The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Mac Pro - power switch location

jerryreed

Friends,

Is it me, or does it seem that APPLE missed the obvious inconvenience that the most recent update of the Mac Pro created when they placed the power button at the bottom of the column of connectors into which USB 3, Thunderbolt and other connectors are arranged, meaning that in order to reach the power button, one must weave one's finger between all the cables that are in connectors above the power button. Johnny, say it isn't so.

If there are other users of the new Mac Pro who have come upon a way to lessen this awkwardness, I would much appreciate their sharing their solutions.

Best regards,

Jerry Reed

Jerry Reed

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Most Macs are never turned off except for an occasional maintenance - either sleep to wake via mouse or keyboard or restart from the menu. My older Mac Pro is started from the power button maybe once in a six month period.

Should be a non-issue once you are up running and have all your internal configuration matters sorted.

JMHO,

Bob

Charles Wood

It's a non-issue, depending on how 'green' you wish to be. Even in Sleep, power is being used and it may only be a few watts but I saw a number recently (and I can't remember the precise amount) that was staggering. It represented the total amount of energy that would be saved in the US if standby and sleep modes were eliminated for consumer electronics equipment. As I recall, the European regulatory agencies were the first to require standby modes and now by default, almost all consumer electronic equipment is rarely turned off by a 'hard' power switch.

What I find just as annoying with respect to the older Mac Pros is the power switch with the flush design. It's very difficult to locate by feel but I'm sure Steve Jobs preferred appearance over function. Form follows function has not always been a rule that applies to Apple products.

stephengilbert

There's a button? I turn my Mac off with the keyboard (cntr/eject).

To turn it on, I've set a wake-up time, so it'll turn on at 6:00 a.m. or when I turn on the power source after six (it's set to turn on when power returns).

tcdeveau

I find it annoying. What is more annoying to me is the fact that thunderbolt ports don't lock, so anytime I'm back there fiddling around I risk accidentally unplugging something. I'm using mine sparingly right now so have it off most of the time.

jerome_m

It's a non-issue, depending on how 'green' you wish to be. Even in Sleep, power is being used and it may only be a few watts but I saw a number recently (and I can't remember the precise amount) that was staggering. It represented the total amount of energy that would be saved in the US if standby and sleep modes were eliminated for consumer electronics equipment. As I recall, the European regulatory agencies were the first to require standby modes and now by default, almost all consumer electronic equipment is rarely turned off by a 'hard' power switch.

Not quite. Standby mode was invented as a consumer-friendly feature (on TVs at first), and the International Energy Agency realised later that the feature used quite a bit of energy when added to all appliances over the world (the IEA estimated in 2007 that standby produced 1% of the world's CO2 emissions). The One Watt Initiative was launched by the IEA in 1999 to ensure through international cooperation that by 2010 all new appliances sold in the world use only one watt in standby mode. This would reduce CO2 emissions by 50 million tons in the OECD countries alone. On 6 January 2010, the European Commission's EC Regulation 1275/2008 came into force regulating requirements for standby and "off mode" electric power consumption of electrical and electronic household and office equipment. The regulations mandate that from 6 January 2010 "off mode" and standby power shall not exceed 1W.

One Watt Initiative - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Ecodesign - Standby and off mode - Enterprise and Industry

Wayne Fox

Workshop Member
I’ve had my new Mac Pro for quite some time. I don’t find it an issue, just reach around down the bottom on the left side, find the power plug and the button is right above it. Not sure why any of the cables would get in the way unless perhaps reaching down from the top.