The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Mamiya AF 105-210mm ULD good enough?

Hello,
i see some good offers for the Mamiya AF 105-210mm ULD. Is this lens good enough present day? Have somebody some experiences and pictures to show here? Is the new Phase One 75-150mm totally better?

Thank you.
Mueller

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Yes, the 75-150D is better. However, find the right 105-210 (you may need to try a few) and you can get a real bargain.

Paul2660

I owned one but sold it to purchased Jacks's Mamiya 210mm. The AF Mamiya 210mm is and excellent lens but does have a flaky hood.

The newer 75-150D is also an excellent but heavy lens.

Paul

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
It's important to add context to these questions. Very frequent forum members know which back you have, and what you do, but others may not.

In evaluating the quality of a lens the size and resolution of the back matters a lot, as does the type of subject matter.

For instance a 28D is really a pretty good lens for a P30+ landscape shooter. But the same 28D is mediocre for an IQ180 landscape shooter.

Wayne Fox

Workshop Member
For instance a 28D is really a pretty good lens for a P30+ landscape shooter. But the same 28D is mediocre for an IQ180 landscape shooter.
I would say this describes the comparison between the 105-210 vs 75-150. I have both, the 75-150 is quite sharp with my IQ180, the 105-210 sits in the closet. The 105-210 seemed OK (still not great) with the p45, definitely worse on p65, and pretty weak/unusable with the iq180. As with most zooms, some copies are better than others so you may luck out.

Hello guys,
Thank you for your info. Yes I could say something about my shooting interests: I have a DM22 back. I shoot landscapes. The low pixels are good for using older lenses. This is the background behind this question. Could I see a difference between the two lenses with 22mpix???hmmmm? I don't know!
The quality differences are one of the biggest problems I think. Especially if I bought from a private I could not give it back.

I Hope I could try one in the next week.
Best
Mueller

Steve Hendrix

Hello guys,
Thank you for your info. Yes I could say something about my shooting interests: I have a DM22 back. I shoot landscapes. The low pixels are good for using older lenses. This is the background behind this question. Could I see a difference between the two lenses with 22mpix???hmmmm? I don't know!
The quality differences are one of the biggest problems I think. Especially if I bought from a private I could not give it back.

I Hope I could try one in the next week.
Best
Mueller

Yes you could see a difference with 22 megapixels.

The 105-210 would represent a potential value purchase (compared to 75-150), but I wouldn't buy one without a return option from the source.

Steve Hendrix
Capture Integration

Hello Guys,
for your Information: I have bought a Mamiya 105-210mm. I am so curious about it. I will post a small review about my copy of this lens if it arrive....
best
mueller

Hello Guys,
as i said i have bought a used Mamiya 105-210mm ULD lens. This lens is not very expensive and you could get it at ebay. I have an old Leaf Aptus 22Mpix. Yes with newer 60Mpix there should be a problem, but this is not my configuation.

I have tested it at my special "standart wall" and here are the results.

First with 105mm full picture. Then with f6.3 and with f11 at 100%:

Of course the f11 picture resolution is better of course. But for landscape i will use it at f9 and above.. Wide open ist not relevant for me. At 105mm the lens is better than at 210m wide open. With f11 the resolution is comparable. For Outdoor shooters: The lens is not really heavy and is a good alternative, if you want to go light.

If i look here at this pictures at the forum i think they are smoother than the real pictures on my harddrive. I think a "compression thing" take account.

I have found not enough infos about this lens at the web and i want to bring some light in this "dark" area. :)
Thank you.
Best mueller123

Paul2660

I'd say you got a very good copy.

I had the 105-210, but sold it when I purchased a 210. I found I only needed the 210mm range and the weight of the 210 is much less.

The 210mm I purchased is extremely sharp, excellent optic, contrast is a bit less than I like, but that's easy enough to fix.

As you have discovered, the older AF Mamiya lenses, 210, 105-210, 55-105, and even the 75-150mm are bargins now. Most of them on the market have very low use and no fungus.

No doubt this lens you have now would easily work with a 40MP to 60MP back also.

Paul

ondebanks

At 105mm the lens is better than at 210m wide open.
I believe that this AF zoom lens is optically unchanged from the manual focus version (both are "ULD", and both have the same optical cutaway diagram).

I have the manual focus version and tested it on a Canon 5DII, wide open, focused with live-view, imaging a rich starfield with a star-tracking mount. So basically with thousands of point sources, any aberrations anywhere in the field would stand out very clearly. I tested it at 105mm, 120mm, 140mm, 170mm, and 210mm. These are at roughly equal spacing, in terms of focal length multiples.

What I found was that 120mm is the sweet spot. At 105mm, there seemed to be some very mild positive coma. The 120mm setting showed no position-dependent aberrations at all, within the 35mm full frame. Slight negative coma returned at 140mm and worsened through 170mm and 210mm. I bet most people could use this lens wide-open between 105mm -150mm without noticing anything untoward; I only saw the coma because stars are such demanding subjects. And these were all wide open, f/4.5, so coma will reduce as you stop down.

Central sharpness and field flatness were excellent at all focal lengths. Chromatic aberration was slight - not quite at the APO-like levels of the 120/4 A macro, but close. Vignetting was much lower than with the 120/4 A macro (but that lens is not really designed for infinity use). Overall, the zoom is an impressive performer. Not bad for a $120 lens!

Ray

Sagittarius, flat-fielded stack of images with the 105-210 MF zoom set to 120/4.5

r93mdue

I have found virtually no difference between the 105-210 AF ULD in the 105-150mm segment of focal length and the SK 75-150 LS lens in the same segment with my 645 DF+ and Credo 60 DB. The 105-210 is much lighter. Incredible optics. I bought it as a open box copy from Capture Integration. I had bought a used copy from elsewhere at first only to find out that the copy was not being recognized by the 654 DF+ body. The newer copy has no such problems. If one combines a good copy of 55-110mm AF f/4.5 with the 105-210 then you have a tremendous range available. I always found myself short with the SK 75-150mm LS lens. So finally I traded it in for a Alpa tech camera and Alpa Schneider glass.
Here are sample images with the 105-210.

http://www.getdpi.com/forum/members...amiya-645-df-credo-60-db-105-210mm-uld-af.jpg

http://www.getdpi.com/forum/members...amiya-645-df-credo-60-db-105-210mm-uld-af.jpg

Attachments

Paul2660

Glad to see you found such a good lens. For sure the weight difference is significant, as is the price point. I still have a non LS 75-150, which is a very good lens and have the older Mamiya 210mm, both are stellar.

I owned the 105-210, and mine was a good lens, but I found I tended to only be at the 210 range so I traded mine to get a fixed 210.

Only issue with my 210, is the built in lens hood has lost it's ability to stay fixed when in the pulled back position so it flops around. When in use and locked it's OK.

Paul