The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Arca Swiss Photokina 2014: dEx, FP, CS, DM

Paul2660

Just heard from Rod Klukas, US Arca rep. The FPS on the R camera does not have a 32mm limit as the widest lens. So you can use the 23 and 28mm Rodenstocks on the R cameras with a FPS.

The 32mm limit applies to the Universalis camera or a DSLR2 (M2)camera setup.

This is great news. Each lens that you want to use on a R camera with the FPS will still need the new style lens tube.

Paul

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Very cool developments here. Eagerly watching to see how these next generation shutters work as Copal shutters are going the way of the dodo. Heck, I could even be tempted over to the Arca side by the CS shutters, support for real wides and tight integration with the DM. Now if they could only get that into the back as EXIF data ...

Looks like more spaghetti though. Such is the life of a tech camera user.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
I assume this limit is only for the tech lenses, if using DSLR lenses with the Nikon/Canon adapter, then wider lenses like the 17 or the 24 Canon TSE should work?

Cheers...
Canon Lenses are the priority (including aperture control), and will not be limited to certain focal lengths (one could imagine very long/heavy lenses may stress the mount, but a lens support should solve that). Nikon is second highest priority. Maybe others in the future.

As clarified elsewhere the 23HR, 32HR and up can be used. The Schneider 28XL and 24XL are not compatible; all other Schneider lenses are compatible.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
This is Great!!!!!!!!! :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :clap: :clap: :clap:- What set up will I need just FPS for my F and M camera?

Toooooo Coooool !!!!! :cool::cool::cool:

Phil
The FP (focal plane unit), the dEx (the digital brain), and the RC (wireless remote control).

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Getting lost. I have half a dozen lenses for the Monolith 6x9, 210-55 mm. Four of these have Rollei shutters and two Copal. What I want is a wireless remote replacement for the LCS, with aperture, exposure, and any other functions I can get (bracket, delay etc.). Ideally, I would just open the Copals and Rolleis fully and leave the lenses in the Arca 110 boards. Or maybe I need to remove the Rolleis but no biggie. Add the FPS to the Monolith (I assume I has a local battery of some kind), get the bits of electrical kit for remote control, and that should be it. I can finally put my Monolith 12' up and control everything from the ground. Or not. Can I get there from here?
You can get there from here! But not quite the way you described.

You don't need the FP. Simply remount your lenses (which are currently in Copal and Rollei shutter mounts) into Arca CS mounts and add the dEX (brain) and RC (wireless remote control) and you can control the aperture, shutter speed, and firing of every one of your lenses wirelessly. There is even powerful forms of bracketing, sequence, etc built into the remote.

Or instead of remounting the lenses into Arca CS mounts you can add an FP and control shutter speed and firing remotely. But you would not have control over aperture (since the lenses are still in their Rollei and Copal shutters). This is lower cost but does not provide as much functionality.

Last edited:

gerald.d

Had a very good and detailed explanation of this today on the stand. My bad, but sat at the bar now I can't remember the guy's name that I was talking with.

This is a very impressive solution. There's another part of this that don't think has been detailed yet - no idea what it's called, but the little thing that sits on the focussing rail and that when calibrated to infinity informs the RC what focus you're at when moving the rear standard up and down the rail. Very cool.

The cloud DM is brilliant.

There's an intriguing solution here just begging to be created.

Feed the measurement from the Cloud DM to a follow-focus unit geared up to your lens, and you have a totally remote controlled MF tech cam solution.

Alternatively, feed it to an Alpa FPS, which can control the focusing of certain lenses, and you have the same. Sadly, that won't ever happen!

As an aside - one mistake that both commentators on this thread, and the chap I was speaking with on the stand today made, was referring to the FP as the FPS

Read into that what you will ;)

Kind regards,

Gerald.

Paul2660

Yes you caught me on that.

FP for the Acra. Not FPS.

Benn waiting almost a year for this so I did get a bit excited. Still am now that the details have been flushed out more.

Paul

RodK

All looks kinda interesting - would like to see a picture of everything hooked up - simply from the number of modules, ports and cables required a picture of an octopus comes to mind. Can't help but think this sort of thing needs a return to first principles (e.g. FPS) rather than trying to reverse-engineer everything to fit. Kudos to A/S for trying though (but already the talk of mount changes and shutter swaps makes my wallet shiver, and I don't even own A/S).

A shame the CS tops out at 1/250 sec - even the old Rollei one for Copal 0 could hit 1/500.

Jim
A comment. The Arca-Swiss shutter can fire at a rate of 1/250 in a #1 shutter and when the lens is wide open. When you stop down the time is actually much quicker than 1/250 when the aperture is closed down.
Rod

miska

Can anyone comment on the Cloud DM (vs the older e-module Cloud-thingy) ? I'll be at the 'Kina next WE so I'll check it out in person, but would like to get some opinions about this before I go...

RodK

This is Great!!!!!!!!! :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :clap: :clap: :clap:- What set up will I need just FPS for my F and M camera?

Toooooo Coooool !!!!! :cool::cool::cool:

Phil
Added clarification:
The 32mm limit is for using the FPS on a rail camera.
ON the R series cameras 23m and 28mm Rodenstock lenses are also viable, and of course, 32mm and up in any brand.
Rod

RodK

Can anyone comment on the Cloud DM (vs the older e-module Cloud-thingy) ? I'll be at the 'Kina next WE so I'll check it out in person, but would like to get some opinions about this before I go...
The wireless cloud works in conjunction with the MPU and RC units which are used to control the shutter.
Once you focus the clou, the distance is indicated on the Remote Control, and the depth of field is shown for 4 Apertures as does the original emodules. If camera is focused to that distance indicated by the cloud wireless, the depth of field for that focus is shown for the 4 apertures: F5.6, 8.0, 11, 16.

Focus is very smooth and clear.
Hope this helps
Rod

jagsiva

The wireless cloud works in conjunction with the MPU and RC units which are used to control the shutter.
Once you focus the clou, the distance is indicated on the Remote Control, and the depth of field is shown for 4 Apertures as does the original emodules. If camera is focused to that distance indicated by the cloud wireless, the depth of field for that focus is shown for the 4 apertures: F5.6, 8.0, 11, 16.

Focus is very smooth and clear.
Hope this helps
Rod
Any info on how "fine" the distance stepping in the Could DM? Is it finer than the eModule Could? Thanks...

lance_schad

Workshop Member
Here is the US pricing that we have received.

Arca-Swiss dEx
MPU : Microprocessor unit for Dex shutters and accessories     $1,400.00
RC :  Remote control for Dex and MPU                          $1,120.00
CS :   Central Leaf shutter (requires MPU and RC)             $1,680.00
FS :  Focal Plane shutter                                    $2,940.00
AC : Aperture Control for lenses with FPS                  $980.00
DC: Aperture control for Canon lenses R body                 $1,330.00
DM : Cloud wireless device (Requires MPU and RC units)      $1,540.00
FC : Focus control 'wagon' (Requires MPU and RC units)         $910.00
Upgrade R-Lime lenses 23-80mm for FPS                       $490.00
Upgrade R-Line lenses 90-120mm for FPS                       $630.00

Please feel free to contact me with additional questions regarding configuring the components to add to your Arca system.

Lance email

Paul2660

Lance, thanks for the prices, a few questions.

The upgrade for R lenses @$490.00, is this a cost of shipping the lens to Arca? As the price that has been quoted for the actual new tube is $350.00 per tube. I realize each lens has to be measures etc. but that can be done hopefully locally by an Arca rep. or Authorized dealer?

Is the increase in price on 90 and above due to the fact that a different back extension part also has to be used?, I refer to the back extension pieces that come with a 90mm HR-SW, 105mm Rod, 120 Schneider, etc. each is a bit different in width.

Can the shutter be used with only the MPU, or do you have to also have the Wireless piece. I assume if the MPU is only used, the photographer has to stand close to the camera as with a copol?

Aperture Control for lenses with FPS (?) I assumed you could still use the Copol in the lens for aperture?

What is the connection to the Back, i.e. with a Copol, you have the cable that runs from the shutter to the back. What runs from the FP to the Back and does it have to be wireless or can there be a hard connection as with a Copol.

Thanks
Paul

lance_schad

Workshop Member
I'll try and answer what I can. Doug will be back in office tomorrow and he is going to fill us all in on his actual experience with the new Arca-Swiss products.

The upgrade for R lenses @$490.00, is this a cost of shipping the lens to Arca? As the price that has been quoted for the actual new tube is $350.00 per tube. I realize each lens has to be measures etc. but that can be done hopefully locally by an Arca rep. or Authorized dealer?

When we have remounted lenses to the R-Bayonet the customer would be responsible for the shipping to DT (whatever method they prefer) and we would take care of forwarding them for the modification and we would ship back to customer via UPS ground at no additional charge. Also the original price that was floating around of $350 , was actually Euros and not converted to US currency.

Is the increase in price on 90 and above due to the fact that a different back extension part also has to be used?, I refer to the back extension pieces that come with a 90mm HR-SW, 105mm Rod, 120 Schneider, etc. each is a bit different in width.
I believe they changed the rate on the new 90mm HR-SW since it requires the rear spacer like the longer lenses. If you want an older 90mm remounted it would be the lower cost.

Can the shutter be used with only the MPU, or do you have to also have the Wireless piece. I assume if the MPU is only used, the photographer has to stand close to the camera as with a copol?

MPU is what the components are connected to , it is the central processing unit and it is controlled wirelessly from the RC - Remote Control.
Aperture Control for lenses with FPS (?) I assumed you could still use the Copol in the lens for aperture?

I believe they are referencing the electronic aperture of Canon/Nikon Lenses

What is the connection to the Back, i.e. with a Copol, you have the cable that runs from the shutter to the back. What runs from the FP to the Back and does it have to be wireless or can there be a hard connection as with a Copol.

I'll let Doug answer this one from his hands on experience.

Lance