The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Arca-Swiss D4 geared head. Which one?

Geoff

I actually think the Linhof 3D looks like a really sweet head, it's just a pity it's limited to 12 degree movements. I know a few people here use the Linhof and reckon it compared well with the Cube, all be it with more limited features. Do any owners of this head have anything of worth to respond to this review I found: Linhof 3D Micro Review
Some of the details he describes with regards to build quality surprise me, particularly because my Techno is so beautifully made and finished.
I don't know if its of worth, but would like to chip in on the review of the Linhof 3D. The facts (as presented in the review) are all correct, but IMHO the emphasis is incorrect.

First, the Linhof is not comparable to the Cube in versatility. Its not meant to be - its a leveling head, with some modest tilt ability. The Cube is an "all angles " solution. So to ding the Linhof for what it isn't doesn't seem fair. If you need full movements, the Linhof shouldn't be on your list. If not, then its not an issue.

Second, price. B&H has a high price on this head. Linhof & Studio has it for £800, or $1300. So its less than the Cube or at least the excessive cost issue should be off the table. Regardless, it isn't cheap to be sure.

Build quality - I know Torger has issues with the Techno with some things that aren't quite right. For example, quality control on labels for these small volume manufacturers (Linhof, DHW, for example) seems to be a bit off, not just on the Techno but elsewhere as well. Frustrating, ridiculous, but not critical.

On the other hand, there is a real issue on the Techno with the 0 detents for tilt and swing, as they seem a bit too generous, probably not precise enough. I suspect they would improve this but keep in mind this product is made in less than 1,000 units (probably <500), and so we pay for the "form factor" and some of these other things… well you work with them. Perhaps this isn't acceptable to some, but spend more time in the corridors of small European manufacturers and this will be more commonly seen. Not an issue with mass produced gear, but is an issue with limited production.

On the 3D - my complaints are limited to the bottom panning knob being too small and on too small a spindle. This is the main place to turn and tighten the head on a tripod, and its just not strong enough. You can work around it, but there it is. Haven't seen much of the grease problem (wipe it off), and a bit of rubber on the knobs, well…there are exacto knives if this is a real issue. C'mon now.

The other issue is that the darn thing is heavy. And this is a problem because of all the gear in house, this little leveler is my favorite piece of kit, and I want to take it everywhere. And can you really walk around town with it? Can you travel overseas without the ability to shoot at greater angles? Well, you can tilt the tripod, but its 2# anyway to haul around on the plane along with all the other gear… Its hard to take with everywhere, and hard to leave at home.

Its a real treat of a device. Rock steady, love the fine gearing (steady and easy to get precise settings), and with the above caveats, its very good.

torger

Some weight stats:

Arca-Swiss D4: 960 grams with classic clamp
Arca-Swiss Cube: 1100 grams (with classic clamp?)
Linhof 3D Micro: 1074 grams with clamp
Manfrotto 410: 1220 grams with clamp

The differences in weight are not huge, but for me that changed from Manfrotto + Hejnar clamp + leveling head (to make it work with gitzo large base) I went from something like 1400 down to 960 grams and that was a big difference.

I think the relatively small difference between the cubes and the D4 can still have some meaning when you carry around the tripod in your hand or attached to a backpack. A heavy head can make the balance a bit strange.

In this thread you can find a "home-made" cube (made from ready parts):
http://www.getdpi.com/forum/medium-format-systems-digital-backs/50515-i-made-tripod-head-;.html
that weighs 750 grams, probably hard to find any lighter geared solution than that, not sure how well it carries weight though.

jotloob

Subscriber Member
Some weight stats:

Arca-Swiss D4: 960 grams with classic clamp
Arca-Swiss Cube: 1100 grams (with classic clamp?)
Linhof 3D Micro: 1074 grams with clamp
Manfrotto 410: 1220 grams with clamp

The differences in weight are not huge, but for me that changed from Manfrotto + Hejnar clamp + leveling head (to make it work with gitzo large base) I went from something like 1400 down to 960 grams and that was a big difference.

I think the relatively small difference between the cubes and the D4 can still have some meaning when you carry around the tripod in your hand or attached to a backpack. A heavy head can make the balance a bit strange.

In this thread you can find a "home-made" cube (made from ready parts):
http://www.getdpi.com/forum/medium-format-systems-digital-backs/50515-i-made-tripod-head-;.html
that weighs 750 grams, probably hard to find any lighter geared solution than that, not sure how well it carries weight though.
Anders

The selfmade Cube with 750 grams has a load capacity of around 3kg .
That little cube has a base of 40mm and is IMO too small in comparison to the cameras we would like to mount . It is also a question of handling .

Has anyone ever removed the ARCA fliplock from the D4 ?
Will one need a heat gun to remove the fliplock as is described in other threads
for the removal from the Cube ?

Paul2660

Anders

That little cube has a base of 40mm and is IMO too small in comparison to the cameras we would like to mount . It is also a question of handling .

Will one need a heat gun to remove the fliplock as is described in other threads

On the D4 geared head I have which has the traditional screw clamp, the bolt is seated with some form of loc-tight. I don't think it's a easy removal.

Paul

torger

Anders

Since those threads were written Arca-Swiss has changed the glue to a type that is very hard to remove (although probably not impossible if you have the tools, but you need very high heat, not just a heat gun this time around, rather something like heating an irod rod to glowing with a blow torch, and then apply that rod on the bolt head to heat up the bolt to really high temperature so the loc-tite will release), this counts both for newly produced Cube heads and the D4.

So the general saying is that it's no longer user-removable, not on the D4 and not on the Cube.

The right way to do it would probably be to contact Arca-Swiss directly and try to buy one without any clamp attached. I don't know if they will comply though.

If I remember correctly the official story from Arca-Swiss why they made it non-user removable is that users would often damage their heads when they changed clamp, so they simply got tired it.

jotloob

Subscriber Member
My geared D4 is 2 1/2 years old . Will my D4 be affected ?
I would like to replace the fliplock by an RRS long lever clamp , because I have increasing arthrosis in my fingers and therefore find a long lever easier to handle.

torger

My geared D4 is 2 1/2 years old . Will my D4 be affected ?
I would like to replace the fliplock by an RRS long lever clamp , because I have increasing arthrosis in my fingers and therefore find a long lever easier to handle.
Rod K would know, probably best to ask him. I don't know when they changed glue, but I think it's quite recent, like a year ago or something. So my guess is that your D4 is old enough to make it relatively easy to replace it, you still need some form of heating though.

jotloob

Subscriber Member
Thanks Anders

Yes , I think Rod K is the right person . Perhaps he has a look to this thread .

jotloob

Subscriber Member
I managed to remove the fliplock , but I had to use my small heat gun .
The screw is a countersunk M6 with a hexagon socket .
No need for further investigation . Thanks guys .:clap:

jotloob

Subscriber Member
Here the ARCA D4 with an RRS dovetail at the bottom and an RRS long lever clamp on the top . Weight is 1080 grams .
I only had to buy the RRS items . The D4 was a promotion from HASSELBLAD when I bought my second CFV digital back .

View attachment 81165

jotloob

Subscriber Member
I have a big RRS long lever clamp on each of my tripods .
So I can swap heads which have the dovetail within seconds from one tripod to the other . I have a rather big LINHOF tripod , with center column , which I never use on location , but I can easily mount the D4 or CUBE .
I got this idea from Graham Welland , where I saw the RRS clamp combination . And of course had to get it .:angel: