The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Aerial Photography With Hasselblad H4D-40

Laurent

I have not posted here in a while, but thought I would show the kind of pictures I have been able to generate with my H4D-40 while flying in my region. To me being able to shoot handheld at speeds as low as 125th is amazing. I love the bright viewfinder of this camera when I am in flight. The only downside I see to it is its poor high iso capability. Some days, when the sun is just below the horizon I wish I could take additional pictures but this is when the H4D fails. I wish I had the H5D-50C in those moments.

To all those doing aerial work, and anyone else, please share your comments.

Miller

Hi Laurent,
VERY nice! To anyone who is impressed, take a look at Laurent's website.
Could you tell us how these pics where shot?
I have shot both from a helicopter an a plane, without doors. Nevertheless, the field of view was too narrow to use my 28. I used the 80 instead.

Laurent

Frans,

I have the privilege of owning my own ultra light and to be both the pilot and the photographer. My ultra light is an open cockpit machine and gives me an incredible field of view allowing me to use my 28. I do use it quite often along with my 80. I can get get real close to the edge of my subject and then frame it in while exploding the perspective. I love it. My 28 is my favorite lens when I fly.

Ken_R

Wow, excellent images. I had read somewhere that Hasselblad made a special version of the H4D for aerial photography since supposedly regular H cameras could not handle the vibration. Obviously no problem in your case!

Laurent

With my 80 I do get vibrations on some pics. With my 28, almost never. I used my 120 once and I didn't have any problems. Go figure! I love my 28.

Laurent

Flying an ultralight takes about 20 hours of flight training plus theoretical training and exams you have to pass. It is not too complicated to learn. The downside to this though is that you can't rent one at least in Canada. So either you are committed to it and you buy one or it is a waist of time to take lessons.