The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Use a Mamiya 55-110mm on a Mamiya DF?

Hello guys,
i ve heard, that some lenses won't work on the Mamiya/P1 DF camera. Is this right? Waht lenses won't work?

There should be a modification to this lenses for the DF cameras.?!?? I dont know..

Thank you.
regards
mueller123

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Every Mamiya AF and MF, D, and LS lens will work on the DF/DF+ with the one exception I'm aware of being SOME 105-210mm lenses.

A small number were produced with an autofocus CPU which is not compatible with modern bodies. Later production runs used a more modern CPU which is ready to use on a DF or DF+. To make them compatible requires changing out this CPU which I've only had customers do twice (maybe I'm forgetting another one or two?), and it was a while ago. So forgive me for the vagueness but the price for this service was something like $350. You can check with your dealer for exact pricing on Monday, assuming this service is still available (I have no reason to suspect it's not, but like I said it's been a while).

Of course my biased suggestion (being a dealer) would be to buy such a lens if possible from a dealer so that they are responsible for making sure it's in ready-to-use working order. But you could also buy used from another user who has a DF or DF+.

Edit: I had typo'd 55-110. As Steve very rightly says below it's the 105-210 where some of the earlier production runs had the older AF sensor. Thanks Steve!

Last edited:

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Another lens that I have that needed a CPU upgrade was the Mamiya 120mm macro too. I had to get mine updated a few years back to work with the DF.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Graham, I had never heard of this (or have forgotten?).

Was it a firmware update (less than $200) or a CPU replacement ($300+).

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Doug,

The lens had to go in for a CPU replacement I believe. It was handled by MAC group and arranged through Optechs. This was maybe three or four years ago?