The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Surface Pro 3 arrived

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
SP3 - have microsoft improved the stylus/screen alignment with this version? It drives me nuts with my SP1 since text in menus is small and it's tough to hit exactly the right spot if the pen is tilted. The screen/cursor alignment isn't very good compared to my Wacom Cintiq for example.

Paul2660

SP3 - have microsoft improved the stylus/screen alignment with this version? It drives me nuts with my SP1 since text in menus is small and it's tough to hit exactly the right spot if the pen is tilted. The screen/cursor alignment isn't very good compared to my Wacom Cintiq for example.
Graham, I would say the stylus is much more accurate, on pin point type selections than on the SP2. The Stylus is different design, not Wacom like on the 1 and 2.

Keyboard is also a huge improvement, especially the mouse pad.

Adobe CC loads the max screen resolution for the UI, which makes viewing the various things like menus, tool bar, brushes etc a bit hard to read since they are very small. This is not the case with C1 or LR. Not sure if there is a way to change the default settings on CC to make those items a bit larger. You can change the UI to load at 200%, but IMO that's too large.

Paul

Last edited:

Paul2660

Win 8.1 is most current version. If you have a 2 or 3 surface the OS should auto update to the 8.1 version.

I believe all the Surface 2 units were loaded with 8.1, all the 3 units are.

Paul

rga

Win 8.1 is most current version. If you have a 2 or 3 surface the OS should auto update to the 8.1 version.

I believe all the Surface 2 units were loaded with 8.1, all the 3 units are.

Paul
Thanks. Thought C1 Pro had released 8.1...

Don Libby

I had a senior moment when I wrote that. Thinking of C1-8 and Win 8.1 and ended up saying 8.1 instead of 8. Rereading this makes it sound like gibberish. Sorry for the confusion.

C1-8 is a great update; so much so that I have it on 3-computers.

Back to work now...

Don

Don Libby

Three things I like about the 3 are the screen size, improved keyboard and pen. The screen is slightly larger and has much better resolution which makes working on C1 a hell of a lot easier. The keyboard has a much improved touch pad and after getting used to where the new right/left mouse buttons are is no problem at all. I think the keys are slightly larger due to the overall size which is a good thing. I wasn't prepared for the pen as I had realized they changed it. The surprise was having a AAAA-size battery. I've checked Amazon and found they are available so no real worries on the battery. I like the feel of the pen over what I think was a smaller one on the 2. It also seems to be a little more responsive.

I've done a bit of processing in C1-8 on the 3 and like having both a larger screen as well as the resolution. The limited testing I've done tethered using just the pen and my finger leads me to believe there won't be a huge problem in the field.

I haven't tried PS-CC on it and not certain I will. The main reason I have this is to tether and have a means of saving daily files until I get back in the studio. This is very close to a laptop for me however since I haven't figured out a try and true method of color calibrating the monitor I'll hold off doing any real work on it.

Don

GrahamWelland

Darn it ... I knew it was expensive hanging around the likes of Don & Ken (aka the enablers).

Loading up the new i5 256GB SP3 right now. :facesmack:

kdphotography

I had a senior moment when I wrote that. Thinking of C1-8 and Win 8.1 and ended up saying 8.1 instead of 8. Rereading this makes it sound like gibberish. Sorry for the confusion.

Back to work now...

Don
I was wondering, because I really don't know anybody that's exactly ecstatic about Windows 8....:loco: ...which is why I recommend and like using Classic Shell on my SP2. So now that you've clarified the matter, we know it's C1 Pro 8 you're talking about having on all your computers!

ken

jagsiva

I was wondering, because I really don't know anybody that's exactly ecstatic about Windows 8....:loco: ...which is why I recommend and like using Classic Shell on my SP2. So now that you've clarified the matter, we know it's C1 Pro 8 you're talking about having on all your computers!

ken
You could always run OSX on the Surface Pro (2 for sure, 3 is still being worked on):)

Don Libby

ken
Glad we got that cleared up :D

rga

Don
Now all we need is a firmware update from Phase One so that the IQ1's can take advantage of the multi-focus capabilities of C1-8. I sure hope it doesn't take as long as the firmware for USB3 took...:facesmack:

GrahamWelland

Bob,

Would that be the multiple focus meter views in live view or is there anything in tethered capture that will bring up multiple views - say a foreground/background view for tilt adjustments?

Day 2 - FINALLY windoze has finished it's updates, SP3 firmware updates, etc etc. Every time I get a new non-Mac laptop I remind myself how much I truly loathe windows ...

Now off to do some tethered testing again. I think that I need an anti-glare cover for the SP3 though as it's a mirror in bright sunlight.

rga

Bob,

Would that be the multiple focus meter views in live view or is there anything in tethered capture that will bring up multiple views - say a foreground/background view for tilt adjustments?
I don't know if it works in Live View, but it seems to me you can mark 3 focal points on an image and when you take the next image, it will show you all three at once. Per the Phase One page it says it currently only works on IQ backs,
Capture One Pro features
but it actually DOESN'T work on IQ1 backs. Doug Peterson stated a firmware upgrade will be out "soon"... When you try to do multi-point focusing on the captured image while tethered, you get a pop up error message saying you need a firmware update.

Since it doesn't work, I can't tell if it works with live view or only after the shot. IMO only when viewing the shot can you really tell... but that may just be my poor eyesight.

GrahamWelland

Bob,

I tried it with my IQ260 fw 5.11.36 which appears to be the latest public firmware version and the live view focus point selection gives me the same error regarding firmware update required.

I guess we're in version limbo at the moment where Phase One haven't updated publicly the back firmware to match the capabilities of C1 Pro 8.

rga

Sorry it's not working for at least the 2's amongst us...
Fingers crossed as it would be amazing for tilt!