The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Lee Big Stopper

Paul2660

Does anyone know the thickness of the Schneider platinum IRND filters? Are they 2mm thick and will they fit the Lee holder for 4x4 sized filters?

Thanks
Paul

MARKC

Hi Paul,
It's 4mm thick. You need to order a pair of Lee 4mm guide from B&H... Hope it helps :lecture:
Mark

Does anyone know the thickness of the Schneider platinum IRND filters? Are they 2mm thick and will they fit the Lee holder for 4x4 sized filters?

Thanks
Paul

MILESF

Thanks, I was hoping they would be 2mm like the Lee Glass ND filters.

Paul
Having 2mm and 4mm slots would certainly make for complexity and I'm not sure I can get my head around how many adapters I might need to make good use of wide angle lens hood, push on 100mm, standard adapter etc. let alone where to pack them in my bag.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Btw, worth noting that the Schneider filter holder has 4mm slots with plastic friction screws to secure the filters from slipping out under their own weight.

Paul2660

Does the Schneider filter holder mount with the Lee rings? or do you have to purchase a Schneider ring.

Thanks
Paul

jotloob

Subscriber Member
I would shoot a colorchecker before the long exposure, that will give you a good start on a grey reference.

When I go with the 6 stop LEE ( I don't use the 10 stop very often), I am usually shooting water, so I have a "white" point in the water or "grey" point in the rocks that will be around. After applying the LCC, I then try to get a starting point by clicking on a subject in the photo with the WB tool in C1 or on a point on the colorchecker.

Paul
I use the Big Stopper and have no issues when I use a WhiBal card as a white balance reference. I then process with LCC as usual, but do not use that for white balance...

Bob

Color checker or WhiBal shots might be a partial solution , but are not very comfortable nor practical . I do hate such things .

I have two HELIOPAN ND screw in filters onsite . ND 0.9 and ND 1.2
None of them , not even stacked together , produces a blue color cast .
What I see is almost as neutral as without ND filter . LCC corrects that .

I was tempted by LEE's easy filter push in procedure . But I changed my mind . As you have to work with ND filters from a tripod anyway ,
I now prefer the "screw in" and no color cast over the easier push in and get the blue cast , you can't get rid off .
This might be valid for my CFV-39 and CFV-50 only . I don't know .
I regard my LEE LITTLE STOPPER as superfluous .:banghead: .

Should we have a thread for ND filter images ?

Paul2660

The Lee NH 0.9 glass filter is also excellent. I use it along with the 0.6. Neither of these show any color cast that I can see.

But as you mentioned the Heilopoan filters are excellent also.

I prefer the Lee setup since I can use the Lee wide angle hood also.

Paul

johnnygoesdigital

I've used the Lee Big Stopper for years with no issues. Perhaps your getting stray light through the eye piece. Try shooting with the VF closed when shooting long exposure times.

jotloob

Subscriber Member
The Lee NH 0.9 glass filter is also excellent. I use it along with the 0.6. Neither of these show any color cast that I can see.

But as you mentioned the Heilopoan filters are excellent also.

I prefer the Lee setup since I can use the Lee wide angle hood also.

Paul
I've used the Lee Big Stopper for years with no issues. Perhaps your getting stray light through the eye piece. Try shooting with the VF closed when shooting long exposure times.
For my ALPA I have designed and made an adapter to hold the LEE wide angle hood without using the filter thread . So screw in filters are no issue for me , except the inconvenience to screws them on .

There is no stray light as I use a technical camera with a OVF .