The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

MAMIYA - CAPTURE SOFTWARE

anna lo

Good morning,

I have a big problem because I have Mamiya ZD and Mac book pro OS X 10.9 Mavericks.

The old Mamiya Digital Photo Studio software doesn't run anymore with this mac and my Capture One 7 don't accepted Mamiya ZD.

How can I do to shoot directly from my computer?

Thank you very much.

Anna

synn

I don't think there's any solution other than getting an old, used macbook, to be honest...

weinlamm

Do you only want to develop your Raws or do you want to tether your ZD?

I never had tether my ZD, so I had to have a look in the specs, with which software you can do this.
But to develope Capture One 7 should work. But then you need the Pro-version.

If you use the free DB-version you need to run Capture One 6. That's the latest version which works with the ZD.

ondebanks

I guess you were previously running Mamiya DPS on an older machine with OS 9?
Emulators/virtualisation to run the older versions of Mac OS are few in number, slow, and somewhat unstable. SheepShaver seems to be the recommended one (recommended with reservations).

I think your best bet would be to install a high performance virtualisation software for OS X, such as VMWare Fusion, and inside that install Microsoft Windows (Windows 7 is probably best) and the Windows program, Mamiya Remote Capture Beta Version. You can find the latter on my Dropbox link - a few ZD shooters have got it from me already this year. Although it says Beta Version, this was the only version that Mamiya publically released of Mamiya Remote Capture, which tethers the ZD under Windows.

I am currently running several Windows 7 and XP apps, through VMWare Fusion on my MacMini OS X Mavericks. It is convenient, stable and as smooth/fast as running on a native Windows machine.

Ray

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Ray, last time I checked (which was some time ago) VMware and parallels did not support passing firewire from host to virtual machine (only usb, network etc).

It *should* work under boot camp.

Self-interest alert... Of course it would all work nice and slick if you upgraded to a modern camera like a Mamiya Credo 40.

ondebanks

Ray, last time I checked (which was some time ago) VMware and parallels did not support passing firewire from host to virtual machine (only usb, network etc).
That may still be the case, Doug - I'll have to check (one of my external drives is connected by firewire, so it will be clear if the Windows VM can see it or not). I hadn't considered that possible flaw in the plan.

Ray