The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New camera from Phase One?

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

Two years ago I spent some time on a shoot with a senior engineer from Phase One who hinted strongly about a completely new camera to replace the DF. I haven't heard anything since - has anyone else?

Bill

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
I can hear the echo of the water dripping softly in the distance from the roof of the cavern.
But nothing about that.
-bob

Paul2660

Photokina,3 months away, more than likely they will wait till then, or pop the announcement just before.

That's if the announcement is coming this year.

Wouldn't a new body and 45mm TS-E lens be great!

Paul

Last edited:

steve_cor

For this new camera you are dreaming about, what are you hoping it will be like?

From what I have read, this is what people want from a new Phase One camera body:

Easier balance
Larger LCD panel
Larger viewfinder with split /micro prism for manual focus
AFL and AEL buttons you can reach and press easily, while still looking through the viewfinder
Multiple autofocus points
Viewfinder that shows exactly where the camera has locked focus
Custom bracketing choices
Bracketing and exposure to be decoupled
Focal plane shutter stays open during mirror lock-up mode when using leaf shutter lenses

--Steve

malmac

I am sure others have other points of critical interest.

"Viewfinder that shows exactly where the camera has locked focus"

The auto focus points need to be precise, not so broad in application that they remain largely irrelevant. backing up your point I think Steve.

The camera needs to at least be able to be used on the IQ 140/160/180 but obviously the P series back owners will also be looking for a possible upgrade.

The camera should at least match the feature list of the H5D ( I accept not with H's patented focus technology) - but things like a single button press custom white balance as an example.

and I am sure others have even more things on their wish list.

Mal

tjv

How about just rebranding and perhaps "modernising" the Hy6?
I.e.:
1: Make the camera's back rotate for landscape / portrait, rather than the back itself rotating.
2: At least three, preferably five widely spaced focus points in key positions within the frame, rather than bunched in the dead centre.
3: Battery in body that can also power the back or, if battery is installed in back, doubles the backs life (minus what it takes to power the body".)
4: Duel shutter system with option to keep focal plane shutter open to reduce shutter vibration in certain applications.

Oh yeah, and dreams are free...

hogweed

yes,
even if it will be larger and heavier, at least make the body 6x6, just like the Hy6. (this comes from a studio guy;-)
So we don't have to buy a new body again in 10 years when sensors may be larger.

Photokina is the best bet, it would seem that nearly every camera manufacturer is holding out to announce something in September or thereabout.

Schmiddi

yes,
even if it will be larger and heavier, at least make the body 6x6, just like the Hy6. (this comes from a studio guy;-)
So we don't have to buy a new body again in 10 years when sensors may be larger.
But: all lenses now are 645, so image circle won't reach 6x6. And if lenses have shade for landscape 645-format, you even can't turn the sensor... And larger sensor won't work, as image circle won't cover this. They should build a body where you can swap the mount from Mamiya to PQ :D
Andreas

tjv

That's part of the problem with digital in general, companies feel a need to stick to legacy designs, lens mounts and formats. How about they introduce a new range of lenses (I know, fat chance!) that does cover a 6x6 frame – so you can rotate the sensor – but retain the same mount? Is that possible? Again, dreams are free...

f8orbust

The speed of development is also a problem - it's achingly slow - too slow in fact to be optimistic about the health of the segment in the long term.

The DF was released in 2009 and 5 years later we're still wondering if a replacement will appear (and no, the DF+ doesn't count).

Paul2660

I think you will be happily surprised soon. Phase is due for their spring announcements and the new body seems to be priority number 1. It will be interesting to see what they come up with.

Paul