The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Mamiya AFD III and new LS Lenses

Hi,

is it possible to use the new Phase One Schneider Leaf Shutter lenses on an old Mamiya AFD III body?
What ist the difference between the AFD III and die DF and the DF+?

Thank you.
mueller123

steve_cor

No, it is not possible to use them at all on a Mamiya AFD III.

On the newer 645DF+, if your camera or lens front or back focuses, it has a setting to adjust for that. For example, you can force it to back focus to compensate for a lens that front focuses. I really like that feature.

--Steve.

Hi Steve,
yes this should be a very important feature. Is it only available on the DF+. Not the DF?

Thank you.
No, it is not possible to use them at all on a Mamiya AFD III.

On the newer 645DF+, if your camera or lens front or back focuses, it has a setting to adjust for that. For example, you can force it to back focus to compensate for a lens that front focuses. I really like that feature.

--Steve.

steve_cor

The DF doesn't have the autofocus adjust feature.

I don't like the autofocus on the Mamiya AFD III at all. It's slow, and it hunts, and sometimes it fails to lock on. Nevertheless, it works. After a while.

All those problems are gone now on the DF+. The autofocus is quick and accurate. But it's better with two half-presses of the shutter release.

--Steve.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
For full clarity re [LS+AFD3]... the LS lenses will mount and the afd3 will fire. But the aperture will remain open, the leaf shutter won't trigger, and autofocus will not work. So for 99% of users it isn't a useful combo.

Hi Doug,
i have searched the web and there is an info, that the DF+ with AF adjustment dont realize if you change the lens, and you have to change the AF adjustment again every time you change the lens...
Is this right? Thank you.
mueller

steve_cor

There is only one setting for autofocus adjustment. It's not per lens or anything.

Most of my lenses need +7. Maybe it's the camera body that needs +7, I don't know.

To have an adjustment per lens, just label each lens. You have to remember to change the custom function if the next lens uses a different setting.

--Steve.

archivue

i still prefer the way sigma handle that problem… usb dock for lenses… you adjust every lenses independently, with 3 independent focus distance area… top !