The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The Sigma DP cameras

S

Shelby Lewis

Here are a bunch of images from the Dp1M for you reference. I love the DP1M, even though it gets less love than the other Merrills on this forum.

It's my travel camera of choice. I came to it after shooting both 35mm and medium format digital. I'm slowly headed back into MF-land, but think I'll always have a few Merrills onboard.

Some stuff, all handheld, from travels this year:

Cheers!
Shelby

synn

Incredible samples again. Thanks for sharing!

Another question to DP owners, does the Sigma software allow exporting of TIFFs in Prophoto RGB? This is my preferred editing space, hence.

viablex1

As Darr mentioned, these little bricks are great for travel when you don't want to take the full MF / tech camera ensemble with you.

I now travel with my Sony RX1-R and a Sigma 'to go' Think Tank Mirrorless Mover bag with the DP1M, DP2M, DP3M and my spot meter. I've also taken to using a color checker grey card for white balance in the field. Also, you can never have too many batteries ...

The results are quite stunning overall considering the system. The Sigma processing software though is pretty flaky but the results are fine.
Hey have you noticed the Italian flag with the sony? It looks like a great camera.

octagone

Possibly the wrong forum section I know, but this is more related to Medium format in direction.

I love my H4D50, LOVE it. But I usually use it for personal projects and travel stuff. But now, I'm thinking about taking something much much lighter.

The Sigma DP system seems interesting. High MP, Foveon sensor and compact.

Trouble is I have no idea what I should get and there appears to be three models (the Dp1, 2 and 3, the Merrill and the Quattro).

I'm not interesting high ISO performance. Just image quality but don't seem to see much online about any of them. Which is odd.

Can anyone offer a comparison / guide on what is what?

Thanks!
I invite you to discover some photos taken with the DP2 quattro on the following links:
http://www.yaotomi.co.jp/blog/walk/SDIM0058.jpg
SIGMA dp2 Quattro ? ??? ?? 2014 ?first on? - ??????

SIGMA dp Quattro Photo Gallery | ???????

SIGMA dp Quattro Photo Gallery | ???????

100% crops of this photo interpolated 45Mpix.
After clicking on the thumbnail, click on the image to see it at 100%.

Other photos:
https://onedrive.live.com/?cid=2E5E32881A2DA3E8&id=2E5E32881A2DA3E8!822

100% crops, picture SDIM1696, interpolated 45Mpix.

SDIM1673, Crop 45Mpix:

SIGMA dp2 Quattro:

The interpolation I have made ​​from the jpg. SPP does not work on my computer.
In raw results would probably be even better.

narikin

Yeah, like many here, I have these too (DP2 and DP3 Merrill)

Just remember they are little cameras and make relatively small print files. You will not get big prints out of them, like you can with MF. Quality is superb, for that size, but you must remember it is not what you are used to in Mp.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Yeah, like many here, I have these too (DP2 and DP3 Merrill)

Just remember they are little cameras and make relatively small print files. You will not get big prints out of them, like you can with MF. Quality is superb, for that size, but you must remember it is not what you are used to in Mp.
Exactly - they are superb up to a limit that where MF just keeps on going ....

narikin

I found this image shot by a DP2 quattro and am now seriously thinking about it.

http://23.252.120.42/PRODS/sigma-dp2-quattro/FULLRES/YA-0159-SPP606.JPG

That is better than anything my D800 has ever coughed up SOOC. Not in the league of the Credo of course, but at less than 1/10th the price, that's phenomenal.
Yeah, again, if you are happy with just small prints, and nothing more, then yes, it's really great.

A D800 or A7R will give you a far larger print at native resolution. with the Sigma you'll have to upsample, then things start to get less clear. If small prints are your thing, then it's perfect. If you print larger for exhibition or sales, then think about that. Jus' sayin' !

foveon

Yeah, again, if you are happy with just small prints, and nothing more, then yes, it's really great.

A D800 or A7R will give you a far larger print at native resolution. with the Sigma you'll have to upsample, then things start to get less clear. If small prints are your thing, then it's perfect. If you print larger for exhibition or sales, then think about that. Jus' sayin' !
Foveons dont use Bayerpatterns

synn

I have a credo that also can up sample if needed. That takes care of all the highest quality work.
The D800 files break apart when up sampled. From what I see, the sigma files up sample a bit better than non MF Bayer files too.

I would venture to say that the per pixel resolution of the Foveon sensor is better than any Bayer sensor currently produced. It's ability to capture minute distant detail is as good if not better than anything I've seen with the D800. And posts confirming that the DP Merrills can print as large as the D800 are not uncommon on any number of forums.

I think the best definition I've seen of the Merrills is "mini tech cam", but it has to be used as such (stable tripod, self timer) to capture that resolution.

tsjanik

I have a credo that also can up sample if needed. That takes care of all the highest quality work.
The D800 files break apart when up sampled. From what I see, the sigma files up sample a bit better than non MF Bayer files too.
Synn:

I tried the Quattro for a week. I was unhappy with the colors I was getting, but I'm unfamiliar with the Sigma software, so maybe if I had spent more time. I really didn't like the form factor either; however, the sharpness of the files was quite amazing. I was comparing images to those from a 645D. The D is better, but not by as much as I expected. The Sigma files are so sharp that they up sample well.
I'm about to purchase a Merrill DP2. * It appears to be a camera I can take anywhere without feeling I have to sacrifice too much quality.

Tom

* Darr is the poster who is principally to blame for this decision. :)

Last edited:

narikin

Foveons dont use Bayerpatterns
No kidding. This is the MF forum, most of us are pretty familiar with sensors and patterns.

When you make a print, there is a certain minimum dpi that the printer needs, a D800E or A7R will supply far more of those than a DP2M. Yes the Sigma's pixels are definitely sharper, but much fewer. That's the point I was making. Many folks here depend on exhibition prints for a living, so it's important to be aware of this fact. That's all.

darr

Hi Narikin,

What is your definition of a small print size? You've got my curiosity raised as a retailer of photographic prints for 30+ years.

Darr