The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Phase One on a Speed Graphic...

gerald.d

Gerald,

What on Earth is that lens? From an aerial camera?
The lens history is uncertain. Apparently the seller bought a handful of them from a lens dealer and then built the custom mount to put it on the Speed Graphic, but neither of them know what its origins are.

135mm f/0.95. No aperture, no shutter.

ondebanks

The lens history is uncertain. Apparently the seller bought a handful of them from a lens dealer and then built the custom mount to put it on the Speed Graphic, but neither of them know what its origins are.

135mm f/0.95. No aperture, no shutter.
I'll bet it's from a ceiling-mounted electronic projector, the sort used in lecture theatres.

I have a Sony 135mm f/1.0 data projector lens which is rather like yours, except probably a bit more recent (it includes aspherical elements). I use it as a colossal medium format slide loupe! The unit I scavenged it from had 3 of these lenses, each with different multicoatings - one presumes they were optimized for R, G and B respectively.

Ray

gerald.d

I'll bet it's from a ceiling-mounted electronic projector, the sort used in lecture theatres.

I have a Sony 135mm f/1.0 data projector lens which is rather like yours, except probably a bit more recent (it includes aspherical elements). I use it as a colossal medium format slide loupe! The unit I scavenged it from had 3 of these lenses, each with different multicoatings - one presumes they were optimized for R, G and B respectively.

Ray
I was thinking along these same lines earlier today - that maybe it had come out of one of those old projection TVs, or a big projector, and have been doing some digging around. What you say makes a lot of sense given the lens characteristics.

Kind regards,

Gerald.