The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

HB H5X announced

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Can you actually buy H4X/H5X without trading in an existing Hasselblad camera these days? Wasn't sure if that bone-headed restriction still remains.

Oren Grad

Can you actually buy H4X/H5X without trading in an existing Hasselblad camera these days? Wasn't sure if that bone-headed restriction still remains.
From the press release:

This cutting edge camera body, which can be purchased with no trade-in required...

Oren Grad

Seems as though it will now be possible to use True Focus with film backs as well as digital - very cool!

pedro39photo

If the H5X body is a true open system, for any generation or brand of backs, Hasselblad have here a true game changer 645 body in DMF.
And i think will be a good bold marketing change, because the people with old backs will keep them as backup and make technical revisions on hasselblad, the sales of H5Dx bodys and H lens will go up for phase ones users with old bodys like the mamiya 645AFD I ..II...III...DF...

Super great news and a bold move from hasselblad, maybe my nikon D810 purchase have to wait...
Finaly some exciting times again in the DMF !!!

EDIT:this its great news to all photographers that start selling old backs because of lack of parts, now a photographer that have a old H3D 22MP or 31MP fat pixels closed system maybe don´t need sell the system to go the d810 way...now can spend 5k on a new H5Dx body, 500$ on a back revision and have modern 645AF system with a beautiful CCD 22MP old back, i like this very very much. I saw some photographers selling they "old" H3D complete systems and change to 35mm.

Last edited:

lance_schad

Workshop Member
US pricing for the H5x is as follows and orders are being accepted now:

H-3013700 H5X Camera Body $6,200
H-3013702 H5X w/ HV90X-II VF $7,800
H-3013704 H5X w/ HVD-90x VF $7,800

Please note that the H5x , like the H4x are not compatible with Leaf Aptus Backs. I am only mentioning it since there was a previous comment about using it with older 'FatPixel' backs.

Lance

torger

Please note that the H5x , like the H4x are not compatible with Leaf Aptus Backs. I am only mentioning it since there was a previous comment about using it with older 'FatPixel' backs.
I assume you mean Aptus-II backs? As far as I know my super-old Aptus 75 should work, just as Aptus 75s and Aptus 22, right?

f8orbust

For the H4x, HB says:

All third party backs operating within the H1/H2/H2F protocol are supported by the H4X.

Source

For the H5x, HB says:

The same compatibility as H1 and H2 cameras.

Source

lance_schad

Workshop Member
For the H4x, HB says:

All third party backs operating within the H1/H2/H2F protocol are supported by the H4X.

Source

For the H5x, HB says:

The same compatibility as H1 and H2 cameras.

Source
From original Hasselblad H4x announcement at the bottom of the Q&A page.
LINK
*Due to Leaf Aptus S & Aptus II not communicating within the specified protocol the H4X currently does not function with these two digital back models. Our investigations have concluded that this is due to parts of the communication from the digital back not being within specification, causing a fault condition and a lock-up of the camera body and digital back. The H4X platform is more accurate and sensitive and therefore detects the signals from the digital back as outside of specification.

Lance

f8orbust

I like the next paragraph below the one just quoted:

All technical information has been passed on to Leaf and we are at their disposal to help rectify the problem. At present time we have not had any response from Leaf and therefore are not in a position to say when this will work.

I guess they're still waiting?

malmac

This is really good news - True Focus working with an IQ back is what many of us have been waiting for.

So I buy a new H5X camera body fantastic - damn I have all these Phase One lenses and not a single H lens to use.

mmmmm lets hope Phase One will release their new camera body now and then we will have real choice of how to use our MF backs and glass.

Mal

BANKER1

Call me cynical, but the only reason may be that Phase is f i n a l l y coming out with the, years in the making, camera. But, who knows, maybe Hasselblad has at last put someone in charge with a brain. Hasselblad has the best color, the best software, the best camera, maybe not as good as Leica, but very good lenses (certainly the best lineup), the best support in NJ as well as overseas, and the very, very best people in the business. Sadly they have lost some very good people in the mess they have had in the last couple of years. Two years ago, I had very high hopes for Hasselblad and was sorely disappointed. Maybe this news portends a new and positive direction for the company. My optimism is building for Photokina.

Greg

torger

I'm quite sure the Aptus 75 works on H4X (haven't tested it in person though, and don't for sure remember the source). If that's true and if it has stopped working on the H5X something has changed in the protocol. Not a big issue though of course (users interested in H5X probably have recent backs), and as far as I understand it's Leaf's fault not properly implementing the protocol and not caring to fix it.

I was incorrect prevously, the Aptus 75S should not work, but I think Aptus 75 and Aptus 22 have a chance working... which is only the two oldest out of the many Aptus backs that have been released, so saying Aptus does not work is reasonably correct even if those two backs work :)

Last edited:

torger

I like the next paragraph below the one just quoted:

All technical information has been passed on to Leaf and we are at their disposal to help rectify the problem. At present time we have not had any response from Leaf and therefore are not in a position to say when this will work.

I guess they're still waiting?
From a safe source (Yair) we know that this will never work. Leaf don't do fixes for old backs.

modator

So, is the H5X simply an H5D sold as "body only" - or have I misunderstood this?
i don't think so, because the film back isn't compatible with H5D ...
But why they didn't make a film back compatible also... To permit this possibility to H5D owner instead ??