The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New camera from Phase One?

hogweed

huuu, as thinking about this recently... rumors ( i heard) said Q1 of 2015,
well Q1 ends tonight...so...no idea

MILESF

For what it may be worth here are some thoughts:

Photokina happens every two years so there is no Photokina this year. Surely by 2016 the window will have closed ?

At the last Photokina LuLa did an interview with the CEO of Phase One who said first half 2015. But such statements in the past have come and gone.

There was a new trade show planned for London in May this year called Click the Photography Show. Phase One was listed as one of four main sponsors but the show has now disappeared without trace and the organisers told me this morning that it has been cancelled due to lack of support from the trade. There is a well established show 100 miles away in Birmingham in March every year so it's not an entirely a surprise that the UK market could not support two so close together. So the show went before it ever happened.

Chris Giles

Of all the camera manufacturers I know, the updated / replacement DF body is the longest running empty gesture I've seen.

I thought the replacement time for the Canon 1Ds3 was bad.....

kdphotography

I'm sure the new Phase camera body is on the horizon. :)

But I sure as hell haven't seen a replacement for the Canon 1Ds Mark III---which is an older body than the Phase DF+ for sure. No announcements from Canon either. It's at the point where I'm getting too old to hoist a big 1D series and may settle for 5Dsr. That must be the Canon strategy...:ROTFL:

I think this is going to be an expensive year for all enablers alike---in all formats. :chug:

ken

jagsiva

Bill, did you look outside today? Whatever DF++++ comes out, I think I'm still better off shooting with my tech cam in saran wrap for protection from our weather. I have waited so long now, that whatever will come out will still be a BIG YAWN!

Sorry for being so negative.....but I cannot imagine people that really do need an SLR and spent oodles on a Phase back and have been now waiting for this thing while 3 generations of backs have come and gone.

I picked up a friend's H5D yesterday - it's a lovely, functional thing that feels like it's a modern camera, not a rehash of something from 1990. It was good to see that a new design is possible. I felt even inspired by it... a revelation!

T.Dascalos

Not Available
I picked up a friend's H5D yesterday - it's a lovely, functional thing that feels like it's a modern camera, not a rehash of something from 1990. It was good to see that a new design is possible. I felt even inspired by it... a revelation!
Agree.... If it only had focal plane shutter included too, it would seem perfect!

carl-b

For what it may be worth here are some thoughts:

Photokina happens every two years so there is no Photokina this year. Surely by 2016 the window will have closed ?

At the last Photokina LuLa did an interview with the CEO of Phase One who said first half 2015. But such statements in the past have come and gone.

There was a new trade show planned for London in May this year called Click the Photography Show. Phase One was listed as one of four main sponsors but the show has now disappeared without trace and the organisers told me this morning that it has been cancelled due to lack of support from the trade. There is a well established show 100 miles away in Birmingham in March every year so it's not an entirely a surprise that the UK market could not support two so close together. So the show went before it ever happened.
And phase/Leaf/ mamiya were not on the list of exhibitors at this years show.

algrove

Heck just get a 645Z at under $8k and be done with it since their new sealed lenses are quite sharp.

AaronK

It's soon, but will be too expensive for me, given what the specs will likely be. DF+ bodies are still $5990, just like the DF before it. Demand must not be very high to say the least. No end of life fire sales in MFDB land. My prediction is the body will either be the same price, or closer to $9k, because they can.

Backward compatibility with older backs might be an issue as well, along with lenses. It may be a case of "be careful what you wish for", some difficult choices may have been made. Recall when film back support went away for instance. I've heard that AF technology is locked up in several patents still, and that the phase detection chips aren't made larger than 35mm; I expect more of less for more ($$) like before.

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

Well, I'm sorry I raised the subject! I can be patient but my DF is pretty ancient and well-used now. I have 6 lenses and an IQ180 so I'm heavily invested. I need a decent replacement.

Ken, thanks for the PM.

Bill

New Phase promotion: "Purchase a new IQ2 series digital back and receive a new DF+ camera and 80mm LS lens for free."

Probably the want to get rid of current DF inventory. So Defiantly something is coming very soon.

T.Dascalos

Not Available
New Phase promotion: "Purchase a new IQ2 series digital back and receive a new DF+ camera and 80mm LS lens for free."

Probably the want to get rid of current DF inventory. So Defiantly something is coming very soon.
Or they try to avoid people buying the back with another maker's body.... Or trying to persuade people to change the other maker's body they have... Or they are just too expensive and they discount accordingly.

kdphotography

Nothing new. I recall Phase has bundled camera bodies and the 80mm lens before. It's just further incentive to enter Dante's Inferno.

C'mon in.....

RVB

The fact it doesn't apply to the CMOS back might indicate that they also want to clear out their CCD inventory.

Rob

Last edited: