The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New - Cambo Actus View Camera for Sony A7

Steve Hendrix

**Cross posted on LL.

This is a pre-release of a Cambo announcement of a new small format view camera system for mirrorless camera systems like the Sony A7.

This is a pretty exciting looking extension for these cameras.

https://captureintegration.com/cambo-actus-view-camera/

Similar to the Cambo X2 Pro, but the camera is the size of an iPhone, yet will have precisely geared movements made for such a small camera.

15cm x 10cm x 17cm, approximately 1000 grams. Pricing is expected to be in the $2,000 range.

*Note - there are a some elements not 100% finalized, but the final shipping version will be delivered relatively quickly, probably within 1-2 months for orders today.

Steve Hendrix
Capture Integration

Don Libby

Steve, looking at the specs it seems that the lensplate will work on Phase/Mamiya 645 lenses. Is that correct? So we order one configured in say Sony and the lensplate in Mamiya that way we can use the 7 or 7R with existing 645 lenses. What am I missing? Any idea if they are considering using lenses from the WRS? - Guess that would work well ......

f8orbust

This is greeeeeeaaaatttt (as Tommy the Tiger would say) - allowing users to access the wonderful world of R/S and S/K lenses (combined with precision movements) without the expense of a digital back - and all for less than the cost of an Alpa lens mount. Bravo, Cambo.

gazwas

Now that does look interesting!

Would love to know how the A7R works with SK and RS lenses when used with one of these and the sort of movements available.

Steve Hendrix

Steve, looking at the specs it seems that the lensplate will work on Phase/Mamiya 645 lenses. Is that correct? So we order one configured in say Sony and the lensplate in Mamiya that way we can use the 7 or 7R with existing 645 lenses. What am I missing? Any idea if they are considering using lenses from the WRS? - Guess that would work well ......

You're on the right track Don. Very similar to X2 Pro, but form factor much improved for smaller bodies, likely greater precision as well. Lens boards will be ordered separately.

Steve Hendrix
Capture Integration

Steve Hendrix

Now that does look interesting!

Would love to know how the A7R works with SK and RS lenses when used with one of these and the sort of movements available.

Yes, the performance itself with shifts, etc, will be quite interesting.

Steve Hendrix
Capture Integration

f8orbust

I know that Chris Barrett reported using the S/K 35mm with the A7 on an A/S ML-2 (probably unshifted), so I'd imagine the same deal here.

For shifts with W/A lenses I'd imagine you'd need to go with the R/S wides* as these have the longer flange-sensor distance. Not sure how much the recessed nature of the sensor in the A7 is going to vignette the effects of shifting though - time (and testing) will tell.

Jim

*With no outrageously expensive helical and lens mount to buy, this isn't as much of an eye-watering proposition as it used to be.

M

mjr

That looks really cool, might even be worth buying an a7r for!

Mat

Don Libby

Steve help me out here... about the lenses. Will/would I be able to take a lens from my 645 bag and simply attach it to the lensboard to use or must I have a permanent mounted lenses specific to the system. I tried to answer this myself by looking and the DSRL system and I'm still scratching my head. The perfect (for me) system is to attach the 7r to one end and grab a lens from the bag and attached it to the front thus giving me the freedom of using the lens on both the Sony and DF systems. Make sense?

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I'm a gear slut whore. You expect anything less. Lol

Actually it just be my poor mans tech cam. I'm all in

Paul2660

If you use modern Phase or Mamiya 645 glass how will you adjust the shutter? All of these are like the Nikon G lenses no manual aperture ring. The 645 lenses will be wide open all the time unless there is some electronic or manual linkage for the shutter.

All lenses shown in example have manual shutters. And the Schneider or Rodenstocks would use the Copal shutter I guess. Also assuming SK or ROD lenses will only work in Cambo mounts.

Paul

Steve Hendrix

If you use modern Phase or Mamiya 645 glass how will you adjust the shutter? All of these are like the Nikon G lenses no manual aperture ring. The 645 lenses will be wide open all the time unless there is some electronic or manual linkage for the shutter.

All lenses shown in example have manual shutters. And the Schneider or Rodenstocks would use the Copal shutter I guess. Also assuming SK or ROD lenses will only work in Cambo mounts.

Paul

Right - lenses need a manual aperture ring, or else you'll have to trick it into the aperture you want to use (mount it on the native camera, take a shot at the aperture you want, press Depth of Field Preview button, shut camera down). But that's not very practical, so use an older lens.

The Rodenstock HR and Schneider Digitar lenses can be mounted in the Cambo board for the camera (very affordable, usually less than $100) - they don't need to be mounted in the Cambo Helical LensPanels.

Steve Hendrix
Capture Integration

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
The Rodenstock HR and Schneider Digitar lenses can be mounted in the Cambo board for the camera (very affordable, usually less than $100) - they don't need to be mounted in the Cambo Helical LensPanels.

Thats what Im after is real tech lenses