The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Capture One and 8 core macs tethered

tashley

Subscriber Member
Just so as y'all save yourselves a trip to support, you can't reliably shoot tethered on an 8 core. My old style macbook pro handles it fine but live preview and focus mode crash my 8 core Xeon mac pro pretty much every time and Phase support have told me it's not going to work without a software update, which they hope to implement for the next release.

No biggie for me for now, I can wait and use the Macbook but I though it might be useful for people to know.

Tim

Last edited:

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
FWIW...

If you pull all but 2G RAM on your 8-core, it works fine. Not an ideal solution, but at least a workaround until we get the updated fix...

tashley

Subscriber Member
FWIW...

If you pull all but 2G RAM on your 8-core, it works fine. Not an ideal solution, but at least a workaround until we get the updated fix...
Thanks Jack!

I really start to understand what it's like to be cursed... must stop raiding pyramids for antiquities!
:ROTFL:

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Tim:

Indeed, you do seem to be saturated in mummy dust, especially when it comes to Phase and Mamiya!

:ROTFL:,

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
I hear that one way to counteract the curse is to construct a pyramid over your bed.
I am seriously entertaining the idea, although my curses have affected me in other areas :bugeyes:
-bob

But on the tethered thing, I have found it very convenient to use a macbook pro in the studio and then to just copy the session to the macpro after the shoot.

tashley

Subscriber Member
I hear that one way to counteract the curse is to construct a pyramid over your bed.
I am seriously entertaining the idea, although my curses have affected me in other areas :bugeyes:
-bob

But on the tethered thing, I have found it very convenient to use a macbook pro in the studio and then to just copy the session to the macpro after the shoot.
LOL... the vest isn't that bad... ;)

Has anyone tried shooting tethered outdoors in daytime using heavy ND filters on the lens to enable the sensor to work within its comfort zone?

LOL... the vest isn't that bad... ;)

Has anyone tried shooting tethered outdoors in daytime using heavy ND filters on the lens to enable the sensor to work within its comfort zone?
My experience is that when using "normal" 2 or 3 stop ND filters (B+W brand) there is little color shift. However when I've used the 6 stop or 13 stop ND filters there is an increasingly large color shift. The best way I've found of handling it is to shoot a GMB color chart with the filter, change it to DNG and run the file through the DNG profile editor and save that recipe to use.

I use a Phase One P45, so other brands of sensors may give different results.
FWIW my 13 stop ND filter exposures are iso 200, 8 sec at f5.6 on a sunny Arizona midday, so it isn't as though there is a really long exposure and thus I am attributing the color change to the filter.

Mark

tashley

Subscriber Member
My experience is that when using "normal" 2 or 3 stop ND filters (B+W brand) there is little color shift. However when I've used the 6 stop or 13 stop ND filters there is an increasingly large color shift. The best way I've found of handling it is to shoot a GMB color chart with the filter, change it to DNG and run the file through the DNG profile editor and save that recipe to use.

I use a Phase One P45, so other brands of sensors may give different results.
FWIW my 13 stop ND filter exposures are iso 200, 8 sec at f5.6 on a sunny Arizona midday, so it isn't as though there is a really long exposure and thus I am attributing the color change to the filter.

Mark
Hi Mark,

I don't mean for shooting, though that was useful info - I mean because anything other than indoor and low light or outdoor dull light and stopped down fully, the sensor blooms to psychedelic and white in the live view window on the monitor and stopping the lens down makes it hard to get selective focus right so I thought of using ND....

E

edwinb

Thats a sound approach that I know other users are doing
Edwin