The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sonnar 180 / 2.8 Carl Zeiss Jena Pentacon 6 service

arionelli

Does anybody know where to have this lens serviced/repaired, preferably in Australia, but otherwise anywhere else? I just bought an otherwise great condition copy for a good price but it has some movement in the front end...a slight bit of play in the focus ring makes me think it's the focus mechanism.
Looking a bit closer there are a few inside marks from less than careful tool handling...the whole front element set seems to move in and out about 5mm if I tip the lens back and forwards...the hood screw thread must be dirty as it is very hard to twist off, but at the right angle of force it threads off effortlessly...I wonder if this stickiness has been the contributor to increasing the free play because it seems when it's tight, the next ring in from the hood sometimes seems to turn a little...I do think the lens may be worth keeping because it looks otherwise in very good shape...the auto aperture mechanism is a little hesitant (slow) which may have been a reason to open the lens initially, but as I'll be using it mostly wide or near wide open with manual stop down metering that won't matter too much...the lens/group shift...hmmm, not so sure...have been offered a refund from the seller who says he sells a few of these every month always in good working nick...
Any ideas? I am wondering to find a repairer somewhere who can set it up right...from the inet posts it doesn't seem too hard, but still a bit out of my league.
Many thanks for any help.
Martin

arionelli

Oh, never mind...I returned it to the seller, no qns asked...imo it didn't seem the hassle so I may get another one sometime.