The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Backpacking in the Wind Rivers: Planning, Decisions and Other Musings

dchew

This Friday I am headed to the Wind River Range in Wyoming with my brother for some backpacking and light class 3/4 climbing. This thread is meant to document my preparation, what-to-bring decisions, and ultimately my experience and a few photos. Starting this thread will at least be fun for me, and hopefully will help others considering what camera gear to take with them and how to pack it all.

First about the Wind Rivers: From afar they are not nearly as dramatic as the Tetons to the Northwest. But it is a significantly larger range with higher peaks, much longer approach hikes, and far fewer people. It takes 10-15 miles of hiking just to get into the range. But because the trailhead elevations are higher, the elevation gain isn’t quite as much as other places like the Tetons or Sierras. The two trailheads we are starting from are at ~8000 and ~9250 feet (in comparison, Jenny Lake, the typical starting point for many Teton climbs, is under 6800 feet). The current plan is to go in twice: First in for 2 nights, back out to regroup and spend one night in a hotel, then back in for 4 nights at a different trailhead. These plans tend to change based on weather and other conditions, so we’ll see… In September the weather should be highs in the 60’s, lows in the 30’s. There is of course a high standard deviation in those figures. Could be 80, could be a foot of snow that won’t melt until next spring.

My brother and I have been planning this for months, but not in earnest until the last several weeks. We have been many places together, including climbing most of the peaks in the Tetons, several mountains in Washington and a few in Colorado and Alaska. So although this is somewhat second nature to us, for me this one is different because it is the first time I’m taking a MF camera with me (hence this thread). I debated and waffled back and forth about bringing this gear, since I also have a Sony a7r. In the end I decided to bring both. Here is my current plan related to camera gear:
Alpa STC
IQ180
40hr-w, 60xl, 90hr-sw
Sony a7r
Sony FE 35mm (weighs almost nothing), Leica 90 f/2

Other Misc Camera stuff:
Clik small chest pouch for a7r and both lenses
Sync cord & spare
Ground glass
(2) hex wrenches for tripod and baseplates
(4) 32g CF cards
(4) 32g SD cards
72mm polarizer w/ step rings (for the Alpa)
72mm Hoya 64 PROND filter
CF for 60xl
55mm polarizer w step rings (for the Sony)
Leica Disto E7500i
(4) Phase One batteries
(4) Sony batteries

If my Galen Rowell Photoflex chest pouch wasn’t so frayed and on its last legs, I would take that because I like it better than the Clik; it is lighter and I can see my feet better with the Rowell design.

I won’t bore you with the backpacking gear (unless someone posts that they want to know).

It will be interesting to see how much of this drops off my list after the first 2-night trip. We should start a poll to see who thinks the Alpa will still be in my pack for the second trip! Near as I can tell, all-in I’m at about 22 lbs of camera gear, and about 50 lbs for everything. The reason for bringing both cameras is basically because I’m lazy. If I have one camera and it is stowed in the backpack, I will stop to photograph very infrequently because it is too much work, and I don’t want to hold up my brother unless there is a stellar photo opportunity. So I need an easily accessible camera, preferably in a chest pouch. The a7r is relative light, and it is so good that I consider it a back up for the MF. That leaves me with why bring the MF? It adds ~ 11 pounds to my back and marginally better photos. The answer (for now!) is I just love the way I shoot with a tech camera. Plus, the opportunity to come back with that kind of detail from a place that rarely sees a camera of this quality has me excited. However, despite my love of photography, I love the mountains more. So if the camera limits my ability to travel where I want to go, I will leave it behind without a second thought.

BTW, I am still debating between the Arca Swiss D4 and my RRS BH-40, which is so much smaller and lighter (3/4 of a pound lighter). Because I often shift-stitch two images together, I’m bringing the ground glass for composition. I made my own masks for 54x40, 76x54 (max V-shift) and 90x40 (max H-shift) formats. I like the ground glass better than live view because I can see the whole stitched image at once, and because battery power will be precious. What does all this have to do with tripod heads? Well, with the ground glass a standard ballhead like the BH-40 won’t be as annoying as it is when doing the shoot-review-reposition-shoot-repeat dance. I can do that with a Cube or D4, but I go crazy “nudging” a ballhead around blind. The thing I will really miss on the D4 though is the very accurate bubble levels. The ones on the STC are often too high to see, and frankly not as accurate. I could use the one built into the IQ180. Hmm…

The second big debate I can’t seem to get out of is which backpack. Here’s where I put Guy to shame: I won’t begin to tell you how many camera bags and backpacks I have. Let’s just say I have all three F-Stop bags (Loka, Tilopa BC, Satori), along with just about every brand of internal frame backpack you can think of. We’ll just leave it at that, ok? I’ve had stuff strewn all over the floor for weeks now going back and forth. At this point my wife can't wait for me to leave!

I’m stuck between two very different approaches: A Boreas Lost Coast 60 and the F-Stop Satori. The Satori is supposed to be 62L, while the Boreas is 60. But I can fit a lot more into the Boreas because it has a top skirt that is very adjustable (marvelous pack BTW). I was a bit disappointed when the Satori showed up; I thought it would be bigger, but it isn't much bigger than the Tilopa BC. I have to strap the tent to the bottom of the Satori, and even then it is very tight, to the point of me worrying a bit about the Alpa lenses as the ICU gets stressed and deformed. Either way the Alpa will go in the F-Stop Small Pro ICU. Obviously the F-Stop is designed for cameras, so would be easier to deal with in most situations since I can just drop the pack and unzip the back panel for instant access. However, with the F-Stop I have to drag the whole pack around when I’m shooting and moving 20 feet one way or the other, while with the Boreas I just pull out the ICU from the top and carry that around. Decisions, decisions…

Anyway, more to come. I will update this as I go, then include a webpage link to the SPOT tracker so anyone really bored can see where I am going.

Feel free to debate along with me if you like. One test I will do in the next few days is to remove everything that is not essential, then put the pack on and feel the difference. I’ll do that with and without the Alpa stuff.

Ciao,
Dave

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
I used to work with a world class mountaineer who would climb with a Rollei 35 in the film days...fully aware of Ed Viesturs and the iMax.

My thought is simplify...focus on your best lens and the Alpa...only one as you can make a long a wide with enough shift...I would recommend the TC over the STC...panorama in rotation not shift...and the A7r for the climbing part...handheld while in route.

Two packs for the ascent and the approach...kept it simple and light so that you might even enjoy the climb.

Irregardless love to see the pictures when you return.

Stay safe!

Bob

tsjanik

Dave:

Sounds like a wonderful trip. One marvelous sunset or sunrise at camp and you'll be happy to have the Alpa.

Good luck,

Tom

dchew

My thought is simplify...focus on your best lens and the Alpa...only one as you can make a long a wide with enough shift...I would recommend the TC over the STC...panorama in rotation not shift...and the A7r for the climbing part...handheld while in route.
I bought the 60xl just for that reason. If I could only carry one lens...

In regards to the TC, I gotta go with the camera I have! But personally I'm more into shift stitching vs. rotation.

Two packs for the ascent and the approach...kept it simple and light so that you might even enjoy the climb.
You bring up a really good point; the Boreas is much more versatile and can double as an ascent pack; it's lighter and more collapsable. The F-Stop does only one thing really well.

Irregardless love to see the pictures when you return.

Stay safe!

Bob
Thanks Bob!

Dave

PeterL

I did not see you mention which tripod you're bringing? I would go for the D4 head though.
Also agree with Bob - one lens for the Alpa, probably the 60XL, it's the KISS principle.

Have a fun trip!

Cheers, -Peter

Paul2660

Dave,

Have a great trip. All the camera gear alone would fill a backpack, you need a porter:D

Can't go wrong with either the 40mm Rod or 60XL, but out there if I had to only carry one, I would go with the 60XL.

Should be a great time to be out there.

Paul

dchew

I did not see you mention which tripod you're bringing? I would go for the D4 head though.
Also agree with Bob - one lens for the Alpa, probably the 60XL, it's the KISS principle.

Have a fun trip!

Cheers, -Peter
Peter,
Oops forgot to list the tripod: RRS 24L

You guys are starting to sway me on the lens. My widest lens between the two systems would be the 60 shifted, which is about a 28mm in 135 format. Maybe that's wide enough...

But that 90 is so good!

Dave

Shashin

My bet is you ditch the a7r and take the Alpa with either the 40mm or 60mm and stitch handheld by simply panning the camera. You can alway crop to get the a7r resolution. You just need a lumbar pack for the Alpa that has a shoulder strap and a loop where your backpack waist belt can slide through to support the weight. Get a walking stick that doubles as a monopod.

Looking forward to the photos...

Geoff

Sounds like a great trip. Lucky guy.

Interesting that you find the F stop bags limiting. They are a bit to use, but quite comfortable, no? I agree it is more a photog's pack and not a pure hiking pack. Are you familiar with: rotation180 Professional: Outdoor Camera Backpacks | MindShift Gear
not that you need another pack! But I wonder if this wouldn't help with the "camera in the front, camera in the back?" dilemma.

As to the overall pack, a few ideas offered:
- leave one lens? The 60 will do (maybe?), if stitched. Or perhaps the 40/90 combo? Hard to choose.
- is the Disto necessary?
- while the geared head is great, the BH40 is lighter. For major hiking, I'd go for less weight.

Hope this doesn't mean you aren't doing Silo City in October….
Geoff

Charles Wood

This sounds like the backpack I did in the Winds about 13-14 years ago (no climbing) with camping gear, a 645n/lenses and a Fuji G617. Should be a fun trip--hope you have a strong back! Take some bug repellant, there may still be some lingering mosquitoes.

dchew

Geoff,
My only real problem with the F-Stop Satori is that it is not big enough for what I'm doing. I love the packs and find them very comfortable. In fact my gear normally sits in an F-Stop Loka. I probably could have fit everything for the 2-day trip, but not the 4-day. At least not packed in a way that takes advantage of the access panel, with the ICU open facing your back. It is simply a packaging problem.

I have seen the MindShift packs, but have never tried them. I can't imagine loosening my hip belt with 40+ pounds in the backpack for any length of time. My wimpy shoulders would cry foul in less than a minute.

Is the Disto Necessary? Good question. I think it speeds me up since I don't have to think about distance or focus bracketing. If I ever tilt it really helps me. If I end up with just the 60xl, I probably don't need it.

Dave

Sounds like a great trip. Lucky guy.

Interesting that you find the F stop bags limiting. They are a bit to use, but quite comfortable, no? I agree it is more a photog's pack and not a pure hiking pack. Are you familiar with: rotation180 Professional: Outdoor Camera Backpacks | MindShift Gear
not that you need another pack! But I wonder if this wouldn't help with the "camera in the front, camera in the back?" dilemma.

As to the overall pack, a few ideas offered:
- leave one lens? The 60 will do (maybe?), if stitched. Or perhaps the 40/90 combo? Hard to choose.
- is the Disto necessary?
- while the geared head is great, the BH40 is lighter. For major hiking, I'd go for less weight.

Hope this doesn't mean you aren't doing Silo City in October….
Geoff

Steve C

Everybody does it differently. I have faced the same dilemma many times and have always been glad to have brought my IQ180 tech camera after getting home. If it was up to me, I would bring the STC with T/S adapter, 40mm and 90mm lenses, no ground glass or Disto (bracket focus), use iPhone Artist's Viewfinder App for regular and pano lens selections / camera positioning confirmed with Live View. I have been quite happy using only a leveling head on my tripod since all image adjustments are usually done with movements on a leveled tech cam. You may want to add a 2 stop grad to your filter kit. Also, a rain cover and Lee WA filter so you can keep working when the weather gets interesting. Bring the A7r or smaller (Sony RX100ii) for "happy snaps" and climbing shots. Sounds like a great trip into a spectacular setting. Check out David Muench's work on the Wind River range for inspiration.

dchew

I would go for the D4 head though.
You two are not helping!
:)

Problem is I can always justify the weight of some thing on its own. It is a rigorous culling of extraneous stuff that adds up to less weight, eh? Disto, D4, ground glass, the third lens (and maybe the second too)... Now it starts to add up!

Dave

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Weight can seem inconsequential at the start of a trip but once you are committed...300 feet from the summit, pinned down by a storm or winds, running on reserves it can be significant.

Pack light move fast shoot a bunch ... climbing and shooting out of the back of a car trunk are two extremes....

I remember a thread in the LF forums discussing the relative merits of strollers when packing....carry all the film holders and the 8x10 camera and lenses.

I assume that most will agree that you will always wish you had a different lens body tripod at some point on a trip.

Bob

dchew

Ok I'm getting somewhere...

Pack - Boreas. It was Bob's point about an ascent pack that pushed me over.

Tripod Head - D4. I've been using a Cube for four years, so it's been a long time since i used a ball head in the field. I went out shooting for an hour with the BH40. It's the need for two hands to adjust that killed it. I can make fine adjustments with the D4 using one hand. Much better for me.

Lenses are still up in the air, as is the Disto. But I'm leaning toward either the 60 alone or the 60/90 combo.

Time to clean up and print some more maps!

Dave

dchew

Steve,
Thanks for the Muench lead. I did not know he had images from the Winds. Interesting that most of his images are from the Southern part of the range where we won't be. We will be up North around Gannett, New Fork, Peak Lake and Indian Basin.

Ciao,
Dave

Everybody does it differently. I have faced the same dilemma many times and have always been glad to have brought my IQ180 tech camera after getting home. If it was up to me, I would bring the STC with T/S adapter, 40mm and 90mm lenses, no ground glass or Disto (bracket focus), use iPhone Artist's Viewfinder App for regular and pano lens selections / camera positioning confirmed with Live View. I have been quite happy using only a leveling head on my tripod since all image adjustments are usually done with movements on a leveled tech cam. You may want to add a 2 stop grad to your filter kit. Also, a rain cover and Lee WA filter so you can keep working when the weather gets interesting. Bring the A7r or smaller (Sony RX100ii) for "happy snaps" and climbing shots. Sounds like a great trip into a spectacular setting. Check out David Muench's work on the Wind River range for inspiration.

jlm

Workshop Member
what i have done for my yearly (five night ) backpacking (no mountaineering anymore) trips now for the last five or six years is to focus on ultralight camping gear; you can make some major weight savings. my wife and i share the cooking gear and tent and food for five summer season nights and each carry a total weight of 20lbs or less, and i bring the Oly em1 and one or two lenses.

have a good time!

WildRover

Dave,

David Muench has photographed extensively in the Wind River Range. He has recently done several nearly hour long slideshow video interviews with Charlie Borland at Charlie's pronaturephotographer.com website. Each video showcases a different portfolio from David Muench. I found them very compelling and had a marathon session viewing them all…..good stuff. You can find them on youtube. Here's the Wind River video. Enjoy and have a great time on your adventure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2IBhBgZZPw

Rick

Ken_R

Ok I'm getting somewhere...

Pack - Boreas. It was Bob's point about an ascent pack that pushed me over.

Tripod Head - D4. I've been using a Cube for four years, so it's been a long time since i used a ball head in the field. I went out shooting for an hour with the BH40. It's the need for two hands to adjust that killed it. I can make fine adjustments with the D4 using one hand. Much better for me.

Lenses are still up in the air, as is the Disto. But I'm leaning toward either the 60 alone or the 60/90 combo.

Time to clean up and print some more maps!

Dave
Wow, sounds like an awesome trip!

You seem to have really though it through which is extremely important on overnights in remote areas.

It is always to go as light as possible in regards to camera gear in the high country.

I have travelled with just one lens (the 40mm HR) with my IQ160/Arca RM3Di setup and did not regret it but I researched the EXACT spots I wanted to photograph from and even the angle of view I would need to make the compositions (using google earth and photoshop) I wanted (and factored some flexibility in there). I also carried the Arca external viewfinder in a pocket so as to have it accesible at all times to make compositions before deciding to get the gear out. Worked great. The disto is a must if you plan on making near-far shots with wide angles or use longer lenses (longer than 40mm). So the decision to bring it is dependent on that.

4 batteries is kinda tight for the IQ180 if the weather is cold and you are staying out 3 days or more.

I would ditch the ground glass (I never use mine) and just use live view. But you bring good points in regards to battery power and pano compositions. But generally I do not want to remove the back from the camera so as to minimise exposure to the dust and elements.

I always use a ball head in the field and have found it more than suitable. Again, I would go as light as posible without sacrificing stability.

Regarding the Backpack I generally bring one a tad larger than I need so as to be able to cinch it down and to not be at the limit of its carying capacity (but just below it). Fit and comfort (long distance hikes and climbs) is of upmost importance. I put my photo gear in pouches and throw them in there. It has worked great for me. I also sometimes use a light summit pack if I plan to climb to summits and leave the larger pack along with most of the gear at camp but again you can use the large pack for that and just cinch it down for summit day if you have much less stuff in it.

Weather. I have camped and hiked in the Colorado high country in late september and have gotten a wide range of weather. Expect snow above 10,000 feet during the last week of sept. Below it you can get snow but nothing major and it is much less likely. Could be wet. Thunderstorms are less likely so late in the season but I experienced one near maroon bells one sept 24 afternoon and it was NASTY. I mostly slept at 9,000 feet and was warm in my 15F down bag inside my tent even when I woke up to a tent full of frozen dew outside. I would bring a similarly rated bag. Again if its warm, you can always use it as a quilt. :D

Geoff

Dave -

There is an old British rule about packing: lay everything out that you need, and take half.

Talk about not helping! :)

Hope you are still coming to Silo City in October tho….