The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

HB H5X announced

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Can the H5X be used with the H4D-40 or H3D/H2D digital backs?
I guess so. This from Hasselblad's home page:

"Although aimed primarily at current H1, H2, H2F and H4X users wishing to upgrade to H5 capabilities, the H5X can naturally act as a backup for H5D users too."

Last edited:

modator

I guess so. This from Hasselblad's home page:

"Although aimed primarily at current H1, H2, H2F and H4X users wishing to upgrade to H5 capabilities, the H5X can naturally act as a backup for H5D users too."

Very interesting, so maybe in te future they can sell separately h5d backs...

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
No. Older Phase backs yes, older Hassy H backs no.
Why then do Hasselblad publish the photo above?

Edit:
Ah... I see. Those are the CF and CFH backs, those that were compatible with H1 and H2. So anything (almost) except the backs from H3D and H4D then.

Last edited:

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Why then do Hasselblad publish the photo above?
Here is the relevant section of the technical specification sheet:
"Digital Compatibility = All Hasselblad H5D, ixpress, CF and CFH digital backs. 3rd party backs that where compatible with the H1/
H2 cameras" (page 5, here)

I'll speak with Hasselblad directly today to confirm.

torger

What backs does the datasheet photo actually show?

P+, Leaf Valeo, IQ, CFH-39, H3DII-39(?), H4 and H5D-60?

pedro39photo

If the H5Dx its a true open format and can receive the H3D, H3DII H4D backs its a smart and bold move from hasselblad ! and bring exciting again to the DMF.
They will sell very well to old H3D body users and old phase one 645AFD I and II users. Now all the photographers that have a H5Dx can use a new recent back, and travel with just a "old" 31-39mp H3D or H4D back as a backup.

Great news, and its time for bold moves in the DMF industry to refresh some ideas. Lets open again the "private club" to a wider users.
20 years ago any policeman or people on the street know that a 645 mf was a photo camera.
Now with my H3D in the street i have people asking me..."what its that? cinema camera????"

Lets democratize, a little...i think all the brands will do well with more competition

DMF was never a resolution war, its about the format and the prices. even a nikon D800e user will be in love for the viewfinder of a old Mamiya ZD or H1 or H2 if they experiment just one time.
I love DMF, and its sad to see this amazing tool just in the hands of a small nich of users, i put sometimes my old H3D 22Mp in the hands of some kids starting to enjoy and in love for photography and the never saw or heard about hasselblad or phase one or even medium format...its sad to see that...

Lets start promote the MF like a different tool, a different way to feel the act of composition, to photograph. Not the 60MP back...Give old MF models to the photo schools and in the future those kids will be using MF.

Pedro

Last edited:

Steve Hendrix

I was told that the H5X at this time will not support H2D/H3D/H4D digital backs. On the plus side, I also confirmed that True Focus II would work with 3rd party digital backs (can't imagine how or why it wouldn't, but with the recent relationship between Hasselblad and 3rd party, one never knows).

Steve Hendrix
Capture Integration

yaya

I'm quite sure the Aptus 75 works on H4X (haven't tested it in person though, and don't for sure remember the source). If that's true and if it has stopped working on the H5X something has changed in the protocol. Not a big issue though of course (users interested in H5X probably have recent backs), and as far as I understand it's Leaf's fault not properly implementing the protocol and not caring to fix it.

I was incorrect prevously, the Aptus 75S should not work, but I think Aptus 75 and Aptus 22 have a chance working... which is only the two oldest out of the many Aptus backs that have been released, so saying Aptus does not work is reasonably correct even if those two backs work :)
FWIW; Aptus 17, 22, 65 and 75 work OK on H4X. S and II models do not work on it.

Best

Yair

fotografz

That seems to make sense Steve. The Hasselblad cameras with the designation "D" (H2D, H3D, H3D-II, H4D), were factory matched back/body as a single unit (the so called "closed system").

The only possible exception to that may be the "D" bodies that could accept a film back (H2D and H3D). The H3D-II and H4 no longer could take a film back.

It seems that the H5X improves on the H4X in that it can also take a current H5 back. That begs the question of how you get a stand alone H5 back? Or, will they bundle a kit (H5X+H5 digital magazine). Perhaps it is just meant to be a possible back-up body for current H5 users?

- Marc

tjv

Surely they could just unlock legacy D series backs to use with the body via firmware? It's not like the backs are physically different, right?

Last edited:

fotografz

That is exactly what they say on their website.

Could H2D and H3D take film backs? I thought the H2F was the last model before the H4X to do that.
Yes, the H2D and H3D could take film backs. When they closed the system with the H3D-II, it was followed by the H2F (F for film). The H2F could also be used with CF and CFH backs. I used a H2F with a CF/39 MS back as well as H film backs.

- Marc

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Yes, the H2D and H3D could take film backs. When they closed the system with the H3D-II, it was followed by the H2F (F for film). The H2F could also be used with CF and CFH backs. I used a H2F with a CF/39 MS back as well as H film backs.

- Marc
Ah... now I remember. The H2F actually came after the H3D.

fotografz

Surely they could just unlock legacy D series backs to use with the body via firmware? It's not like the backs are physically different, right?
This was always the subject of controversy. After the H1/H2 series of cameras, the HD cameras were sold as a bundle … usually complete with back, finder, and 80mm lens. After the CF and CFH backs were discontinued, there were no more stand-alone Hasselblad backs for the H camera, just the CFV for the V cameras.

Supposedly, the HD cameras were all matched and fine tuned at the factory. This was years ago when Hasselblad was encorporating a lot of new data exchange between the modular components … which led to their automatic fine focus feature to mitigated focus shift, and DAC corrections … and eventually True Focus Automatic Position Lock (APL)

As usual, they did a poor job of communicating that decision and why it was necessary. I sort of understood it all because I recall all the shimming and adjustments that sometimes was needed to get miss-matched MFD components all working together precisely back in those days. For example, it took a trip to Kodak to get my ProBack 645C to work precisely on my Contax 645, where they micro-adjusted the sensor positioning.

I think a few Hasselblad photographers were able to send in their existing HD backs to get another H body tuned to it, but that was the rare exception.

So, while it seems possible that legacy backs could be unlocked, I think it is highly unlikely.

- Marc

Steve Hendrix

This was always the subject of controversy. After the H1/H2 series of cameras, the HD cameras were sold as a bundle … usually complete with back, finder, and 80mm lens. After the CF and CFH backs were discontinued, there were no more stand-alone Hasselblad backs for the H camera, just the CFV for the V cameras.

Supposedly, the HD cameras were all matched and fine tuned at the factory. This was years ago when Hasselblad was encorporating a lot of new data exchange between the modular components … which led to their automatic fine focus feature to mitigated focus shift, and DAC corrections … and eventually True Focus Automatic Position Lock (APL)

As usual, they did a poor job of communicating that decision and why it was necessary. I sort of understood it all because I recall all the shimming and adjustments that sometimes was needed to get miss-matched MFD components all working together precisely back in those days. For example, it took a trip to Kodak to get my ProBack 645C to work precisely on my Contax 645, where they micro-adjusted the sensor positioning.

I think a few Hasselblad photographers were able to send in their existing HD backs to get another H body tuned to it, but that was the rare exception.

So, while it seems possible that legacy backs could be unlocked, I think it is highly unlikely.

- Marc

Spare bodies for H2D/3D/3D-II were available for $3,250 at least from 2008 for anyone who sent their existing unit in for co-calibration.

Steve Hendrix
Capture Integration

Dustbak

So as a loyal HB customer that upgraded often I have this fairly new H4D60 with which I cannot use the H5X but the oldest P21 can be used with it???? I certainly hope HB does not let their loyal customer down and provide some sort of solution for this.....

Great addition otherwise BTW but we have been here before....

tjv

Yes, seems a bit strange that their own new camera isn't backwards comparable with their own backs. Surely they could offer a factory calibration if that's the issue?