The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

SK 80 alternative?

Egor

Hi all
This may (probably definitely) has been talked about before but we have noticed that our SK 80 LS lens is noticeably less sharp and exhibits signifigant pincushioning.
Compared to our SK 120 Macro, not even a contest. The 120 is tack sharp and arguably one of our finest lenses ever.
So am wondering, is there a difference between the SK 80 that ships with the Credo kit and "off the shelf" bought seperately?
Or is there an alternative 80mm that works with the DF+ that would be sharper and less distorted?
Or is this a sampling thing and maybe I should send in for fix?

Curious to what others have experienced. Thanks!

Eric

steve_cor

You shouldn't need an alternative to the Schneider Kreuznach 80mm leaf shutter lens. It's tack sharp. Sound like you have a bad sample.

--Steve.

Egor

OK, thanks, Steve!
I am hoping I can get a new sample shipped over then. I hope the pincushioning is related as well.

e

Egor

Thanks again, Steve, good info but
Hahaha...that link is funny. It shows the SK 80 LS as having an MSRP of $2990. but then a sale price of $468.66!!
I clicked on the "SEE IT" button and that is not the lens but a keyboard and mouse for $468.66 (its not even a Das Keyboard so not sure how that price was arrived at. seems kindve high for a keyboard and insane low for this particular lens)

In any case, we have downloaded a ISO test chart and will do some tests here to make sure we are seeing a lens problem, a back focus problem, and autofocus problem, or whatever. It may not be the lens, but what bothers me is that the SK 120 Macro is so intensely sharp and perfect, every time without fail, no distortion, in a word...perfect.
With the 80 we need to guess and fiddle with it to get best results, and even then, compared to the 120, not as good by a long shot.
Oh well, we shall see. I will post what I find when we get to doing the test soon.