The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Cleaning the rubber parts of the camera

Hello Guys,
i know this is not a special Medium format issue but i have this at my camera. And i what a clean camera because this is not only a lifeless tool for me. I like clean and good equipment. After some years the rubber parts of camera and lenses gets white. This is something like a white film over every rubber parts.

Do you have a good cleaning method do remove this. I know rubber contains wax and this is pouring of. But most cameras have a leather like surface and in the small grooves the white "film" is very hard to remove.

Do you use some cleaning chemicals? Some special coth?

Thank you. best regards
mueller

Paul2660

I would start with de-natured alcohol. The white material may also be a bit of rubber breaking down over time.

Once cleaned, you might need to coat the rubber with one of the commercial coatings for automotive needs, Armorall or a similar product. But use a very small coating. Spray the coating on a soft cloth and then apply to the rubber parts showing the issues.

Paul