The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Phase One: Photokina 2014; C1v8, IQ150, Alpa Alliance, P+ Upgrade, Warranty Info

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Capture One v8 - focus on speed and stability, a few great new features, Sony tethering.
IQ150 Introduced - an IQ250 without wifi with a lower cost of entry
P+ to IQ2 - aggressive, short term offer, on upgrades from Phase One P+ backs to the IQ2 series
Alpa and Phase One Strategic Partnership - one indication of how seriously Phase One is taking the broader tech camera market
Warranty News - every IQ2 will now include the 5-year Value Added Warranty with loaner-during-service, including the body and lenses purchased at the same time

Zerimar

Re: Phase One: Photokina 2014 News

How much is the 150 and how does it differ from the 250?

I know it's early, but I am sure that's going to be a hot topic on here in the days to come ;)

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Correct, no new camera from Phase One at Photokina. Very heavy investment is being made here and when it is ready it will be released.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Re: Phase One: Photokina 2014 News

How much is the 150 and how does it differ from the 250?

I know it's early, but I am sure that's going to be a hot topic on here in the days to come ;)
In the US the price is $29,990.

In other countries please contact your local dealer for pricing in your market in your currency.

In short: IQ150 is an IQ250 without the wifi. Also the IQ150 comes with a classic 1-year warranty, since ALL IQ2 systems now come with a 5-year Value Added Warranty (including on the body and lenses purchased with them at the time).

tjv

My God, and people are tough on Hasselblad?!?! No new camera? $30K for the IQ150 back? The Leica S-E is suddenly looking like the bargain of the century.

miska

Following the strategic alliance, perhaps Phase one dropped camera development, and their new body will actually be an ALPA ? :angel:

drevil

Staff member
at the same price you get a camera body at hasselblad

but hey its a start, P1 gets pressure

competition is good

Mammy645

Unbelievable, what has it been 5 years since they first teased it? They need to at least show what they are working on and give a release date, or they will start loosing a lot of customers to the competition I think. It's really getting ridiculous.

torger

I too downloaded and played a bit with C1 8, seems like a fine upgrade. From my quick testing it seems like tonemapping quality is now on par with Lightroom, something landscape photographers will like.

Paul2660

Surprised to see that Phase One did seemingly react to the 645z and lower entry point of the 50c. Not much of a reaction, but I guess it's a start. Plus it seems that the 150 doesn't get the full 5 year value add warranty, and if you add it back, guess what, you are pretty close right back to the cost of the IQ250. Not sure that this makes a lot of sense, but Phase One does.

Also as a non Alpa user not sure what a strategic alliance means? Hopefully Phase One will realize that there are probably less Alpa than Cambo and Arca systems out there, why they wanted to pigeon hole themselves into 1 of 3 very small niches. I agree the Alpa FPS camera is further advanced than anything from Cambo and Arca. However I have always felt that the "new" body would be some form of a Sony design. Not a FPS, since that is more of a tech solution.

Paul

gazwas

So yet again no new camera from Phase at Photokina.

So..... do we take it the Alpa alliance is another teaser for the development of yet another new camera that now superseded the last announcement in 2010 of the development of a whole new camera that we won't actually get until this now, newer one is now finished?? Crazy....... :loco:

Hasselblad, all is forgiven as this Phase/Alpa "Luxury" announcement trumps even the rebranded Sony's for "manufacturer with head in the sand."

Kevin Sink

I'll chime in on the C1 v8 initial reviews. Thank God they have shadow/highlight recovery now available as a gradient layer mask. The quality of recovery is better than v7 and on par with LR. Also, the noise reduction seems better with less muddy, sludgy artifact when leaning on the sliders. Noise reduction can be applied as a layer also so you don't goof up your normal & highlight areas that don't need that adjustment. (not sure if this was on v7?)

6x6

I have to say this is poor from Phase One. The camera body has been their weakest link for many years and yet nothing has been announced. They know it, we know it and yet everything else but a camera body is announced.

The only thing holding me back from moving to the Leica S is the 30x45 format. If they released a Leica S '645' they would clean up! Then it would be a great camera body; enough resolution; 645 format; and wonderful lenses. I'm almost at the point of moving to the S, fabricating a cropped fresnel and post prod cropping.

pedro39photo

My god how its possible to ask 30k for a digital back and have a 6k body camera based on a 15 years mamiya 645 Af ? In the last 2 years i just saw 2 ou 3 realy great news in the DMF, the Pentax 645D system, the 645z with a price tag to any one outside of "club" , the Sony Cmos 50mp sensor, and the new "open" hasselblad H5Dx
I just wonder how the DMF brands change there prices polices if a Pentax 645z 50MP back with a price tag of 6k apear in future, that can used in alpa, phase mamiyas 645 and h5dx....

f8orbust

My 2c

C1 v8 - good stuff, but a shame it appears that LCC handling hasn't improved from very good > class leading.

IQ150 - $14k north of where it should be. Here's a novel idea - just drop the price of the IQ250 by $5k. And the Credo 50 by $5k.

P+ to IQ2 - very attractive, especially if you're currently on a high MP back like the P65+ - e.g. net cost of upgrade to IQ260 = ~$8k.

Alpa partnership - no real idea what this involves - bundles initially I'd guess, camera later perhaps. Let's hope Alpa takes the lead on the camera or it could be a while.

Warranty - ah, one of my oldest beefs - shameful that P1 would sell you a $45k product with a warranty no better than the Magic Bullet you just bough off the shopping channel - about time they fixed this.

DF+2 - looks great, like the styling, ergonomics look good … er, hang on a sec … absolutely amazed that they have missed this deadline … Photokina 2016 I guess it is then? Seriously, with Hasselblad opening up their bodies again, adding LV and WiFi to their 50MP CMOS back, and already having a great camera body and lens line up ... it's a :banghead: moment for P1.

Jim

torger

My 2c
C1 v8 - good stuff, but a shame it appears that LCC handling hasn't improved from very good > class leading.
As far as I know the only software better than C1 at LCC is my own Lumariver HDR, but being a niche software it almost doesn't count :). Among the broad software alternatives available I thought C1 already was class leading? It should be better than both Lightroom and Phocus as far as I know. Anyone else?