The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Comparisons of 70HR, SK72 and older 90HR-W

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Just picked up my Rodie 40HR that I'd been patiently putting pennies in the piggy bank for and I was wondering about the best match for it as the next step up lens. Today I use the 23HR, now traded SK35 & 47, 90HR-W and 150 SK as my technical camera go to lens selection. However, now that I've replaced the 35/47 with the 40HR I was wondering whether the 70HR or SK72 might be a better fit than my 90HR-W? Now I'm very very happy with the older 90mm that I have although sometimes it can be a bit longer than I want. With that in mind I've been contemplating getting another 70/72mm that I can use with a tilt adapter on my Alpa (the principal reason I love the 90mm btw).

So, has anyone compared the Rodie 70HR & SK72? I had an SK72 but sold it but it was a great lens. I haven't tried the Rodie equivalent though. Anyone compared them or got comments?

Thanks

(apologies - I found an older thread on this exact subject: http://www.getdpi.com/forum/medium-...ks/30415-schneider-72-vs-rodenstock-70-a.html - deja vu! )

Last edited:

Paul2660

Have you considered the 60XL Schneider? Extreme shifts, no flaring, and very light weight.

My issues with the 90 HR are the flare problems. Really have to watch shots for a ghosting type of flare. I don't know if the 70mm has the same issue.

Paul

danlindberg

I've said it before, the SK 72L is on my shortlist for overall favorite lens I've come across. Besides the character in rendering I appreciate small size, light weight, flare resistant, contrary what most say I find my copy very sharp wideopen, can shift it 20mm on the long side with Credo 60, unusually good at 'both' infinity and for macro. (it even betters the newer 60xl for macro applications).
One superb lens.

Having said that, since you are (re)building your lens lineup around an HR40 it does make sense to stay in the family for consistant character throughout.

GrahamWelland

I think that there's a goldilocks analogy here somewhere when it comes to technical camera lenses - not too wide, not too long, and then ah, just right ...

What's with all these half measures??

40HR --> 60XL --> 90HR-SW :)
Doug: In the world of sales we like to have folks who are somewhat financially extended with trophy homes, kids in college, divorce/alimony, living well etc. These guys are hungry to make money so that they can afford their lifestyle, or in this case their technical camera lenses. My EVP of sales would thank you for the motivational pressure on my wallet. :ROTFL:

tjv

The 90mm HR is my go to lens and it's very sharp, but the flare you mention really is its fatal flaw. It drives me insane!

Have you considered the 60XL Schneider? Extreme shifts, no flaring, and very light weight.

My issues with the 90 HR are the flare problems. Really have to watch shots for a ghosting type of flare. I don't know if the 70mm has the same issue.

Paul

Paul2660

Yes, it's a great lens but the ghosting is a real problem. It's strange as it can happen with the sun behind me. Seems more noticeable when I have a blue sky on a tightly framed shot. Still working to find a hood that may help. My 105mm Rodenstock did it also very similar type of flare.

Paul

GrahamWelland

Are you getting the same problem when using something like a LEE or compendium hood btw? I have the HR-W (not HR-SW) and don't really suffer too badly with this but that said I'm somewhat paranoid about using a hood or shielding the lens from the sun with my body.

Now if you want flare and red spots, let's talk 23HR ...

Last edited:

Paul2660

So far I have only tried the Lee wide angle hood and did have the problem.

I have the Lee standard hood and a screw in style still to try.

Curious shout the New 100mm Schneider which would easily fit where I use the 90. Supposed to be an excellent lens when they start to ship.

Paul

Paul2660

I had heard that the lens was still going to be released. Supposedly a large order went to China. I guess we will maybe get more info in September.

Paul