The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Another MF maker died today - DHW bankrupt.

JorisV

Hi Richard,

I only shoot film with the Hy6 and always handheld.

I also have a Hasselblad 503CW but it doesn't get any use anymore after buying the Hy6...

I would say the Hy6 is worth the additional money.

Best, Joris.

Stuart Richardson

Richard -- The Hy6 is a great camera for film indeed. Another option would be the Hasselblad 203FE. It is a bit less automated (no AF or integrated winder), but it has easier to find lenses and parts for it, since it can use a lot of standard Hasselblad lenses and accessories. I had the Hy6, 6008AF and 203FE all together at one point. The Schneider lenses are a bit better than the Hasselblad ones, but some of the them are larger and heavier too, particularly if you are comparing the FE lenses (the 110mm f2 for example). On film at normal apertures, I don't think you will see a large difference...I didn't. My favorite lenses for the Hy6 were the 80mm AFD, 60mm Curtagon, 150mm Tele-Xenar and 110mm PQ. The 180mm AF is also great, but it is a beast.
All this said, I sold the Hy6 and kept the 203FE. If you are a wide angle to normal shooter and don't need fast lenses or close focus, then drop them all and get the Mamiya 7II. The lenses are even better, and it is much lighter...that's what I use more than anything these days. The 43mm is a clone of your biogon, but is even a little better as it is multicoated, it covers 6x7, fits into an interchangeable lens body and has rangefinder-coupling and a meter with AE.
I also agree that handholding any of these cameras is fine as long as you have at least 1/125th or higher for the standard lenses. Sometimes you can get away with lower as well if you are careful.