The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Using Hasselblad 200-series with digital backs

carstenw

I've got a 203FE repair manual on the way, and if it is anything like the Contax 645 repair manual, it will be full of electrical diagrams. If so, I will forward Brad a copy, in the hope that this project can stay its course. I would love to shoot a Sinar 54LV on a 203FE with no weird cables (maybe just a standard sync cable).

Stuart Richardson

Do you think this is maybe a function of the Leica like horizontal shutter? If I understand correctly, this will only be fully open at 1/90th and below (the sync speed). Does a normal, focal plane shutter open fully at all speeds? (I think not, otherwise wouldn't it sync at all speeds?) If not, why does the cloth shutter cause streaking and the regular focal plane shutter (for example, in the Mamiya and Contax) not cause a problem? Or is this all caused by some other issue?

carstenw

All focal plane shutters starts using a slit rather than being fully open at some speed. The highest speed below that is the flash sync speed. Vertical shutters (on rectangular formats) are a bit faster. Metal shutters are faster than cloth, but more fragile. I presume that if the DB knows what is going on, it doesn't actually care, and just stays open until the slit has moved across the sensor.

I am not quite sure what the problem is with the 203FE.

BradleyGibson

David, thanks for the report on the Kapture Group cable. I can see how that might be a problem.

Carsten, thank you! That would be very much appreciated. My fingers are crossed that there will be electrical diagrams with the repair manual.

Stuart, Carsten is correct. Think of the curtains that part when you're watching a play. Instead of the split being in the middle of the stage, the split is pulled all the way to the left side of the stage. Then one curtain is walked across the stage, exposing the actors in the play. At some point in time, the other curtain is walked across the stage, again blocking the actors from view.

Assuming the curtains are being walked across the stage, let's say it takes 20 seconds to travel the distance. This would mean that any observation of the play shorter than 20 seconds would mean the second curtain would begin travelling before the first curtain had arrived at the right side of the stage. At no point in time would the whole stage have been visible, but each portion of the stage would have been visible for the correct period of time. Once you ask to see the play for longer than 20 seconds, the entire stage is visible for at least a very short period of time.

In the 203FE's case, that travel time isn't 20 seconds, but ~1/90th of a second.

Hope that make sense...

They say a picture is worth a 1000 words, right? http://regex.info/blog/2008-09-04/925.

I'm not sure what streaking issue you're referring to, so I can't be of much help there... Could it be a simple light leak?

Take care,
Brad

R

Rafa

Brad,
It seems all the 203FE users are coming out of the woodwork thanks to you. I would be very interested in having a non-cable digital solution for my 2 203FE cameras and FE lenses. These still remain my all time favorite cameras.
I hope your project pans out and you can offer us what Hasselblad hasn't been willing to. It is still quite a mystery to me why they abandoned what I think it is the pinnacle of their cameras.
Good luck on your project and keep us posted.
Thanks
Rafa

BradleyGibson

Hi, Rafa, welcome!

:)

I agree. I am convinced this wouldn't be hard for them to do. But there are business reasons, I suspect that make this non-viable, at least from their point of view.

Still, be advised that my solution, if it works, will still require the sync cable from the back to the camera body--it is the body that will provide modified sync. Still, I think it will be a nice solution..

I may not get started until the spring--I have a number of work-related things to tackle right now that will keep me pinned down for the next 2 months or so. But yes, I'll keep you posted!

-Brad

R

Rafa

Brad,
thanks for the welcome. I do understand that there are business reasons that made continuing support and or development of the FE or FCC platforms unfeasible. But that doesn't make swallowing the pill any easier. All of us who bought into the system thought we were investing in the best and more modern offering from Hasselblad.
In any case, I'm covered with Mamiya for now so it's ok if you take a few months to get started. I think quite a few people will follow your development with interest.

Rafa

carstenw

Brad, I got the PDF file for the 203FE/205FCC/205TCC repair manual, and sadly there are no electrical diagrams in it. There are some technical notes which might help you, however, so if you PM me your email, I will send it to you.