The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica S replacement at Photokina

I suspect that Leica's undoubtedly significant investment in the design and inhouse manufacturing of the T-series -- CMOS, mirrorless, EVF, video, new UI technology -- likely portends the future direction of S development. Perhaps not at this Photokina, but I'll bet at the next one we'll see a totally redesigned body shaped to accomodate the great S-series lenses.

Can't happen soon enough for me :~)

PeterA

Leica have bought out out a fantastic set of cine lenses ...I wonder if they would be able to be hooked up to the new 4K S?

gerald.d

Leica have bought out out a fantastic set of cine lenses ...I wonder if they would be able to be hooked up to the new 4K S?
The cine lenses wouldn't get anywhere close to covering a medium format sensor.

Kind regards,

Gerald.

Ken_R

The cine lenses wouldn't get anywhere close to covering a medium format sensor.

Kind regards,

Gerald.
True. I think the widest sensor of the digital cinema cameras is the red dragon sensor and it is 30.7mm wide. (baring the Panavision 70mm camera and the supposedly upcoming Arri 70mm digital cinema camera) Most are less than that.

tjv

I would have thought that the CINE lenses had much to small image circle for the S sensor, plus flange distance would be too large.

gerald.d

It's a spam account. Reported to the mods.

/edit

Double checked - yup, definitely a spammer. Probably a bot - automatically picking up phrases already posted in thread, and then reposting with a smiley.

Best keep an eye on new accounts because there's rarely just one of them active at the same time.

anGy

For those who were still in the doubt, Leica officially communicated to the press today that a new S body will be announced at PK (pro press announcement, no details)

tjv

Two more days, eh? I'd love to see an entry level S body, even if it's just the old S with a few firmware tweaks continued in parallel with the new body. I'm a technical camera user primarily, so some wide and normal FOV tilt-shift options would really convince me to ante-up once and for all. Otherwise, I'm pretty committed to going the Blad or Phase back route. Still, I loved using the S when I demoed it. Beautiful files, too! In short, could be an exciting Photokina!

20,000 AUD = 18,000 USD?
Maybe... they also have to pay the upside-down tax.

Doing the re-packaged "old but new" thing does seem likely, since they're already trying to copy Apple's style, may as well do the "last-year's product is our entry level" thing too.

If 4K is actually a feature only for this new camera, I sure do hope they don't half-аss it and add stuff that would make it worth it, like:
- no line-skipping
- at least 10-bit 200Mbps Long-GOP internal recording
- color profiles, including a flat profile for maximum dynamic range
- audio in/out
- zebras and aspect ratio masking
- clean monitor/recording output

tjv

Mate, that's a bloody hard sell at $25K USD! Same pixel count as older model? Epic fail in my book. I know people disagree with me here, but that's pretty pathetic in light of the market segment and competition. Live view and focus peaking are great though. 4K video at 60 frames per second is pretty cool, too. Credit where credit's due, for sure. Personally, I'd be just as happy with the type 006.