The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Changing Medium Format

torger

There is no coincidence that back tilt/swing has been dropped in digital field view cameras. With tilt/swing in both front and back standard it becomes really tough to keep parallelism to the degree required for the short focal lengths used in digital when making wide angle shots.

There's a limit to how precise the zero dents on tilt swing can be, and if you have it both on front and back standard you get two sources of parallelism error. For product and closeup it doesn't matter, but for wide angle focused at a distance it does.

Therefore I'm a bit skeptical about the F-line being suitable for digital, but maybe it's okay. If you do go for a system primarily designed for analog your first thing to investigate is how parallelism will hold up for the wide angle shots. One test could be to focus at infinity shoot some test images of a detailed scene and look at the sides of the images and see if it's rendered equally sharp. With parallelism errors one side can be less sharp than the other.

alajuela

There is no coincidence that back tilt/swing has been dropped in digital field view cameras. With tilt/swing in both front and back standard it becomes really tough to keep parallelism to the degree required for the short focal lengths used in digital when making wide angle shots.

There's a limit to how precise the zero dents on tilt swing can be, and if you have it both on front and back standard you get two sources of parallelism error. For product and closeup it doesn't matter, but for wide angle focused at a distance it does.

Therefore I'm a bit skeptical about the F-line being suitable for digital, but maybe it's okay. If you do go for a system primarily designed for analog your first thing to investigate is how parallelism will hold up for the wide angle shots. One test could be to focus at infinity shoot some test images of a detailed scene and look at the sides of the images and see if it's rendered equally sharp. With parallelism errors one side can be less sharp than the other.
I was concerned about this also, I have checked both my F and M with a digital Micrometer and the are exact to 3 decimal places measuring in millimeters. The F line metric and the M are suitable, at least with IQ 80 back, Also check when shooting by testing and tethering, the lens in the mount has to also be square on. Personally I really like the view camera set up, it is more set up than the tech (which has become my first love) but something about that's really cool.

Arca does a good job I was very impressed with Jack Dykinga (I know he shot mainly film which is more forgiving) , I have heard Linhoff also does it well also, but slightly more limited. I debated between the two, but as mentioned got a great deal on the M then an F and the AS support in the US is top - notch.

I agree with you about being careful, but the process itself is very measured.

Phil

gmfotografie

i raise my limit to 20k € . so cfv-50c in combination with an alpa or a rm3di would be in my focus. weight and size of the camera is also an important factor for me.

actually my favorite lense on my 4x5 are the 300mm, 150mm and the 125mm

turning to such a system seams not so easy ��

a lot of questions and answers... which lenses for wide angle due to color accurancy ( cfv50c), alpa or arca system....

best michael

jerome_m

I see that you live in Tamsweg, Austria. That is about a 3 hours drive from Munich, where I live. I could demo you the Hasselblad HTS if you are interested (I am not a dealer, so I would prefer to do the demo in a week-end).
The Munich Calumet branch also will have a demo of Hasselblad products on 30.10.2014. That may be another option:
HASSELBLAD System-Tage bei Calumet

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
If budget is the concern then rather than Alpa or Arca I'd seriously consider the equally excellent Cambo system since the lenses are exactly the same. Get the best back you can afford plus obviously lenses and then decide on the tech body. They are all good - I love my Alpa but if budget were a concern I wouldn't hesitate to go with the Cambo.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
i raise my limit to 20k € . so cfv-50c in combination with an alpa or a rm3di would be in my focus. weight and size of the camera is also an important factor for me.

actually my favorite lense on my 4x5 are the 300mm, 150mm and the 125mm

turning to such a system seams not so easy ��

a lot of questions and answers... which lenses for wide angle due to color accurancy ( cfv50c), alpa or arca system....

best michael

+1 for Cambo if your budget is limited. Great system, and a basic kit can be considerably less than Alpa or Arca.

A basic guide to 50mp CMOS lens selection can be found here:
Tech Camera Overview

gmfotografie

thank you for this basic guide!

clear information for a tech-beginner. it seams that a 50mp has a lot of limitations due to color cast because of the smaler pixel sizes...

because i often use a 35mm lens on my 5dii, a rodenstock 40mm hr-w will be the right equivalent with a 50mp digipack.

Last edited:

Paul2660

The last time I checked, over 1 year ago, Cambo and Arca were pretty much a wash by the time you added the T/S mount to the lens for Cambo. If you leave it off, then you are pretty limited IMO. Tilt is very important on these lenses, on any sensor.

Current would a rm3di and WRS-1250 or 5000.

When I did the math, Cambo body to body is cheaper, but when you add the T/S mount to the lenses, it gets very close if not the same.

Cambo may have reduced the cost of the T/S mount, I have not kept up with their prices on mounts or bodies.

Paul

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
agree look at system price not by the parts. You want to look at total costs

Don't forget mounting plates and accessories as well. Buy a system, price a system in total

vjbelle

If budget is the concern then rather than Alpa or Arca I'd seriously consider the equally excellent Cambo system since the lenses are exactly the same. Get the best back you can afford plus obviously lenses and then decide on the tech body. They are all good - I love my Alpa but if budget were a concern I wouldn't hesitate to go with the Cambo.
I'm in total agreement..... I also own Alpa but wouldn't hesitate to buy Cambo.

Victor

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I owned cambo and i really liked the system . All three are very good, its really about feature sets and pricing.

gmfotografie

can you give me some hints which cambo will be a good solution for architecture and landscape. most of the time i will use a 35mm and a 50 mm calculated for a 5diii fullframe. (architecture -> interior)

i will also combine this with a digipack .. maybe the cfv-50c.

best michael

Geoff

The WRS is very good; the 400 is quite compact but movements only in one direction all the mounts (front and back) are modular and interchangeable.

weinlamm

The Leaf Credo 40 is a good idea; very simple to correct via LCC. For me it's especially a good idea because you can shift the 24mm Schneider XL with this, too (with my previous DM22=48x36mm this was not possible).

If 40 MP (or one day 60MP) is enough for you perhaps have a look for the 55mm Rodenstock. This is a lens which you can shift much more than any other lens I know.

gmfotografie

So this could be a possibility?

What do you think about this setup ?

WRS-1250
SLW-88 interface for CFV-50c
Digitar-60/5.6
Digaron-32/4.0
Rodenstock 40HR

Geoff

thank you ... what do you think about a solution with a credo leaf 40?
The jury is not quite in on the CMOS sensor. The Leaf 40 is a fine back, and allows the use of some of the less expensive lenses. I use the Leaf 7 back with the 35XL and the 55 Apo Sironar with great pleasure.

jlm

Workshop Member
i think your lenses are too close together in focal length. i use 43, 70, 120 with a full frame digital back (IQ-160).

maybe a 32, 60, 120 would work for you?

gmfotografie

Dear my friends, i have also take a look at the Linhof Techno.

.)
With the new Digipacks with LiveView Options it should be also a great combination?
The ability using film without using special modifyed lenses is great.
Whats your opinion ?

.)
Which viewcamera camera can use 4x5 film and is precise to use digital packs?