The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Used MF body & back - Worth it?

D&A

Hi Deb & All,

I've read all the suggestions posted and realize there are many ways for Deb to analyze the advantages and disadvantages of each. I'm firmly in the camp that although some medium format digital cameras and backs have similar resolution to high end DSLR's like the D800, they do present a different look (and I might add a preferable one in my case) and for many applications provide a attractive alternative for many uses. I found this was quite consistant when I shot both the Pentax 645D and Nikon D800e, side by side.

I don't want this to come across as self promotion (that's not my intent), since as many know, I am currently selling my lightly used studio backup Pentax 645D body. For far less than half of the $8200 budget Deb is contemplating for the Phase system she mentioned, she could purchase a LN Pentax 40MP 645D body and have plenty of funds left over from her original budget to purchase a fine core selection of Pentax autofocus or manual focus 645 lenses and accessories. The 40MP resolution differs little for the just released Pentax 645Z. Whereas the 645Z has better high ISO performance, live view and additional refinement and features, the 645D has CCD output which some prefer for its look, good higher ISO performance up to 800 and 1200+ which is workable too.

It's drawback is of course is that its not a detachable back, so no tech use. Of course being an all in one unified body, has some nice advantages too.

Just one of many alternatives presented here, economical without a break the bank approach in case medium format is not ultimately the direction Deb wants to take down the road.

Dave (DA&)

Shashin

You are so close to the price of a 645Z (and certainly can afford a new 645D), that I would look at the Pentax. You could get a 45-85mm AF zoom reasonably and it would be a good place to start.

Like Dave, I also shoot a D800E. I still prefer my 645D.

I also shoot a p25+ back which has the same size sensor as the p45+. The then difference between that and the 645Z/D is not that great. The new 50MP CMOS 44x33mm sensor has some real advantages.

Now, if you want to mount the back on a view camera or tech camera (or a Holga or anything else you can think of), then the back is the way to go.

tsjanik

+1 for Dave's and Will's comments; you could buy a used 645D for around 3k and have enough left for a good range of used lenses (or one new one)

Thanks a lot everyone for your suggestions and feedback.
I think I'll wait it out a bit and maybe see if I can get my hands on the Pentax 645Z. I've learnt one thing from technology - its always better to stay current.
By the way - I had asked the dealer and they said that the purchase would come with a 1 year warranty.
But nonetheless - I'm not really unhappy with what my D800e does today, so I'll just wait it out before I'm satisfied of getting the right value from money I plan to spend.

Steve Hendrix

I think it is also important for Deb to quantify what she would hope to get from a medium format system (any system) that she is not getting from the D800e. I find breaking that down analytically helps to clarify the wisdom of the expense. If there is something that Deb is not happy with or would like improved on the D800e, she should have a clear idea of what it is before spending money on something (whether it be a Pentax 645D or a P45+) that promises more, but specifically more what to her?

Sometimes the answer to what a new system will give you is not so easy, but determining what you are missing from your existing system is one way of getting to that answer. Sometimes you find out you're perfectly happy with your system and that you've been chasing a lark.

Steve Hendrix
Capture Integration

ErikKaffehr

Hi,

I have seen a lot of good comments. I also have a P45+ back, although I am using it with a Hasselblad V-series camera.

My experience is a bit like Pauls, except I never shoot above 50 ISO. I also don't really have problems with protecting highlights and camera histograms work for me.

I bought the back used a year ago for 9900$US, which was a decent price at that time. It works well.

I have a few articles about my experience and comparing with my DSLR equipment which Sony (24 MP).

You find it all on this page: PhotographyArticles

To sum up, I wouldn't call buying the P45+ the smartest thing I did in my life, but I actually enjoy using it.

Best regards
Erik

Hi All,

I currently use a Nikon D800E system along with an assortment of some lenses i.e. a Zeiss 21 f/2.8, Sigma 35 f/1.4 Art series. I use this system primarily for landscapes, cityscapes, seascapes etc. I have for long being wanting to move to a medium format system, however the cost has always been a prohibiting factor.
I have recently been given an offer for a PhaseOne 645DF body + Phase One P45+ digital back + Schneider 80mm f/2.8 lens - all for roughly US$ 8200. Its used equipment and the sales rep told me that the camera has been sent to Phase One for replacing the low pass filter; and once back - I could make this deal.
I wanted your guidance on a) whether this is a good deal and b) what are things I should watch out for / look for when making this deal.
I'm a novice as far as MF is concerned and this would be my first real MF purchase.

I have time till next Monday to make a decision.

Your guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Best Regards
Deb

weinlamm

Why do you want to switch really? Is your Nikon-system not good enough for you or is it the feeling after reading here in the forum... :rolleyes:
Tried out to shoot via tripod + Mup? Try it if not. Then we could speak again. To buy a *good* tripod + head was the best investment I did ever. ;)

And I think the P45+ is a good back - and the DF a camera you should be possible to take good pictures with, too.
I can't understand the 'forum's opinion', that the DF is not good. I use for the same kind of pictures the older Phase One AF (same as Mamiya AFD III). It's very good for this kind of work. And I think I don't bring pictures home they are not good because of the camera... :rolleyes:

And if you are looking for more sharpness and more force in your pictures - I think switch to MF could be good. The option for a Tech.cam is a good possibility, too. I had to think about 22 MP MF vs. D800e. And I decieded me for the MF-version (mostly because of a feeling, but also because of the option for a Tech.Cam). And I'm happy with.
But I do 99% of my pictures with tripod + Mup. So I would say, that this should be your first tryout for testing what your Nikon-system really could give you.

f8orbust

Thanks a lot everyone for your suggestions and feedback. I think I'll wait it out a bit...
There's a good chance the kit will still be there when you make a decision. If not, just like a bus, another one will be along in a minute. MFD is a shrinking segment, and - short of a miracle of epic proportions - is likely to remain that way, so the purchasing power is with the buyer, you just need to do your homework. As an example, look at the CI website - an Aptus-II 12 for $19k … but Adorama just let a virtually new (10 shots?) IQ180 go out the door for $18k :loco:

:lecture: If P1/HB had abandoned their 'reassuringly expensive' pricing model some years ago that situation may be different, but sadly they didn't and in the near future those chickens are going to come home to roost as the needs of a new generation of video-savvy photographers brought up on high-resolution DSLRs and RED Epics shooting for multimedia-capable devices come to shape the nature of the high-end gear available (just remembered the laughable video on the P1 website when the IQ250 was launched of the young-hipster-dudes shooting snowboarding; in your dreams Phase One). Improvements in post-processing software allied to cameras like the D800/A7r means that the time when nothing could touch MFD has simply gone, and I wouldn't be surprised if the prize of ultimate-pixel-peeped-on-screen-IQ in a single digital capture from a consumer-grade device may even go to Canon when their foveonesque sensor technology appears later this year.

Jim

P.S. Really do have a look at the 645Z - it seems to be garnering a lot of praise. Martin Evening is reviewing it for the BJP and by all accounts is impressed. Pentax got to 3rd base with the 645D; this time it looks like they've hit the ball out of the park. The high ISO examples on LuLa look excellent, moreso than the equivalents from the IQ250 that I've seen. Amazing that P1 want 4x as much for the IQ250 as Pentax want for the 645Z - are they really incapable of failing to notice the rapidly changing world around them and reacting accordingly? As time goes by, one does begin to wonder.