The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Oh Dear .. tho the writing did seem to be on the Wall

Uaiomex

And the sacrifice of the V system.
Amen

As a long time Hasselblad user, I find it sad to see such a rumor … again.

Personally, I don't subscribe to the usual "reasons why" as discussed here. I believe the root of their problem is/was poor marketing decisions that directly affected the product, and even worst communication with their targeted consumers regarding the good decisions they did make.

There is an adage in marketing that says "Perception Is Reality". Hasselblad violated that on a regular basis. Whether out of arrogance or ignorance is irrelevant, only the long term net results count.

Hasselblad launched the H camera with perceptual mistake #1. They severed their long time relationship with Zeiss to make lenses for the H system. It doesn't matter what the reality of the H lenses may be, how good they actually are, or who designed them and who made them, it created a perceptual inequity that persists to this day.

They insisted on making the H camera "Plain Jane" grey, ignoring the over-whelming majority preference for a black camera.

Hasselblad ignored the fact that their backs could not be used on a technical field camera, effectively handing all that potential pro and growing enthusiasts business to their competitors. The recent clip-on battery for the H5 is too little, too late.

Hasselblad and Imacon became one, but the camera seemed to dominate in innovations, while the DBs consistently trailed Phase One DB innovations. A clear case of the tail wagging the dog. It is medium format DIGITAL, not MEDIUM FORMAT digital. Their camera was already ahead of the game, so they should have concentrated on the DBs.

Instead of using their lead in camera development (perceptual or real), they closed the H system to use of other DBs. In reality, there were some good reasons to unify all components … but it defied "Perception is Reality", and Hasselblad never clearly communicated the technical reasons why they closed the system, so the perception was universally negative with no mitigating argument for doing what they did. The H4X marketing was yet another "mean move" that pissed off even more photographers.

In their most recent act of "Marketing Suicide", they ignored the reality that photographers intuitively know a "digital con" when they see one. Not to mention that photographers are visual people, and usually know ugly when they see it. No single act they have done has had the perceptual impact of the Lunar Lunacy.

There is more, but the slow road to oblivion seems the path Hasselblad kept choosing one decision at a time.

- Marc

Ken_R

It's just my own opinion, but I think the H body and general system of lenses is by far preferable to the DF+. I'd much rather have an IQ back to a H back though. Swings and roundabouts? I'm not so sure. While I'm not into rumour ware, Phase have repeatedly said they're to release a new body. Perhaps they should buy Hasselblad? (Only kind of joking here...)
I got a beater H1 and 80mm lens for cheap just to try my IQ160 on an SLR body and ended up really liking it. Even though my main body for the back is the awesome Arca Swiss RM3Di (with the Roddie 40mm and 70mm HR-W's) I like to use the Hassy every once in a while and have incorporated it in some of my work.

I find the lens excellent and I use it mostly wide open.

I am pretty sure the Schneider/K 80mm LS on the DF+ is similar but I do not have any experience with that system.

Uaiomex

Who knows, maybe now that Hasselblad will have a new (wiser perhaps) owner and that Sony will soon be spitting big sensors with much better prices, the V could be revived. Mine (still) inside a plastic box with silica waiting for a digital back that doesn't hurt the rest of my life for ten years just for its sheer price of accuisition.
Eduardo

I discovered many years ago that the Hasselblad market in diferent countries can be hugely different. In the UK at least, many professional photographers still use the V system and many more are moving back to it. Some do it to experience again the discipline and reward of film photography and others are buying into it and getting digital backs at the same time, can I help someone find a secondhand CFV back is my most common question. Many colleges and students still use Hasselblad V system. I do agree that the demand for new equipment is very small so even I cannot expect a great revival but it is not dead and where there is demand there is hope.

tsjanik

If I were a Hasselblad fan I wouldn't be too discouraged. I'm a long time Pentax user and I have read of their imminent demise many times and now the 645Z is a cause célèbre. I'm seeing reviews of the 645Z by people who don't have a 645Z or even a 645D and clearly are unfamiliar with the Pentax 645 system. In time, I'm sure it will be Hasselblad's turn, there's too much history there. It just may take a few years.

Tom

Last edited:

Shashin

Hmm, who could buy the big H.

Phase? While they need a new camera, running two camera lines would be really complex. I am not sure they have the funds either.

Sony? Interesting idea. They have bought camera companies before--Minolta is where they got their DSLRs and Nex series camera. They have been pursuing the high end camera, but I am not sure MFD is too high end and too small.

Fuji. Now that would be really interesting. They have run small product lines before. Perhaps a MFD Xtrans sensor. They certain could take over the optics.

It would be a big loss to lose another camera company, especially Hasselblad. By the camera market has not been good and this would not be a surprise.

I don't think sony is in a position to buy any company. They have been closing their retail stores in the areas I frequently travel to and I have read that their other electronics like tv's are losing big dollars...

Who knows.

Robb

tjv

Hey, if Leica could pull its socks up then anything can happen with regards to Hasselblad. I'd hazard a guess and say they were in a worse position than Hasselblad at the end of the Hermes days, now look at them.

Sony's financial report:

MP&C = Mobile devices and computers (phones, tablets, laptops, etc.)
Game = Playstation
IP&S = Imaging products and Solutions (still/video cameras and broadcast)
HE&S = Home entertainment and sound (televisions, home theater systems)
Devices = Semiconductors and components (OEM parts sold to other companies, like sensors and processors)
The others are self-explanatory.

Overall, Sony is actually seeing a profit compared to last year, especially the digital imaging sector, but they really outta do something about their computer and television divisions...

Nick-T

My information is that the rumours are exactly that.

My sources tell me that the owners have just laid out a long term for the company and have lot's of exciting things in the pipeline so I think we can lay this one to rest.

(Cross posted to Luminous Landscape)

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I laid it to rest at the first hint of it. Why I never made a comment. Need to remember Nikon killed off MF awhile ago, don't you remember that. ROTFLMAO

Now Hassy like Phase like Leica need to address more functionality cameras but we have been saying that for years. That does not mean the end of any of them. This is a Photokinia year so things are quiet until than. Been like that as long as I have been shooting.

jmosier01

I am curious as to what's been going on recently. An H5D-40 system for 12,995. A great price for a great camera, but why? Something new? Discontinuing the 40? I'm actually demoing one in the studio right now alongside my H3D 22. Just had a demo with a few IQs and I still feel the the H system is the better fit for me and greatly prefer Phocus to C1. Don't need bells and whistles. Just get me past point A and I'll get to point B.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Just had a demo with a few IQs and I still feel the the H system is the better fit for me and greatly prefer Phocus to C1. Don't need bells and whistles. Just get me past point A and I'll get to point B.
Capture One is like the New York Times. By default it comes with everything for everyone. But it's very easy to tear out all the stuff you don't need. It can have many more icons than Phocus or many many less. If all you want is white balance and a process button you could do it. We cover this in our basic class and Capture One Masters Program, or 1v1 with any of our customers.

It's really really good software.

Nick-T

I'd say Doug is pretty damn enthusiastic about C1 butte's not a salesman in the negative sense of the word.

Nick-T

@jmosier01 I think you'll like the 40. I went from a 31 to a 40 and there is certainly a quality improvement, not just in file size. My 31 is better than my 16 which is better than my 6 (which needs SCSI!).

Nick-T

Guy Mancuso

I am curious as to what's been going on recently. An H5D-40 system for 12,995. A great price for a great camera, but why? Something new? Discontinuing the 40? I'm actually demoing one in the studio right now alongside my H3D 22. Just had a demo with a few IQs and I still feel the the H system is the better fit for me and greatly prefer Phocus to C1. Don't need bells and whistles. Just get me past point A and I'll get to point B.
Photokinia year. Bottom line is clear as much stock as possible. That's everyone not just Hassy

Guy Mancuso

Photokinia year. Bottom line is clear as much stock as possible. That's everyone not just Hassy
Comes down to one or the other. You have something new or your worried the competition just might smoke ya. Either case you try to get as much revenue before it starts.

Been like this for years