The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Back plate of Leaf aptus - trash!

Hello guys,
the protection cap/plate for a Leaf Aptus 5 with Mamiya /Phase One Adapter is really trash. I have the plastic version and the small 2 hooks break after 10 uses!!! :thumbdown:

I am really carefull with my equipment and everything looks like new, but not this cap.

Has everybody tried the metal protection plate from Phase one on the Leaf? It should fit? Because they have the same compatibility tho Mamiya Mount??!?!? This is very robust and well made.

Hmm i dont know?

Has anybody a number for buy a metal plate or an alternative solution?
Thank you.
Best
mueller

kdphotography

I'm not sure about Leaf, but the only "plastic" covers for the Mamiya Phase are for the back of the camera body, which I only use for temporary protection when my MFDB is off of the camera. (There was a plastic cap that fit over the 645 filmback)

The metal protective plate that fits over the Phase Mamiya MFDBs to protect the sensor is metal and close to bullet proof. I'd place bets it fits the Leaf back, but I'd check with your dealer to confirm.

Not inexpensive considering it is "just a metal plate" but it is worthwhile for the protection it provides. I had an extra one that I sold for cheap. Guy Mancuso is the only one I can think of that might have a few of these laying around...:ROTFL:

ken

I am only aware of a metal front cover over the mount and sensor. Bulletproof.

When I had my Aptus, I used the clear plastic cover snapped into place over the viewing screen without trouble. It was still going strong after 4 years use in and out of the bag. It even still had the plastic film still on it. Sorry for your trouble.

Robb

Steve Hendrix

Hello guys,
the protection cap/plate for a Leaf Aptus 5 with Mamiya /Phase One Adapter is really trash. I have the plastic version and the small 2 hooks break after 10 uses!!! :thumbdown:

I am really carefull with my equipment and everything looks like new, but not this cap.

Has everybody tried the metal protection plate from Phase one on the Leaf? It should fit? Because they have the same compatibility tho Mamiya Mount??!?!? This is very robust and well made.

Hmm i dont know?

Has anybody a number for buy a metal plate or an alternative solution?
Thank you.
Best
mueller

Hi Mueller -

If you have an Aptus, there is a metal plate for that model - the cost is $240. In the early days, I believe it was common to see a plastic Mamiya film back cover instead. I can't remember if metal plates were always available or if this became an option later, but they are available now for sure. Was this a pre-owned unit that was purchased? If it is a new unit, it should have the metal cover standard.

Steve Hendrix
Capture Integration

Hi Guys,
yes i bought a used back and this have only the plasic plate. I have seen a metal plate from phase one. Yes "Bulletproof" is the right word..!!! :)
I will put me "Want to buy" request in the Buy+Sell section...

Thank you.
Best mueller

Hi Robb,
not the claer palstiv cover on the LCD side... I mean the sensor side cover!!!

I am only aware of a metal front cover over the mount and sensor. Bulletproof.

When I had my Aptus, I used the clear plastic cover snapped into place over the viewing screen without trouble. It was still going strong after 4 years use in and out of the bag. It even still had the plastic film still on it. Sorry for your trouble.

Robb

ondebanks

I'm dubious of all these "bulletproof" claims. How many of you have actually fired a bullet at your capped DB? ;)

I'm talking to the Americans here, of course. None of us Europeans owns a gun :poke:

Ray

Hi Ray,
i think bulletproof is a ideal word for the phase one cap. Because the thinkness is so oversized to ask me. What they want to protect? Really!!!
mueller

PS: and i am from europe..! ;-)

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
The leaf metal cap is nicely made and has a rubberized surface too which I actually prefer to the somewhat over engineered and heavy Phase One covers. It helps with avoiding any scratch marks on it in the bag.

Both latch well and are arguably the toughest parts of any back.