The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Surface Pro 3 arrived

narikin

My SP3 arrived at the weekend, and has proven interesting to compare to the SP1/2 earlier models.

It is bigger, lighter, thinner, and has a higher resolution screen:

The weight difference is surprisingly noticeable. It is distinctly lighter, and thinner, and you appreciate that immediately when handling, compared to the SP1/2 form. This is a definite improvement. I also like the new color change: brushed Alu rather than Black.​

The increased size (in width x height) is a personal preference if that is a plus or minus. I think I prefer the form of the original, but perhaps it just takes time to adapt from familiar to new. The bezel - the black area around screen that shows nothing - has shrunk a bit, so some of the extra screen size has come from that rather than dimensions. I wonder if we may see a 'Pro Mini' version with much smaller size - like iPad and iPad Mini.​

The screen resolution of 2160x1440 (vs 1920x1080 on SP1/2) is useful for showing more of your image, but is not a meaningful change of button/touch size given the extra screen real estate it's spread over. Brightness is about the same, or close to.​

Some buttons have moved around, and the USB3 port has swapped sides. I would have liked a lockable power button as its still too easy to turn it on by accident/in the case, but that didn't happen. Some of the accessories have changed size/ weight of course - the type cover (there is no touchcover option anymore) is bigger and heavier and backlit, but the charger unit is smaller and lighter, and has a much better connector.​

It's early days yet, but I think I'll keep it.

Oh and, while its getting good reviews mostly, it is apparently impossible to repair or upgrade. Everything is glued in, so don't think you can access it to swap processors or put a new battery / extra memory in there.

kdphotography

Congratulations! You'll have to give us some input on how tethering goes with the SP3 over the SP2.

My only real concern (aside from spending more money to upgrade!) is being able to use the same tethering accessories as with the SP2, primarily the Arkon clamp on my tripod. I've been told that the outer dimensions should allow us to continue using the same Arkon clamp which is great. I'd also expect Manvex to release a new protective case as well.

Good news!

ken

mesposito

I agree. It's a good upgrade, and for me worthwhile due to the better screen. The size is going to be the real issue for those that are tethering. For me it's not that much bigger as to cross any kind of line. I find it just as portable. Don't know if my Arkon clamp will fit. Need to try it. I'm still in the trial phase of tethering with the Cambo. It's nice but I don't always have the time for the extra setup.

Take away tethering to a clamped tablet and an 11" Macbook Air is just as portable, but can obviously never be a tablet. Also, the screen resolution is much lower on the Air. With Apple you need to go to the Macbook Pro to get the kind of screen resolution of the SP3, and that puts you at a minimum of 13" and 4.5lbs.

As you say, it does feel significantly lighter. (1.76 lbs) It's a quarter pound lighter but feels like more.

Having been through multiple iPads I have to say that MS has me convinced that they have truly made the hybrid device that many of us need, especially the weight conscious. (I mean the device weight) :)

kdphotography

The SP3 is not "that much" of an upgrade over the SP2. But for middle-aged eyes, a better screen can mean a lot. ;) It's a more polished offering for sure. :thumbup:

The form function remains the same and it's nominally larger, meaning it still fits nicely into a backpack for going on location.

I can see myself going into enabling mode for the SP3... :D

ken

gerald.d

One of the biggest changes from the SP2 to the SP3 I would have thought was the aspect ratio of the screen.

Any thoughts on this?

mesposito

One of the biggest changes from the SP2 to the SP3 I would have thought was the aspect ratio of the screen.

Any thoughts on this?
It feels helpful to me, but again the compromise is a larger screen. The SP2 is a bit cramped in height, (more movie format) so this alleviates that feeling for text based use.

narikin

Yes, its a 12.5% increase in horizontal resolution, but a 33% increase in the vertical one. Quite a difference.

It's all very odd, as I value compact and efficient products a lot, and this looks like a step backwards, as it got bigger, but... you pick it up and notice its quite a bit lighter, and thinner, and the screen improves its usability. So I have to resolve these conflicting impressions. Tethering works just the same in either model. It's simply what size, weight & screen resolution you prefer.

If I had the SP2, I'd probably wait out this generation. If I was new to buying a tethered Surface Pro for field use, I'd get the SP3.

Paul2660

The Arkon clamp will fit the unit without a case. It should also fit with the case but it will be a tight fit.

Manvex should be shipping the new cases in about 2 weeks or less per their email to me.

So far it seems to tether just as good as the old S pro2.

I prefer the screen on the 3 for sure. Need to test it in bright light outdoors.

Battery life to me is about the same as the 3. I don't see any 9 hours possible. There is only 1 power setting available, "balanced" the other two settings are not available due to the "instant go" technology in the 3.

You can read more here on instant go:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/power-plans-faq#1TC=windows-8

Waiting on Mikegyver to make the new cables for their battery which may be about a month or so.

Paul

rga

Bought the 3 yesterday. Light, but also new cooling system that should prolong battery life, per store manager.

Ordered an iKlip Xpand to hold on the tripod in the field. Probably will need some modification so as not to damage the carbon fiber.
http://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/iklipxpand/

So far tethering works well. Haven't used in the field but I am very pleased to have a more workable tool than my Air.

Thanks to all leading this movement! And to Phase for getting the USB 3 working and not just shrugging it off.
Best,
Bob

Last edited:

kdphotography

Bob, please let us know how that iKlip Xpand clamp works for you. It looks similar in function to the Arkon clamp, except I think the arm makes the Arkon clamp more flexible in use. But I like the lower profile or rather easier looking packability of the iKlip clamp. I could do with less flexibility in exchange for a smaller packing profile.

Let's share those Surface Pro tethering options and accessories!

ken

rga

Will do. My only concern is that the clamp looks like it may scratch the tripod leg, but I'll report.
Thanks again for all YOUR efforts on this terrific solution. Can't wait to hit the coast and give it a whirl.
Btw, when I bought the 3, I had them set it up so the side switch fully powered down the tablet. Don't know if that has been mentioned as an option in this thread.
Best,
Bob

kdphotography

Bob---with regard to protecting the tripod legs from any clamp---I use strips of black gaffers tape on all tripod legs. This protects the legs from the clamp scratching as well as "pre-marking" where I should place/position the clamp on the tripod leg. Care does need to be taken not to over tighten the clamp as this can potentially crush or permanently damage the carbon fiber tripod leg.

I also use very very thin self-adhesive rubber strips inside the clamp jaws for further protection and grip.

ken

Paul2660

One thing about the IK clamp was it seems to only have the diameter of the screw rod to grab the tripod. May just be the angle of the pictures. The Arkon has a indent which helps to in effect wrap the grip around a circular support like a tripod leg.

I also used gaffers tape in the spots where the clamp will be attached for protection. I also glued some very thin minicell foam to the inside if the clamps.

Paul

Ulfric Douglas

Absolutely the single reason the surface has disappeared from my interest the moment I saw it in a shop : "letterbox" springs to mind.

Now suddenly the SP3 makes sense.

Paul2660

The screen is impressive. So far it seems a bit better to read outdoors, not as much mirror reflections, but I have to pull it out in bright sun.

The letter box description is a good one and it did make using the S Pro 2 for every day work a bit tough, the new screen is more in the line of the Macbook air, in fact the screens are very close in size, about 1" in width and 1/2 in height (based on mac book air from 2 years ago but I believe the new ones have the same size screens-non letter box style Mac book Air).

One other thing, the touch pad, is now much more accurate and really a good tool, the old one, just drove me nuts as to figuring out when a "click" was registered or not.

Overall Microsoft did some homework on this machine, nice layout and design.

Sadly, you still can't get 16GB of ram, and you can't get a 512GB drive unless you purchase the i7. I stayed with the i5 for battery life and the fact the i7 is not shipping to mid August.

This is true bleeding edge, as the units just shipped last week. I personally don't feel that the power management is correctly working as again, there is no way this machine would ever see 9 hours of battery life even on low brightness and only "using the web". Mine is tracking just about like the S Pro2 as far as battery life.

Early reviewers complained a lot about the "power management" so Microsoft may fix this in the future with either firmware which would be great, or they make a hardware change (not so good) as it would only effect new machines.

Paul

narikin

The screen is impressive. So far it seems a bit better to read outdoors, not as much mirror reflections, but I have to pull it out in bright sun.

The letter box description is a good one and it did make using the S Pro 2 for every day work a bit tough, the new screen is more in the line of the Macbook air, in fact the screens are very close in size, about 1" in width and 1/2 in height (based on mac book air from 2 years ago but I believe the new ones have the same size screens-non letter box style Mac book Air).

One other thing, the touch pad, is now much more accurate and really a good tool, the old one, just drove me nuts as to figuring out when a "click" was registered or not.

Overall Microsoft did some homework on this machine, nice layout and design.

Sadly, you still can't get 16GB of ram, and you can't get a 512GB drive unless you purchase the i7. I stayed with the i5 for battery life and the fact the i7 is not shipping to mid August.

This is true bleeding edge, as the units just shipped last week. I personally don't feel that the power management is correctly working as again, there is no way this machine would ever see 9 hours of battery life even on low brightness and only "using the web". Mine is tracking just about like the S Pro2 as far as battery life.

Early reviewers complained a lot about the "power management" so Microsoft may fix this in the future with either firmware which would be great, or they make a hardware change (not so good) as it would only effect new machines.

Paul
Agreed with much of what you say Paul.

There is a firmware update out already (16 June) so check that in 'Windows Update'. I just updated. Yes the touchpad is light years better now. the SP1/2 pad drove me nuts too - it was so poor.

Anyone bothering with the new pen input? I have been leery of it, but the new one is supposed to be pretty good, and maybe this means much easier selection of those small C1 buttons/menus.

Yes 16Gb RAM should be an option (Apple style they could charge ridiculous $$$ extra for it!) but I did sign up for the Microsoft Complete Care warranty that extends your warranty another year, to give 2 years total, and covers screen breakage up to 2 claims. I'm not a klutz, and have never broken a smartphone screen, but the SP3 glass is thinner now, as part of weight saving, and at $150 for 2 years, it seems worth it. (Though I'm just realizing my home insurance might cover me too. Ack.)

Paul2660

Just a few other little issues,

The light on the plug doesn't turn off when the 3 is fully charged, which the Sur 2 did. Not sure what made Microsoft think that it was a good idea to leave it on.

Of course the Surface Pro2/3 Arc Mouse is not backwards compatible with older versions of bluetooth. That is stupid and could have easily be handled by a driver. Go figure.

Paul

rga

So the iKlip arrived today. I'm trying to upload images, but having tech difficulties (very weird). I'll try again later.

It's all plastic. Weighs 9oz versus 16 for the Arkon. The screw to tighten the clamp to the tripod leg is also plastic, but tightening to much will definitely damage the carbon fiber. It is hard to get on the upper leg of my tripod (Gitzo 3540 XLS); the diameter if the upper leg is a bit wider than the clamp opening so you have to push it on with a bit of effort.

Seems sturdy and has good flex for various angles of view. I'll keep trying to put up pics. Because it's plastic, it doesn't feel quite as sturdy as the Arkon, but at about 1/2 the weight it's tempting...

Bob

rga

Two additional things (other than reduced weight) that I like about the iKlip are that you can angle it at 90 deg. (the socket has an indent so, depending on which way it's mounted on the tripod you can face the Surface 90 deg. up or down).
Secondly, the Klip part is removable from the socket of the tripod clamp making it easy to stow in my tripod bag. Field testing hopefully this week and next.
Bob