Camera was powered with rechargeable AA batteries. I assumed it was a firmware problem w/ 645DF+. I had never experienced such problems with tech cam.

Thanks,

John

shlomi

DF+ advantages over DF:

1. Much improved shutter life - the most important difference. The camera is internally redesigned and has much less mechanical failures and is less likely to fail you on the wrong time.
2. Slightly better AF.
3. Comes with rechargeable batteries included.
4. Better live auto view mirror up process.

The new body should come at the end of the year.

shlomi

shlomi

The first generation of EJJI had poor fit, however it is no longer being sold.
The current (mark II) EJJI has perfect fit.
To the best of my knowledge, it is the same battery provided with DF+.
For sure DF+ is provided with a battery that looks exactly like EJJI, and also it is not possible to buy seperately a battery branded anything other than EJJI.
So the Phase One article you linked seems very strange and likely a mistake.
Preferring AA to EJJI is a mistake, as EJJI performance is hugely better.
In any case they say use Alkaline AA and not rechargeables like they guy above used.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
The EJJI and Phase One batteries require different chargers. They aren't very different to look at but the battery mount shape is definitely different between EJJI and Phase One and you cannot interchange the batteries between the chargers.

shlomi

The EJJI and Phase One batteries require different chargers. They aren't very different to look at but the battery mount shape is definitely different between EJJI and Phase One and you cannot interchange the batteries between the chargers.
You are talking about EJJI Mark I.
EJJI Mark II is exactly the same to the best of my knowledge.