The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Mamiya 210 ULD and m645 TC 2x

Frederic

Hi all,

Wondering if Mamiya 's 2x teleconverter works with their 210 f/4 ULD lens, maybe someone here has given this combo a try ?
The Kenko/Vivitar teleconverters protrude slightly less, would it be a better option with Mamiya glass in general ?

Thanks,
Frederic

ondebanks

I haven't tried that combination, but it should be no problem. The 210/4 ULD's rearmost element is well recessed - it won't clash with the protruding front of the Mamiya 2x N.

Up to the mid-1990s, before the AF line emerged, Mamiya used to state that all their manual focus lenses of 140mm and longer could be used with the 2x N teleconverter.

I have the 2x N and a lot of lenses...those of mine that categorically cannot mount the 2x N are:

24/4 C
35/3.5 N
45/2.8 C and S
55/2.8 N
70/2.8 LS
80/1.9 C
110/2.8 N
120/4 A
55-110/4.5 AF
105-210/4.5 C

And those of mine that can mount the 2x N are:
150/3.5 C
150/2.8 A
200/2.8 A
210/4 N

I also tried a Vivitar 2X TC, and it was very good. It has no fit restrictions, AFAIK.

Ray

RodK

On film it will probably be fine with the Mamiya 2x, but with the Vivitar your contrast may drop yielding a flat, contrast wise, image that needs work.
Even the Mamiya will flatten contrast, and the appearance of sharpness, somewhat.
On digital it will show up even more.
Rod

Frederic

I don't expect much, but the extra reach can be useful on those rare occasions... and it's cheap and weights nothing.

I can confirm the Vivitar does work with the 210 f/4, whereas the Mamiya I borrowed doesn't.