The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Capture One 8.

gerald.d

Also...

Capture One Express (for Sony) RAW converter and image editing software

The ‘Capture One’ RAW converter and image editing software from Phase One has been newly adapted for Sony. ‘Capture One Express (for Sony)’ will be provided at no extra charge to users who purchase an α interchangeable-lens camera or Cyber-shot RX digital still camera. This image processing tool incorporates an advanced RAW image processing engine to enable delicate images to be finessed to deliver a high-quality finish.

Refer to the following website for details: www.phaseone.com/en/Imaging-Software/Capture-One-for-Sony.aspx This website will go live at 10:00 CET on 16/09/14

Frederic

"The Local Adjustment tool in Capture One Pro 8 givse users more image control including localized white balance tweaks. "

gazwas

"The Local Adjustment tool in Capture One Pro 8 givse users more image control including localized white balance tweaks. "
Film grain sounds interesting (?) but if its got localised WB they can gladly have my €99 upgrade fee!

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Hope, there will be still a (free) DB-version. :rolleyes:
Phase One will always provide the functionality of "Pro" for free to users of Team Phase One backs for free in a "DB" mode. This does not change from one version to the next.

Last edited:

gss

Subscription plan? If they ever convert to subscription only, I will never buy another PhaseOne product. After the crap Adobe pulled, I'm shocked anyone thought this would be a good idea.

torger

Any improvements for tech cam users such as better tiling suppression?
I've done some quick testing and I cannot see any improvements in tiling supression or any other aspects in LCC algorithm, as far as I can see the results are equivalent to C1 7.

torger

Subscription plan? If they ever convert to subscription only, I will never buy another PhaseOne product. After the crap Adobe pulled, I'm shocked anyone thought this would be a good idea.
(Almost) all software will eventually be subscription-based. It's the future, whether you like it or not.

Very mature software like Adobe's products will just get bloated if you add new features and sell on feature upgrades. Software still needs to be maintained, supporting new cameras, new operating systems etc and that kind of boring stuff, so you need to get money in even if you won't add much totally new features. Subscription is then an business model that can work.

C1 probably has a few years they can sell on feature upgrades, but it is too becoming a mature product.

Paul2660

As a beta tester for C1 vr 8, the improvements IMO are impressive. The ability to do a WB in local adjustment layer was a great addition. However you have to watch out as this over rides the WB on the master file. A bit different than how LR handles this. But overall improvements seem good.

Sad to see that it appears no LCC improvements for both titling and other issues.

Not sure if the "strategic" alliance means a non Alpa user can no longer expect to see improvements as each platform tends to be pretty unique.

I did see the note on the subscription, which IMO is a bit different than CC. CC's upgrade cost has always been around 220.00 US, if you are non government or education discounted. So that breaks out to around 10.00 a month for CC and LR.

C1 upgrade cost for C1 8 is the same 99.00. So not sure how they will work that forward, as starting everyone over at 299.00 a year would be a bit of a disappointment.

I did just go through the Phase One store to upgrade one of my C1 licenses, and their process worked fine. No issues, still 99.00 per license to upgrade, and for me, this time the 99.00 is worth it.

Paul

jlm

Workshop Member
noticed they are offering "focus mark" in live view. I am hoping this means you could pick a couple of points in the image to zoom in on at the same time and thus assist focus when using tilt or swing?

nenes

Ohhhh i love C1 ....it is the best professional software in the market (not perfect,an compared with the competition). It is incredible how in digital days a software makes you choose between one camera system or another .
I will wait for testing it ,at least untill it gets "stable" , phaseone likes us to be their guinea pig

schuster

After the crap Adobe pulled, I'm shocked anyone thought [subscription] would be a good idea.
And... there are several million of us, just in North America, who can not get cable or DSL broadband and have to rely on iffy and expensive 3G cell data or throttled and unreliable satellite for Internet access.

gazwas

Loving Capture One 8.

Phase has done a really good job with this version. Early days yet but not found anything I don't like and plenty I do. Seems stable too!!

Paul2660

Here is a listing. This was as of 1 week ago.

STILL NO HISTORY OF PAST ADJUSTMENTS PER IMAGE (REALLY HOPED TO SEE THIS)

New Capture One 8 processing engine
Improved image quality for HDR
Improved image quality for local moiré suppression
Improved image quality for luminance noise reduction
Improved black and white conversion quality especially for aggressive adjustments
New clarity method called Natural

Live view focus meter for Phase One IQ250
Live view direct capture
Live view depth of field button
Live view force orientation
Customizable tools and tabs in the live view windows

Repair tool for cloning and healing
Film grain tool
Target colors and other curve tool improvements
New crop ratio “Original”
Freehand rotation with the crop cursor by grabbing just outside the corners of the crop frame
Double-click thumbnail to show viewer and entry in the keyboard shortcut editor for toggling the viewer on/off
Batch chromatic aberration analysis

Local white balance
Local HDR
Local noise reduction
Local purple fringing
Layer selection points in the viewer

Hierarchical keywords
Metadata terms editing in the filters tool
Synchronize folders for catalogs
Split importer settings for sessions and catalogs
Export collection as catalog
Import sub-catalog
Session and catalog templates
Refined metadata editing

AppleScript (Mac only) support for capturing, processing, document creation and collection management

Paul

Last edited: