The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hasselblad CFV-50c live view

Ken_R

Ive search and I have yet to read about anyone buying a CFV-50c at that price. How about one of you guys pull the trigger? Anyone got $8-9k to gamble? Be cool to hear how it turns out.

tjv

I contacted Map Camera through a friend in Japan and they said there's a two month waiting list... Makes it difficult for me to buy now because of tax purposes...
One thing though, was it the Pentax 645D that had Japanese only menus when bought in Japan? What would the chances of Hasselblad limiting the menu language to limit overseas buyers?

f8orbust

I keep seeing this post and thinking "what if" venerable H had been astute enough to opt for the USB3 standard instead of that old Firewire....
Would have been nice - but with true live view, all the benefits of a CMOS sensor plus a decent screen I don't think there's the same appeal to tether to a tablet in the field as, say, with the IQ backs.

If you want some USB3 ports, with the $20k saved over the Credo 50 / IQ150 you could buy a fully maxed-out MacPro, plus a top of the line NEC monitor, and still have a few thousand bucks left to spend on beer *hiccup* ('scuse me).

kdphotography

The difference is that no matter the quality of the screen, CCD or CMOS sensor, or quality of the Live View option---you are still limited by the paltry ~3 inch real estate of the screen. I think it's a safe bet to say the majority of end-users of $$$ MFDBs are middle-aged+, and that means aging eyes.

Tethering to a super tablet like a Surface Pro, besides a bigger screen for aging eyes, brings a lot of different options to the table, not to mention a much easier form factor to use in the field. The point being is that a USB3 card/protocol is more attractive offering more flexible options/usage and probably would not have cost much different at all in final production versus Firewire, a dying protocol destined for the graveyard in the near future, imho.

For the $10-20K saved (ha ha), you can bet that money is instead spent elsewhere in Dante's plentiful offerings in medium format digital....:D But wow---what a nice MFDB offering! If it had USB3, it would be that much closer to a home-run.

Seriously, Japan is a great place to visit...

tjv

They've posted another video, this time of the live view in good light. Seems better still.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Don't forget folks that the yen is taking a pounding these days so this also is a factor in the pricing. Now I'm told that with the devaluation going on and the increase in taxes that business is 'soft' so that may also help.

I was impressed with the live view videos.

Hmm, next year ... :)

Shashin

I contacted Map Camera through a friend in Japan and they said there's a two month waiting list... Makes it difficult for me to buy now because of tax purposes...
One thing though, was it the Pentax 645D that had Japanese only menus when bought in Japan? What would the chances of Hasselblad limiting the menu language to limit overseas buyers?
I bought my 645D in Japan. English menus are in it.

But on the bright side, even if the Hasselblad back only has Japanese menus, you will have some money left over for language lessons.

vjbelle

I watched the videos of the live view and and it looks pretty impressive. Maybe, soon enough, someone will compare it to one of the Phase/Leaf backs but what I saw was certainly good enough.... It still, though, would not be for me but I can see that it would be very tempting for many.

Victor

darr

The difference is that no matter the quality of the screen, CCD or CMOS sensor, or quality of the Live View option---you are still limited by the paltry ~3 inch real estate of the screen. I think it's a safe bet to say the majority of end-users of $$$ MFDBs are middle-aged+, and that means aging eyes.
I agree with you about aging eyes (presbyopia), but honestly just being able to focus on a specific point via LV should be enough for a lot of us (similar to loupe on ground glass). Having a larger screen for composition (?) is not a necessity for me. I find carrying extra gear to be much more of a hassle.

tjv

My dream is that the live view and screen quality would be good enough to dispense with the need for a sliding back in the field. I don't mind using some kind of hood to shade the screen, but I'd prefer not to put up with the extra bulk of a sliding back. With that dream realised (I hope, although with some trade off on possible movements,) my Techno stays very close to the size I'm used to and the workflow consistent with how I work now. Good stuff... But... I still worry about the movements... Nothing beats testing for ones self, and that option where I live is very difficult to arrange.

torger

Just had a look at the videos for the first time. It looks great! It's a bit slow refresh rate in dark conditions, but still perfectly usable, there seems to be no significant lag which is the important thing.

I use the Aptus 75 which has the worst screen ever considering visibility in daylight, but still I almost never need to shade it more than with my hand, so I would not worry about screen visibility. Shooting in midday full sun is not a very common shooting condition for me though.

I would not consider paying $20k or so more for a Phase product to get a little bit better screen and faster refresh rate. To me it's all about image quality and then the rest (screen etc) just needs to be good enough to be usable in the field. It seems to me that the CFV-50c passes that with a wide margin.

The next question I have is image quality and Phocus workflow, I haven't hard that good things about Phocus LCC correction, on the other hand I don't think the Sony CMOS requires as advanced LCC correction as the Dalsa CCDs, as the CMOS lack tiling and microlens ripple, so if Phocus LCC correction is just decent it should be good enough to handle the CFV-50c.

I'm still a Schneider wide guy so this is not for me, but I'm still very excited about this offer, it opens up for view camera revitalization and much more affordable technical camera solutions making it reachable for many more users which I think is a great thing.

f8orbust

I've heard that most of the main Japanese HB dealers have already pre-sold their inventory and are back-ordered (no pun intended). Hoping that B&H may have some grey imports in due course, but if not has anyone got any good leads? Given the excitement and demand surrounding this back, you gotta wonder what bright spark at P1/Leaf didn't decide to pitch something at this price-point (even if it was only in V-fitting)? That said, maybe they don't need the money :loco:

tjv

I've enquired via a friend in Japan and there is at least a two month waiting list at Map Camera. I'm a little confused as to why it's much more expensive everywhere else in the world? Perhaps a loss leading, brand building exercise?

ErikKaffehr

Hi,

Just to make clear. Seller is in Russian Federation, that is not EU. It may play a role for EU buyers.

Well, with Putin, you never know, but last time I checked I have not seen a Russian tank parked in front of my apartment…

Best regards
Erik

Here is a new CFV-50c auction to watch.

:watch:

Nick-T

The next question I have is image quality and Phocus workflow, I haven't hard that good things about Phocus LCC correction,
Hi Torger my experience of the Phocus LCCs (Scene calibration) has been excellent, give it a try.

tjv

From what I've seen in samples I've been sent, it seems to work very well – at least with the CFV-50 and 50c. Have not had a chance to shoot my own tests though.
Nick, what back are you currently using?

jlm

Workshop Member
trying to sum up a few details, re, the CFV50: please correct any mistakes:

1. battery is external, available in small and large, hangs below the back (not shown in the product shots i have seen) and will interfere with the SWC unless an extension plate is fitted.
2. back is only capable of fitting in normal landscape position, battery down. meaning the Aptus rear standard, for example, has to clear especially when shifted down. And for portrait orientation, the entire camera has to be rotated.
3. cost is from $15k down to $10k, depending on Asian outlets.
4. live view is available when tethered using Phocus via firewire on the external monitor right now, but not yet on the back's LCD itself
5. speed of transfer for tethering is more limited using firewire compared to USB
5. back is available with H or V mount

comments?

SHV

"1. battery is external, available in small and large, hangs below the back (not shown in the product shots i have seen) and will interfere with the SWC unless an extension plate is fitted."
FWIW, a CFV back won't fit on an unmodified SWC (pre ~ 1980) because it won't clear the "quick release shoe".

Steve