The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

IQ180 Firmware issue (0.45.0 )

Wisdomaero

I recently purchased a used phaseone IQ180+645DF System. I found the firmware is 0.45.0 April 2011 version. The back has no Live view and Samll Raw features. I tried to use the firmware updater on my Mac book to update the firmware, is always failed. I tryed through 1.33- latest version, no one will be work. the back will reboot during the update, and a window poped up with" please follow the upgrade steps on device. You may discounnected Iq180."

I using the firewire to connect the updater, and I also tryed to use CF card; however, the back always say, not vaild update firmware.....

And I found I cannot use the back to format the CF card, if do so, it will become frizzes....

I would like to know anyone faced this issue before, and any solution will be appreciate!

Paul2660

Will the back take and capture an image? The fact it won't format a card is concerning

I don't think that the recommended method to upgrade firmware is via the FireWire connection. If you can get the back to take the firmware from a card. I would contact a dealer. If you are in the US try Digital Transitions in NY or Capture Integration in Atlanta.

Back may need to go to Phase One for service. Their location is Millville NY.

I thought live view was available from day one with the 180 but it may have been enabled later on via firmware. A dealer would know for sure. USB3 came much later with firmware.

Paul

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
You need to contact a dealer. If you're in the US you're welcome to contact us (Digital Transitions). You can email me at [email protected] with your serial number and shipping address.

Since you've recently purchased the unit I would do this without delay. If the back is out of warranty (I'd guess it is) then there will be a charge to repair your firmware if the normal in-field troubleshooting fails (quite possible based on your description) and you'll want to notify the seller of their responsibility for these charges.

The dealer can also verify this back is not a stolen back, as there was a pre-production back stolen which would have had this firmware version. Probably it's not and this firmware issue was caused else wise but it's wise to check ASAP.

Wisdomaero

Thanks for all reply! here is some update:

1. I tryed update from Card already, the back always mentioned there is no valid firmware files. (used SanDisk 32gb UDMA7 120mb/s)

2. The back coming with the oringinal purchase invoice from an Tronto Canadian Dealer named Vistek with 5 years warranty, it will expire on 2016.
At least the unit is not a stolen one.

3. I attached the dump log after I tryed to update the firmware, I see there are few failed and mentioned Max CF support is UDMA 6.

4. I just contact seller today, they told me the back been restored to defualt before they ship to me, and the FW verison before resest is 3.0.13.

5. The reply from PHaseone support is to let me contact dealer directly for support, I will do it on Monday.

6. I haerd from few of my friends, the early version of the IQ180 backs may need back to factory for components upgrade, I am concerning of my unit....

Pemihan

If the back is still under warranty the issue should be covered, also if it needs to go back to Phase One for hardware upgrade..

Have you tried to perform the firmware upgrade with a different CF card eg UDMA 6 or older?

Peter

Thanks for all reply! here is some update:

1. I tryed update from Card already, the back always mentioned there is no valid firmware files. (used SanDisk 32gb UDMA7 120mb/s)

2. The back coming with the oringinal purchase invoice from an Tronto Canadian Dealer named Vistek with 5 years warranty, it will expire on 2016.
At least the unit is not a stolen one.

3. I attached the dump log after I tryed to update the firmware, I see there are few failed and mentioned Max CF support is UDMA 6.

4. I just contact seller today, they told me the back been restored to defualt before they ship to me, and the FW verison before resest is 3.0.13.

5. The reply from PHaseone support is to let me contact dealer directly for support, I will do it on Monday.

6. I haerd from few of my friends, the early version of the IQ180 backs may need back to factory for components upgrade, I am concerning of my unit....

Wisdomaero

If the back is still under warranty the issue should be covered, also if it needs to go back to Phase One for hardware upgrade..

Have you tried to perform the firmware upgrade with a different CF card eg UDMA 6 or older?

Peter
Hi Peter, Thanks for your recommondation, I will try this method later and get back with update info.

Wisdomaero

Will the back take and capture an image? The fact it won't format a card is concerning

I don't think that the recommended method to upgrade firmware is via the FireWire connection. If you can get the back to take the firmware from a card. I would contact a dealer. If you are in the US try Digital Transitions in NY or Capture Integration in Atlanta.

Back may need to go to Phase One for service. Their location is Millville NY.

I thought live view was available from day one with the 180 but it may have been enabled later on via firmware. A dealer would know for sure. USB3 came much later with firmware.

Paul
Hi paul, Yes, the camera can be capture images, I tried either with or without strobes. the issues: cannot be update firmware; the FW been restored to 045.0 April 26 2011 version. Live view & small raw features disapeared. system crash when Formating CF card via IQ180. Operation Camera Phaseone 645DF.

Paul2660

Check out this post::

http://www.getdpi.com/forum/medium-...backs/49589-new-phase-iq-firmware-update.html

Covers some of the issues that might occur with early IQ180 backs and the latest firmware. It's seems to effect tech camera users the most.

Not sure why previous owner would take the back to earliest firmware.

Phase One has gotten a lot better on firmware upgrades (my P45+ bricked during one).

When you purchased the back was there a value add warranty? I only ask as it does transfer with the back.

Hopefully a dealer can help correct the problem without a return to Phase One.

Paul

Wisdomaero

Phase One has great customer service, and you'll want to utilize the dealer network for support.

I've left my Dropbox folder of older firmware versions and the latest IQ firmware version available: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/258ngmkjxewo04e/AACc8BqAnDOy7BANNftHsnnYa

ken
Thanks Ken, I tried all your firmware on CF card and via firewire, none of them worked, I did some research, the earliest firmware should be 1.19; however, I cannot find on internet. That is the only one I haven't try out yet. may some one here can post one will be appreciate.

Wisdomaero

Check out this post::

http://www.getdpi.com/forum/medium-...backs/49589-new-phase-iq-firmware-update.html

Covers some of the issues that might occur with early IQ180 backs and the latest firmware. It's seems to effect tech camera users the most.

Not sure why previous owner would take the back to earliest firmware.

Phase One has gotten a lot better on firmware upgrades (my P45+ bricked during one).

When you purchased the back was there a value add warranty? I only ask as it does transfer with the back.

Hopefully a dealer can help correct the problem without a return to Phase One.

Paul
Hi Paul, yes, the back has 5 years value added warranty, will expire on end of 2016, I already noticed the seller, if the dealer won't transfer the warranty to me, then he will help to claim.

The phase one technican noticed me the same thing let me contact the dealer directly. and I already emailed them with full defect report and all orignal invoie, log, pictures of back firmware info. Hopfully they can response me on Monday. And I will read your link to see if I can find some additional information for this issue. Thanks again.

Paul2660

That is good news on the value add warranty as it transfers with the back. You are in good shape. Now it's up to the dealer.

Paul

dchew

Hi Paul, yes, the back has 5 years value added warranty, will expire on end of 2016, I already noticed the seller, if the dealer won't transfer the warranty to me, then he will help to claim.
That is indeed good news, because April 2011 was before they were shipping units to end users. I was on a Phase One workshop in early April, and we were playing with a pre-production unit that ate batteries like a champ and did not have all the features. I'm pretty sure nothing shipped to customers until May or later.

Dave

Wisdomaero

That is indeed good news, because April 2011 was before they were shipping units to end users. I was on a Phase One workshop in early April, and we were playing with a pre-production unit that ate batteries like a champ and did not have all the features. I'm pretty sure nothing shipped to customers until May or later.

Dave
I already contacted the dealer, they are using my Phaseone ticket discuss this issue with technican right now. Hopefully I can get an solution this week. so far, I believe the back need to back to Dealer's shop for restore (Phaseone mentioned the dealer has a particular way to restore the back to the Ver 1.XX firmware) at least.

I will keep update the progress, and to see how Phaseone Canadian dealer's behavior.

BTW, thand Dave, I believe you correct, the back was been reset back to Engineering mode version, which lower than retail verision so far. at long as the back can be use for shooting, the problem will be softer problem.

Thanks all feedback so far from your guys.