The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Need some advice, H1 or RZ?

A

apneaimages

I have a Hasselblad H1 kit with 80mm & Phase One P30. I got a offer to trade in this for a New Mamiya RZ ProIID and they do for free the P30 conversion to fit on the RZ. ( i get to 1 year new warranty for both).

I have a long time thinking that i love to have this one and get the posability to shoot some reall 6x7 B&W film plus that all those lenses or RZ are not that expensive!!!

Of course I lose AF focus, Zone system (that i love) and i get manual focus and a bigger camera (that for me was not a proble att all to handhold)

I have to as extra lens a 50-110 Hasselblad Zoom. (For this i could get some more extra RZ lenses)

So many pros & contras. Both cameras work for me for my style i am a slow photographer.

I hate H1 to shoot portraits and i love RZ for the rotared backs...

I can go on & on .. so anyway... what u guys say about this. I really love to hear your personal opinions.

Lambis
Btw..My kit now is
H1 (H2 Upgrade)
80mm
50-110mm
1 Polaroid magazin
2 film magazines
Phase One P30
Everithing as new and with very lite activations

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
I have a Hasselblad H1 kit with 80mm & Phase One P30. I got a offer to trade in this for a New Mamiya RZ ProIID and they do for free the P30 conversion to fit on the RZ. ( i get to 1 year new warranty for both).

I have a long time thinking that i love to have this one and get the posability to shoot some reall 6x7 B&W film plus that all those lenses or RZ are not that expensive!!!

Of course I lose AF focus, Zone system (that i love) and i get manual focus and a bigger camera (that for me was not a proble att all to handhold)

I have to as extra lens a 50-110 Hasselblad Zoom. (For this i could get some more extra RZ lenses)

So many pros & contras. Both cameras work for me for my style i am a slow photographer.

I hate H1 to shoot portraits and i love RZ for the rotared backs...

I can go on & on .. so anyway... what u guys say about this. I really love to hear your personal opinions.

[/I]
The mount for the RZ Pro IID is a Mamiya mount. This means you could buy a Phase One body or Mamiya AFDI, AFDII, or AFDIII to use as well. That would give you the RZ to use when you prefer the slower more manual workflow, and a 645 SLR to use for autofocus etc.

There are 100 posts here about the advantages and disadvantages of the Mamiya 645 vs. the H body. But sufficed to say it is a nice body and given that your primary concern is to have the RZ Pro IID available to you while maintaining an autofocus SLR body as an option it seems the perfect solution.

Doug Peterson, Head of Technical Services
Capture Integration, Phase One & Canon Dealer | Personal Portfolio

Last edited:
A

apneaimages

Thanks Doug

One question If i get a RZ ProIID and covert my Phase one do i need a adapter / mount to pursale for the RZ or is this mount included on the convertion of my Phase one Back and is it posible to rotate the Digi back as we can rotate Film backs on RZ?

lance_schad

Workshop Member
Thanks Doug

One question If i get a RZ ProIID and covert my Phase one do i need a adapter / mount to pursale for the RZ or is this mount included on the convertion of my Phase one Back and is it posible to rotate the Digi back as we can rotate Film backs on RZ?
If you swap mounts from H to AFD mount and want to use it on a RZ ProIID, then yes you will need an additional adapter that Mamiya markets for around $1000.
It does rotate as well and is a nice solution.

Lance

jdbfreeheel

I have this exact setup (RZ Pro II D and Mamiya AFD III) and love it. With my Leaf digital back, I can choose which camera body to use depending on the shot(s), location, etc. I love the RZ Pro II D but sometimes it's just too big and bulky.

I have the Mamiya adapter that lance shows. It's really nice and works nearly flawlessly.

Go for it. Mamiya glass for the RZ is so cheap too, how can you go wrong?

-Josh

lance_schad

Workshop Member
I have this exact setup (RZ Pro II D and Mamiya AFD III) and love it. With my Leaf digital back, I can choose which camera body to use depending on the shot(s), location, etc. I love the RZ Pro II D but sometimes it's just too big and bulky.

I have the Mamiya adapter that lance shows. It's really nice and works nearly flawlessly.

Go for it. Mamiya glass for the RZ is so cheap too, how can you go wrong?

-Josh
Plus the T/S adapter for the RZ is great . All in all you will have a great all around solution.

L

Clawery

A

apneaimages

Thanks Guys.
Off course my H1 system is great no way to think other that htat but the mainpoint (exept for the 6x7 Film format) is those exelent lenses and the Bellows Focusing that is precise and i can finaly focus down to a very close distance. For my way to shoot and in beauty Make up photos it will be great. Other think is that, as Chris say, the posability to use a waist level finder and try to transform my way to shoot. I see this to as a good way to get rid all bell & whispes and refocus more on the shoot!

The only one that scary me to death is the times that i need to handhold the Beast and i am used to hold cameras with my right hand (if there is a Grip) But maybe a monopod will be a solution.

But one think that i am wonder is follow. I have see that some use the RZ with a winder and digi back. Is it posible to overshoot the digital back, with a winder?

Last edited:

fotografz

The RZ back rotation has nothing to do with having an adapter mounted ... it is the camera back that rotates not the adapter.

I have a complete RZ Pro-II system that I've kept due to how good it is in relationship to how little you can get for it in resale. Fish-eye to 210 APO lenses, short barrel lenses, Imagon type soft focus 180mm, SB tubes, tilt/shift adapter, various finders, the whole ball of wax. It is an endlessly innovative system.

For quite a while I used it with a Leaf Aptus 75 Mamiya mount which was fabulous ... as suggested to you by Doug above, I also used a Mamiya 645 with the same Aptus/Mamiya mount digital back for more mobile, AF work.

Film shots with the RZ camera are breath taking. 6X7 does make quite a bit of difference compared to 645.

I am VERY interested in acquiring an adapter to use my Hasselblad H3D-II/39 digital back tethered to the computer (or use it with my Image Bank-II for the rare few times I'd be working mobile on location.) My assumption is that the adapters are dumb ... so the camera is configured in the same way as if the back were mounted to a view camera ... sync cord from lens to back, set the back to "Sync" mode. Which means I do NOT need to upgrade the camera to a RZ Pro-IID if I am correct. Am I correct?

BTW, Hasselblad does make a Waist/Lever finder for the H camera which allows for low shooting and a different perspective.

yaya

We make a "dumb" adapter for the RZ Pro/ ProII/ ProIID that allows you to use H mount backs from Leaf and Phase One.

With Leaf backs you need one sync cable from the lens to the back. With Phase backs you will need another wake-up or two shot cable. Both solutions work very well including rotation of the back.

This way you can keep your H1 and get a used ProII to save some money plus you don't have to change the mount of your back.

Hasselblad H2D/ H3D backs have got an additional latch at the top which doesn't let you mount them on this adapter.

Yair