The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hasselblad HTS 1.5 + HCD28 = Vignetting?

MikeHlop

Hi All,

I have asked at HasselbladDigitalForum already but it seems to be pretty quiet there, so I'm duplicating my questions here

I've got an HTS 1.5 recently and pretty happy with that, except one little thing - attached to H4D50 with 28mm, no lens shade, f/16, and with full 18mm shift in landscape position for panorama, it starts making quite a vignetting in the corners. Here come 2 questions:
1) Does anyone else experience the same?
2) What about 24mm? Does it produce vignetting with HTS? It's also HCD lens and while I was planning to get it in the future, now I have some reasonable doubts about it

Cheers,
Mike

jecxz

Hi Mike,

I use both the 28mm and 24mm with the HTS (on the ancient yet venerable H3DII39) and when you shift to 18mm you are including the area outside of the image circle (hence the vignetting). With less extreme shifts or tilts I have zero vignetting on both of these lenses with the HTS. Our tools have their limits and I see no reason to have doubts about this issue (not implying you shouldn't have doubts about other issues). I know it's not the answer you expected, however, I hope it helps.

Kind regards,
Derek Jecxz
www.jecxz.com
www.facebook.com/derek.jecxz.photographer

Hi All,

I have asked at HasselbladDigitalForum already but it seems to be pretty quiet there, so I'm duplicating my questions here

I've got an HTS 1.5 recently and pretty happy with that, except one little thing - attached to H4D50 with 28mm, no lens shade, f/16, and with full 18mm shift in landscape position for panorama, it starts making quite a vignetting in the corners. Here come 2 questions:
1) Does anyone else experience the same?
2) What about 24mm? Does it produce vignetting with HTS? It's also HCD lens and while I was planning to get it in the future, now I have some reasonable doubts about it

Cheers,
Mike

JeRuFo

The HCD lenses have smaller image circles than the HC lenses and are intended for the smaller sensors, you have less room to shift and tilt with these. There are very few(if any) medium format digital lenses under 30mm that you can use with significant shift.

jerome_m

I just answered in HasselbladDigitalForum, but I can duplicate my answer here. With the HCD 28mm and ±18mm shift, I see a minimum corner vignette at f/8. Phocus corrects it perfectly.

MikeHlop

Thanks for your replies guys! I was just checking if I'm having an issue or it's pretty normal. Anyway, any input and anyone's experience is valuable!