The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Help Needed for Getting in to Medium Format!

Oamkumar

Finally I'm a Proud owner of Phaseone DF+ with 80mm LS and 150mm LS with Credo 60.. Thanks a lot for all the help.. dear friends!

Oamkumar

Hi..
I recently bought a Mamiya 120mm F4 macro lens. Its a D version and for a few days it worked fine. And after that it starting showing errors. While pressing the trigger there is a strange noise from the cam and the aperture remains closed. I tried removing the lens, still the aperture remain closed. reconnected, but still error shows. After sometime, by removing the lens and battery, it finally went back to the original state. Again after some more clicks the same condition repeats. Is it a common problem for this lens? If yes, for macro purpose, which other version is better? This was an optically superb lens. I cannot afford the new 120mm LS.
Attaching the image of the lens.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7J2h1_o7sEReS1qbmhheDZYVEk/view?usp=sharing
Thanks in advance.

Pradeep

Hi..
I recently bought a Mamiya 120mm F4 macro lens. Its a D version and for a few days it worked fine. And after that it starting showing errors. While pressing the trigger there is a strange noise from the cam and the aperture remains closed. I tried removing the lens, still the aperture remain closed. reconnected, but still error shows. After sometime, by removing the lens and battery, it finally went back to the original state. Again after some more clicks the same condition repeats. Is it a common problem for this lens? If yes, for macro purpose, which other version is better? This was an optically superb lens. I cannot afford the new 120mm LS.
Thanks in advance.
Kumar, is this a problem only with the 120 or also with other lenses? Does it 'reset' if you detach the digital back and put it on again? It is possible that the shutter in the lens is not opening which may be a camera related problem and not primarily due to the lens. I had something similar happen to me.

drofnad

Hi..
Again after some more clicks the same condition repeats. Is it a common problem for this lens?
Thanks in advance.
Might this topic be better put in its own, better-titled thread (than tacked onto a 2014 one!)?
--just a thought,
-d.

DougDolde

Personally I don't believe the IQ140 or Credo 40 is worth considering over a Nikon D810 UNLESS you plan to upgrade to a higher megapixel back and want to build a lens kit around it.

I did a comparison of my IQ140 with a tech camera lens (I believe it was the 28mm Schneider) and a D810 with a Zeiss lens of comparable focal length. I couldn't see any meaningful difference in resolution though I did like the color from the IQ140 somewhat more. However the color could probably be tweaked to match.

I now have the IQ180 and can say it's way better than the IQ140.

Paul2660

Hi..
Thanks in advance.
Just a shot into the dark. But it might be a firmware issue. The 120 macro may be a firmware carrying lens. For sure the DF+ has firmware. You would need to check with a phase one dealer as Mamiya and Phase One are one company.

If the DF+ needs a more current firmware. You need the V grip to upgrade lens or camera firmware.

I know for a fact early versions of the 28mm and DF Had a similar issue which was resolved with firmware on the lens.

It also may be batteries in the DF+. Are you using the AA holder or the Lion pack? The lion pack is much more dependable.

Paul C

Oamkumar

Kumar, is this a problem only with the 120 or also with other lenses? Does it 'reset' if you detach the digital back and put it on again? It is possible that the shutter in the lens is not opening which may be a camera related problem and not primarily due to the lens. I had something similar happen to me.
Thanks. Yes This problem is only with 120mm Macro MF D lens. And this is the only focal plane lens I have. Others are leaf shutter lenses. I have to find out that it's a Camera problem or Lens problem.

Last edited:

Oamkumar

Just a shot into the dark. But it might be a firmware issue. The 120 macro may be a firmware carrying lens. For sure the DF+ has firmware. You would need to check with a phase one dealer as Mamiya and Phase One are one company.

If the DF+ needs a more current firmware. You need the V grip to upgrade lens or camera firmware.

I know for a fact early versions of the 28mm and DF Had a similar issue which was resolved with firmware on the lens.

It also may be batteries in the DF+. Are you using the AA holder or the Lion pack? The lion pack is much more dependable.

Paul C
Thanks Paul. My DF+ is holding the latest firmware update. 2.31.0 and the 120mm Macro firmware is 0.30.0, which I do not know the latest or not. I am using both kinds of batteries. I have a new Li-on battery too. But the problem exist in that too. Anyway today I'm planning to check this lens in my friend's DF body and his macro lens in mine. Thanks once again for the reply.

Egor

Hi Oamkumar
I had similar issues with a DF+/Credo/IQ/PhaseOne lens combos and it turned out to be the camera...we think.

Does the mirror sound like it goes up to take the exposure and then....nothing? Or does it just make a slight sound like aperture closing right before capture and then fails to proceed with capture sequence?
When it happens, does re-seating the digital back on the DF+ fix the problem ...at least temporarily?

-After numerous trips back to the dealer they found something wrong with the camera mirror/shutter mechanism and fixed it on warrantee. It is more consistent now but still the DF+ has bugs related to power and its motors somehow. After our fixes it is only happening occasionally now and is usually a battery down to about 20% or less
-Also there is a little known setting in the digital back wherein you tell the digital back that it is using the LiOn batteries or Alk...make sure that is set correctly, I think that helped as well.

I think this problem is fixed entirely with the new camera (XF) but I don't know as I do not own one. Hope that helps, you aren't alone! :) When I experienced the same problems I felt very alone as I couldn't find anyone else experiencing this or some of the other issues we had, but my dealer stepped up and helped us out. I hope you get similar support there in India, it really helps because these cameras tend to be "prima donnas" imo...each has a personality. More so with the older Aptus-12 we had.
Sorry to hear of your problem there, its a great system when working properly, I assure you!...Best of luck!

Pradeep

Thanks. Yes This problem is only with 120mm Macro MF D lens. And this is the only focal plane lens I have. Others are leaf shutter lenses. I have to find out that it's a Camera problem or Lens problem.
Kumar, does the image come out absolutely black, like there was no exposure, despite the camera making the right sounds? Then it may be that the shutter in the camera does not open with this particular lens. Best way, as you said is to test the lens with another DF body.

Oamkumar

Thanks for the Kind words and suggestions. I tested the lens on another body and the same problem in that body also. So the problem is with the lens. I tested my friend's lens on my DF+ body, but there was no problem. The firmware on that lens is newer than mine. Anyway I asked for a replacement.
Thanks once again and sorry for the delay in reply. I was out of station and there was no internet access.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I had the same issue with my 120 macro and needed a firmware upgrade for the lens a number of years ago to work with the DF. I had to send it in to Mamiya/leaf to get it upgraded - you can't do it yourself.

Perhaps this'll help somebody else: Another lens issue with the DF+ and in this case the 150D can occur when using live view with an IQ back. Occasionally, but not always, when going into LV the mirror will flip up and the lens will make a buzzing note as if the AF motor is trying to engage. If you press in slightly the lens release button it'll reset and stop. It's a known Phase One DF+ issue but intermittent and they don't have a fix. I confirmed that I have the latest body and lens firmware.