The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Tech Cam - but with 120 film back to start with?

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
If I were looking at a technical camera today I'd be seriously considering the Cambo Actus MF DB solution. It's somewhat akin to the Linhof Techno, in so far as you get the movements on a universal body and there are cheaper choices for lenses since you don't need the helicoids.

I've been considering getting another Alpa MAX for a while but to be honest I'd actually rather get the Cambo and an Alpa adapter from John Milich for my Alpa lenses to use on it.

With respect to using a film back, this is very doable depending upon the lens image circles and the results are truly excellent. I'll sometimes shoot my Alpa with the MFDB and then swap over to shoot a few frames with my film back (44x66mm). The resulting film images off of the digital tech lenses are truly superb to the degree that even my film processor has commented on their acuity before. The downside if you don't have a digital solution is that you'll need the ground glass unless you're just shooting with zone focusing and loose with a viewfinder.

Btw, you've got to love a thread where Linhof is called the 'slumming it' camera!! :ROTFL: I find all of these cameras superbly made, just some are more 'superb' than the others.

tjv

:D

Just to be clear, I absolutely love my Linhof Techno. I think it's the most underrated platform out there, esepcially now that we have CMOS live view.

Anyway, Alpa cameras are absolutely beautiful. I wouldn't say no to an SWA or MAX, for sure!

jlm

Workshop Member
my actus has the hasselblad V back adapter; so i can pop on the lovable 6x6 blad backs any time (assuming i can figure out how to advance the film...) that cmos thing becomes a live view viewfinder and a focus aid