The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Lee Filter system with wide angle lenses

Zerimar

Hello everyone!

I have a question about vignetting with wide angle lenses and the lee filter system.

I primarily use a HC 35 and 50-110 with a P45+ on my h2 body, I love the setup. Both of these lenses have 95mm front threads (I have the lee ring for it) which causes vignetting when I use it with the 2 filter slots, wide angle bellows hood, and 105mm cpl ring. The CPL causes a vignette which is troublesome in the corners of both lenses.

I am wondering if there was a way to remove the vignette problem in camera. I assume that if I sacrificed the bellows hood part and possible one of the filter slots it may be avoided, but I feel like that'd be sacrificing too much filter usability.

Any other members on here have similar experiences or a solution?

weinlamm

Which system is it exactly? I only have seen, that the 100mm-system has 82mm-filterholders.

And if it's the 100mm-System: It's very variable. Which strength have your filter-holder guides pairs? (there are 1mm, 2mm and 4mm).

Stefan Steib

There are large filter systems for superwideangles from Lee but also an alternative from Fotodiox and on Ebay you will find some stuff from Tiangya

Amazon.com : WonderPana 145 Neutral Density Kit - 145mm Filter Holder, Lens Cap, ND16 and ND32 Filters for the Nikon 14-24mm AF-S Zoom Nikkor f/2.8G ED AF Lens (Full Frame 35mm) : Camera & Photo

Amazon.com : Fotodiox Pro 145mm Circular Polarizer (CPL) Filter - Pro1 CPL Filter (works with WonderPana 145 & 66 Systems) : Camera Lens Hoods : Camera & Photo

145mm Pro Filter Holder Adapter Kit for Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Lens | eBay

Google the Fotodiox or look on youtube, there are some tests of people who used it, seems to be quite nice if you need this stuff for your shooting.

Regards
Stefan

Paul2660

The SW-150 style from Lee is made to mount specifically for the Nikon 14-24. It uses the built in lens hood as part of the mount. You might be able to get SK Grimes to make a custom mount for one, but they would need the lens and holder to make the adapter fit. The SW-150 holds 150mm wide filters and they should give you the coverage you need.

You can also remove one of the filter slots on your current setup. I bet that will take you back closer to the lens so you won't vignette. You can just unscrew the slots out. This would give you one normal slot and the 105mm CL-PL on front. I use this type of setup on my tech lenses and it works on all my wides except for the 28mm Rod.

Paul