The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

IQ150

Zerimar

Does anyone have this back yet?

As far as I understand, it's the same as the IQ250, asides from the Wifi tether (not sure how often I'd realistically use that) and the warranty?

Asking because I was looking into upgrading my P45+ to the IQ250 during the current P+ back promotion receiving $6000 more for the P+ back.

I am a Phase Ambassador and can double my accumulated commission towards a purchase. I was planning on taking advantage of the promotion, as well as my commission to get the new back, until Denmark said that the commission count's as a promotion too, and that I cannot stack them. Thus rising the price by $6000 more than I can realistically afford.

I am thinking of using the commission with my P45+ as a trade in to get the IQ150 instead. With the difference in price from the IQ250 that's a Profoto B4 pack or some other goodies for the studio..

As far as the warranty goes, if it's just on the back is that really necessary? I can understand buying an entire system with lenses and getting the 5 year warranty, but considering I have two h2 bodies and four lenses, I will most likely stay with the H system.

Thank you for any advice/opinions on this, hoping to possibly purchase it this month.

Edit: On a side note, I plan on only using this back on my H2 bodies, and may someday get a view camera to use the canon TSE lenses on it. I'll be using it with the HC 35, 100, 120, and 50-110 lenses. I'm hoping to increase the capability of my landscape work, especially at night. I think that the long exposure and high ISO capability blow the P45+ out of the water, despite loving that back.

Last edited:

kdphotography

I'd say go for it.

Wifi capability of the IQ250 seems to me to be the biggest difference to the IQ150. And with USB3 and tethering with a Surface Pro---that imho blows the wifi viewing out of the water.

Now about that new H5X body.... :D

ken

Paul2660

The difference currently in price is the value add warranty between the 2backs. Last time I checked if you take the price of the IQ150 and add what a value add used to cost, you have the list price of a IQ250. Yes also no WiFi. I agree with Ken on the usefulness of that vs tethering ( in the field or studio ).

Personally I would never make this expensive a purchase without the 5 year warranty. All of the Phase backs I have owned (3) since 2008 all have needed repair outside of the 1st year and the repairs on average were 4 weeks long. I lie the idea of the loner during repair and the fact that the value add will pass on to the next owner if I choose to sell.

Paul

Ken_R

The only real problem most people complain about the IQ150/250 in the forums (and AFAIK all that "complain" don't even own one) is the price.

The PhaseOne IQ chassis is superb. The screen is just awesome and so is the connectivity and user interface + it's integration with the software (C1Pro). The IQ backs are a pleasure to work with (I own the IQ160). IMHO if you are looking for a back to do photography at night and/or in low light look no further than the IQ150/250. Right now it is the best Digital Back solution for that.

Keep in mind that the IQ150/250 sensor does not play well with tech camera wide angles when shifting a lot so if that's your thing then the IQ260 might be a better option for long exposures but you loose the high iso capability.

Look around this and other forums for more info but you need to look past all the bickering and the uber technical discussions by a handful of individuals who are tech smart but seem to dedicate themselves more to the endless forum discussions rather than photography.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Yes, warranty and wifi are the differences.

If you are going to be renting the system out to other photographers the value added warranty, which comes with a loaner during any service/repair may come in handy.

Don Libby

I guess I've been luck; I'm on my 4th back and never had any problems. The first was new with the value plus while the rest have been used without. I'm in the process of upgrading again and it to will be used.

Back on topic, the IQ2 series is great however if you take away the WiFi and warranty and add the fact that using either a Surface Pro 2 or 3 (I've used both) for tethering works great then for the money I'd suggest the IQ1 and use the money saved for more glass. then again that's just my opinion.

Don

f8orbust

The only real problem most people complain about the IQ150/250 in the forums (and AFAIK all that "complain" don't even own one) is the price.
Not sure I follow the logic here. Surely the price of anything is fair game whether or not you actually own it?

With respect to the IQ150/250 (and in fact, pretty much any expensive 'thing available for purchase' out there), comments regarding pricing are skewed simply because those that own one won't generally complain publicly about the price they paid, even if they feel aggrieved. Just human nature I guess.

Last edited: