The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Rodenstock 40hr strange flare?

Pemihan

I'm thinking something along those lines as well.
Since the lens is practically brand new I'm looking to simply get it replaced.

Peter

The more I think about it, the more I suspect you have an element or lens group out of centre.
Keen to hear what Rodenstock have to say about it.

Pemihan

Ok, made a series of tests this morning and it has nothing to do with flare from the compendium. The issue is still there if I just shade the lens with a piece of cardboard.

BUT if I cover up the lens barrel the issue is gone...! So it seems there is a light leak somewhere in the lens barrel it self, maybe the shutter or somewhere in between.

Anyway, the lens is now on it's way to Cambo.

I'll give you an update when I know more.

Peter

Pemihan

Latest news:

Cambo has checked the lens and found nothing wrong. According to their technician the issue is caused by a light leak in the camera itself causing light to hit the rear element of the lens.
Since the rear elements of my various lenses of course are different and protrudes differently into the camera the issue is only visible with the Rodie 40.
When I covered the lens barrel in my tests I must also have shaded the light leak in the camera.

So my camera is on its way back to Cambo for check up and my lens plus a loaner camera is on the way back to me :)

More info when everything is solved. But so far excellent service from Cambo...!

Last edited:

Paul2660

Good new, bad news, glad to see them handling it quick and fast. Personally I am happy for you the lens is OK as I would much rather them be not opening up a Rod 40mm. It more than likely would have to go Rodenstock anyway.

Paul

Pemihan

Yes, if the issue was with the lens itself it would have to go to Rodenstock, as it is now it is on the way back to me :)
The camera is still under warranty, so if they can't fix it I assume I will just get a replacement.

alajuela

Hi

I had a similar experance - A 28 Rodenstock - Renne had to send it back to Rodenstock - mine was soft on one side. Now good.

Also I knocked my 70 once and that had to go back :eek:. Got that back in perfect shape also.

Both times Renee was the best. Both turned around in about one week or so. Dave at C1 Fed Ex it to Holland and Renee dropped shipped it back to me.

Sh*t happens but C1 + Cambo = great!!

Thanks

Phil

Pemihan

Cambo got my camera today and have already confirmed and located the light leak in the camera and am in the process of fixing it. Tomorrow the camera goes back to me.

Excellent and very quick service from Cambo.

Pemihan

Final update: Got my camera back earlier this week and everything seems fine now :)
So the issue was with the camera and not the lens.

As said excellent and very quick service from Cambo.

Landscapelover

Senior Subscriber Member
Final update: Got my camera back earlier this week and everything seems fine now :)
So the issue was with the camera and not the lens.

As said excellent and very quick service from Cambo.
Peter,

Congratulations and thanks for sharing your experience.

Pramote

jotloob

Subscriber Member
Peter

I can hardly imagine a light leak on a technical camera .
If you have more info of how and where the leak is , could you share that info ? :lecture:

Pemihan

Jürgen,

Apparently the light leak was through the shifting mechanism where the two parts glide against each other.