The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sony have just launched a digital back (not MF, but who knows where this will lead)

jagsiva

That would have been cruel :)

Interesting concept, but not sure of it's value until there is a larger sensor behind the lens. Otherwise all you are getting is a frankencamera without a UI or screen that you use your smartphone on. In that context, is one not better served with something like and RX100III that is better integrated through the image chain and significantly more compact and flexible?

Now, if they put their 50MP back on this, and I can use an iPad mini or some android device behind it, then WOW! Integrated video feed via HDMI/mDP, with bypass for an electronic VF......optional, direct uncompressed video and stills recording....

Add a shutter module or eshutter, and different mount options for MF or 35mm lenses, another option with a helical for tech lenses, and LV on the attached tablet....oh wait, I think I just wet my self, gotta go.

MILESF

There'll be some hits and some misses on the way but at least Sony is getting back to being brave enough to innovate as they used to.

jotloob

Subscriber Member
I was thinking of putting the (not MF) in the post rather than the title, but that would have been too cruel.

Details here -

(SR5) First pictures of the ILCE-QX1 E-mount camera! | sonyalpharumors

Interesting to see that they are into the overall concept, and I suspect some enterprising souls will do very interesting things with this.

Kind regards,

Gerald.
I like the idea and think this would be a great progress for MF digital .
No tethering but wireless control from a smartphone or tablet .
But I think NFC is still not the best method , despite the fact that APPLE does not have NFC implemented in any of their smartphones or tablets yet .

gerald.d

I like the idea and think this would be a great progress for MF digital .
No tethering but wireless control from a smartphone or tablet .
But I think NFC is still not the best method , despite the fact that APPLE does not have NFC implemented in any of their smartphones or tablets yet .
I wouldn't worry too much about NFC. NFC is, I believe, typically used just to initiate a pairing between two devices or carry out very small transactional sessions. It wouldn't be used for the ongoing control of one device by another.

Kind regards,

Gerald.