The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

C1-8 and Tethering In The Field

rga

Hi All,
Haven't seen much discussion, and can't find much specific in the videos, about tethering IQ1's in the field. I'm a bit confused about what capabilities have changed (I'm using the Surface Pro).
1. What is multi-focus points and can they be used on the IQ1's?
2. If the answer to 1 above is "no" (which I think it is), what new capabilities for using in the field tethering have changes?
3. Has tethered Live View for IQ1's been improved somehow? If so, how?
4 One video showed side by side comparison of images to get the best focus. Is there an ability to show multiple focal points in a single image and then compare to the next shot on screen so you can see if your tilt focus is getting better?
Thanks for any guidance,
Bob

rga

OK, well it seems there are a few unknowns here, so I tried it out today. Equipment was the IQ160, Alpa MAX, SK80mm SB34, and my living room. Tethered to my MB Pro via USB3. Here's what I found:
1. Unable to set a "focus area": I get the message my back needs a firmware update though I'm at 5.11.36. So basically the "focus meter" function is not usable with my back at this point.
2. Live view is MUCH better with better/easier to understand controls for setting WB, starting LV on the back from the computer, resolution, etc. Not sure if this was true before, but you must start LV from the tethered computer, which actually I find to be great.

So Multi point focus (up to 3 points per the online manual) isn't available for my IQ160, but the improvement in LV quality is very helpful.

Other findings welcome!
Bob

Steve C

Well, your first results were better than mine. Using a Sony Windows tablet, the program crashed multiple times when I tethered it to an IQ180. Not sure I did things in the right sequence, but I've never had crashing problems before. When I did get it to work once, I tried the same focus meter function, got the same firmware upgrade message, then I could not get out of the function back to live view. I tried the same process with a Mac laptop and things went smoother, but I still couldn't get the focus meter to work. However, the live view on the Mac was really bad, worse than on the IQ back. I guess I'm early on the learning curve and will try again tomorrow. Interested in the results from others.

rga

Thanks Doug. Looking forward to it.

Haven't tried it on my Surface Pro yet Steve. Hope I don't experience the same thing!

Anyone have suggestions on how to backup to ver. 7 if I do?? Got a trip in a couple of weeks that I would like to use ver. 8 for, but not if it doesn't work on the Surface Pro 3...

Any inside scoop on this Doug??
Thanks,
Bob

Paul2660

Anyone have suggestions on how to backup to ver. 7 if I do?? Got a trip in a couple of weeks that I would like to use ver. 8 for, but not if it doesn't work on the Surface Pro 3...

Thanks,
Bob
This will apply to win8 or win7,

If you did not uninstall ver 7, it still there and should run fine. If you use catalogs, this will present problems, I run in session mode. So you can just reopen vr 7, it will more than likely have a session conflict with vr 8, just open a new session.

If you did uninstall 7, then things may be a bit different.
I have found with the windows version, things go fine with a new install as long as it's a new version. However if you just have 8 on your PC, and want to get back to 7, I would totally uninstall 8, via control panel, programs and featured.

You should also check in file explorer (win8) or windows explorer (win7) to make sure any folder referring to Capture or Phase One is gone. These may be in the Program files folder or app data (you will need to dig a bit to find this one).

Make sure you back up all the data in the following:
C:\users\*********\appdata\local\Capture One\Presets60
C:\users\*********\appdata\local\Capture One\styles.
where ********** is your user name on that PC

Not a bad idea to back these two up on a regular basis also.

Now I would also go to regedit and look for any reference to Capture One, or Phase One. Capture One DOES NOT DO a clean uninstall with the window version. This is why I always image my main C drive before I do either a version upgrade or major upgrade like 7 to 8.

You can search in HKEY LOCAL MACHINE, and HKEY LOCAL USER.
Delete any and all references to Phase One.

Reboot and reinstall version 7. You should be find. Again all session info will be lost and you will need to create a new one. All your image data (cache) will still be there as it's in the actual folders the image files are (again session mode).

The only issue will be past LCC data. If you totally purge the Capture One folder, you will need to copy all your LCC info first or it will be lost. See my notes on how to back these up.

A normal uninstall will not delete the information in the appdata folder.

I only say remove it if you end up getting a corrupted reinstall which can happen.

Paul

rga

Wow Paul! Thank you for this terrific, step-by-step explanation!
I will need to wait until the end of the week to test; hopefully there will be patches to C1-8 and IQ1 firmware by then to address the windows issues as well as the multi-focus issues.
Best and thanks again,
Bob

rga

Just bumping this thread to see if anyone else has used the new C1 8 with the Surface Pro in the field and can share experiences
AND
to see if there has been any kind of firmware release by P1 so that the IQ1 backs can use the multi-focus feature in C1 8...
Anyone??
Thanks,
Bob