The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Cube refurb

TimothyHyde

Subscriber Member
My indestructable Cube has finally begun showing its age and evidence of its wounds. I've carried the thing through dust storms and snowstorms, and perhaps dropped it down rocky slopes once too often. I can live with the cosmetics and misaligned levels, but the gears have begun to act like my knees. In fact, it has become a pain to use. Before I replace it (which would be my third Cube), I'm wondering if there is a place that refurbishes this piece of equipment, a kind of CLA? This is getting expensive. Any advice would be appreciated.

tim hyde

Paul2660

Arca repairs, I would look up Precision Camera works, near Chicago IL. They do good work and are pretty quick, if they have the parts in stock.

I believe they do all the warranty work on Arca in the U.S.

Paul

Steve C

I had my cube refurbished by them earlier this year. They did a fine job and turned it around in a little over a week. Highly recommended.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Precision is an amazing asset for Arca in the US market. They will gladly take and disassmble, clean, and reassemble your cube for a very reasonable price, and do a great job of it.

If you have a good Arca dealer they can arrange this service for you. If not, you can contact Precision directly.

You say you're on your third cube. Did you have Precision service the first two when they started to wear out?? Or did you discard them when they started showing issues?

TimothyHyde

Subscriber Member
Sorry. I meant I was on my second Cube; the third would be the replacement for the current one, which is what I want to avoid. The first had the same issues: too many spills, too many times being pitched into the back of an SUV, too many rain and snow storms, too much dust.

Thank you for the advice. I've reached out to Precision Camera Works and they have already responded. That is a very good sign. Off it goes.

Tim

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Do you still have the first one? If so, whatever condition its in, I'd send it to precision while you're already sending the other. Can't hurt to get a quote to restore it to good function (even if it has cosmetic issues).

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Another very positive vote for Precision. They rebuilt my Cube twice after there was a mount problem (screws under the rotating mount had a warranty problem allowing the head to rock - apparently not uncommon at the time), and also a complete gear & adjusters replacement after some impressive damage caused by baggage handlers.

Both repairs were perfect. :thumbs:

TimothyHyde

Subscriber Member
No, Doug, the first one is long gone. Now, hearing all of this, I wish I had kept it. I have other heads, but the Cube is essential for the work I do. I'm glad I asked the question.

tim