The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

IQ260 long exposure question

strok

I'm wondering about IQ260 performance in a long exposure mode at ISO 800, Is it close to ISO140 (noise) ?

Paul2660

Personally I would not use the 260 in LE mode at ISO 800 for any exposure longer than maybe 1 to 5 seconds.

800 is a real push on the IQ260 unless you use it in sensor plus.

In sensor plus the images are quite useable. But even then I would not try a very long exposure.

Paul

satybhat

I wonder if anyone has done any comparisons of exposure-equivalent shots on the IQ2 series ?

I've found even ISO400 shots quite usable in normal mode (obviously not for colour critical issues like coca-cola reds, etc) on the IQ280.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
I wonder if anyone has done any comparisons of exposure-equivalent shots on the IQ2 series ?

I've found even ISO400 shots quite usable in normal mode (obviously not for colour critical issues like coca-cola reds, etc) on the IQ280.
Of course. We have an extensive database of raw files we have captured to guide our customers (and ourselves). They comprise our own personal photography, images donated by photographers (usually done during their testing phase), and our official/formal tests.

I assume other dealers do the same.

satybhat

Doug, is there anyway to get access to these ?
Note: I already have the IQ280, so this will only be for affirming how much I can push it in the field.
Thanks

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Doug, is there anyway to get access to these ?
Note: I already have the IQ280, so this will only be for affirming how much I can push it in the field.
Thanks
Shoot me an email with what you're looking for and I'll send them when I'm back from a personal trip I'm on at the moment.

In general I'd suggest ISO35 @ 20C @ 100 seconds is the start of the strong rolloff in quality on that back. The rolloff is still modestly acceptable at 120 seconds (the official spec) but quite far gone by 140 seconds.

This only applies if you wait a few seconds after a previous exposure (for any heat build up to dissipate) and only in normal latency.

It also only applies when using Capture One for raw processing since the most noticeable increased noise comes in the form of stuck/hot single-pixels which C1 can handle better than LR or ACR.

If the ambient temperature is significantly lower you can push a good bit further. If the ambient temperature is significantly higher you can't get anywhere near these numbers.

It also depends on what you find "acceptable" - there is no right or wrong here. Even a 10 second exposure is not the same as a 1/100th exposure regarding noise - in my eyes (and the eyes of nearly all customers I've worked with) the change is subtle enough that it can be ignored, but not in all eyes. This is especially true as the most immediate change is the loss of pliability in the file - the default presentation could be quite similar, but add 40 points of shadow recovery and the shorter exposure shows it's strength.