The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New IQ firmware

jagsiva

Anyone ventured down this path yet?

New features as published by Phase:

The highlights and improved functionality include:
• Support for 256 GB and larger capacity CF cards
• A new Focus Meter with up to three concurrent Live View focusing areas is available in
tethered mode with Capture One Pro 8
• IQ2 only: Mobile device WiFi-support for image viewing, remote capture control and
geo-tagging of images using Capture Pilot App version 1.7
Minor changes from latest firmware version:
• Power on/off the digital back now takes 3 seconds using the Phase One 645DF+
camera power ON/OFF-button.
• Host capture is now possible with the Phase One Mamiya RZ67 Pro II Adapter, for all
IQ digital backs with Hasselblad V mount.
• Language support: French language is updated and Chinese character set is
supported.

kdphotography

I've downloaded it (added to my Dropbox IQ firmware archive already) and getting ready to install on my IQ180. Focus Meter is what interests me most in conjunction with the Surface Pro tethered. I guess it's time to get C1 Pro 8 going on all my machines!

It's a good idea to keep Phase's Firmware Updater tucked away. If needed, it allows you to move to/from different Firmware versions. I keep several old firmware versions as well as the latest firmware in a Dropbox folder so it remains easily accessible to me. GetDPI family members can access the Dropbox IQ firmware folder here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/258ngmkjxewo04e/AACc8BqAnDOy7BANNftHsnnYa?dl=0 (IQ250 and subsequent CMOS MFDBs are not included)

:) ken

gerald.d

You missed off a biggie - full streaming live view over wifi to iOS.

Waist level shooting with the ALPA TC and iPhone mounted horizontally in the new holder :D

Kind regards,

Gerald.

Wayne Fox

Workshop Member

Waist level shooting with the ALPA TC and iPhone mounted horizontally in the new holder :D

Kind regards,

Gerald.
I’ve stayed with the IQ180 since I really didn’t see any real advantage in image quality by moving to the 280, but if this is true and it works well, I may have to re-evaluate and consider doing the upgrade. I use Live View on the 180 for all focusing now when using the Arca Swiss and have gotten pretty good at it and get good results. But using my iPhone 6 plus that can tilt and swivel would make it so much easier and wouldn’t add any weight to my kit. That’s the the main reason I haven’t opted to trying the Surface.

I would love some feedback from anyone who tries this.

Paul2660

Right now, Phase only seems to support the 250 for Live View with Capture Pilot, at least per the 1.7 release notes. This may be an oversight by Phase on the notes however.

Paul

vjbelle

But using my iPhone 6 plus that can tilt and swivel would make it so much easier and wouldn’t add any weight to my kit. That’s the the main reason I haven’t opted to trying the Surface.

Using the iPhone as a viewing device won't improve anything for the IQ series backs. The image will be the same slow fuzzy image it always was. Any kind of movements are a real PITA. Tether your IQ back to a MBPR..... does that improve anything? The only real improvement is going to the 150/250 series backs. I can swing or tilt with perfect viewing accuracy and be on the money in about 30 seconds with my Leaf. I wouldn't even consider tilt with my IQ180.... for me its just not doable.

Victor

Wayne Fox

Workshop Member

Kind regards,

Gerald.
Using the iPhone as a viewing device won't improve anything for the IQ series backs. The image will be the same slow fuzzy image it always was.
The advantage is the viewfinder is no longer on the back but anywhere I want to put it. I have learned to focus very effectively and efficiently with LiveView, to me the challenge is the camera being 1 foot off the ground and having to try and kneel and get close enough with 3.5x reading glasses to see the screen. Or having the camera 12” over my head and having to shoot/adjust delete to fine tune composition.

If the screen on the back would swivel and tilt, great. But holding the iPhone as a screen in one hand while turning the focusing ring or adjusting composition in another would be very helpful. So while the liveView is still a pita, by allowing the live view screen to be in a more convenient location makes it attractive.

Same thing applies for viewing the captures .. easier to look at something angled and placed at a convenient height.

For me live view focusing changed when I rigged a variable ND filter to easily pop on and off the front of the lenses. Just adjust the density to get optimum light to the sensor and lag gets better, image gets clear,er and focusing at 100% is pretty easy. Yeah, nothing compared to a cmos sensor, but the Phase DF has seen little use since I started doing it this way. That’s opposed to the Alpa system I tried and bailed on because i hated focusing (and this has nothing to do with alpa/arca, had I discovered this while I still had the Alpa I would be shooting with it).

dchew

Wayne,
You should do a live view focusing workshop. You could charge $5 less than the cost of an IQ250 and all of us would pay it.

Seriously, if I am ever in your neck of the woods I'm going to hound you until you teach me.

Dave

gerald.d

I’ve stayed with the IQ180 since I really didn’t see any real advantage in image quality by moving to the 280, but if this is true and it works well, I may have to re-evaluate and consider doing the upgrade. I use Live View on the 180 for all focusing now when using the Arca Swiss and have gotten pretty good at it and get good results. But using my iPhone 6 plus that can tilt and swivel would make it so much easier and wouldn’t add any weight to my kit. That’s the the main reason I haven’t opted to trying the Surface.

Just got to wait until ALPA release the new iPhone holder, then I'll go out and do an in-depth field test (but with the 250) :)

Kind regards,

Gerald.

Egor

Updated firmware and voila!
As a huge proponent of LiveView for everything except teeth brushing, We just tested the WiFi tether option on IQ250 to iPad in our studio on a small product shoot. It is very good and shows incredible promise!
We are not using on technical cameras, just DF+ and autofocus lenses
-we needed to use "ad hoc" network (PhaseOne's version of "WiFi Direct" which means it is it's own wifi router instead of joining the party on our LAN) thanks, Doug!
-LiveView transmission nearly seamless to the iPad and also gives camera control for shooting
-WB in LV not there yet but am told it's coming
- been having some issues regarding battery life of DB using Usb3 tether to computers. USB3 does NOT provide enough power to DB battery while shooting so battery death in less than 2-hours in some cases....WiFi tether allows use of FW800 connection so DB is kept charging while simultaneously allowing LV to small screen (iPad) for tweaking placement and focus check.
-great for focus stack exposures, product placement and position, styling, production speed

Very impressive :)

Steve C

Have been playing around with the new back firmware 5.14 on my IQ180 to check out the tethered focus meter capability. It doesn't seem to exist on my Windows tablet with the latest Windows and Capture One software. I can't find the select meter area tool. It works nicely on my Macbook Pro, although I don't think it is really any easier to nail focus than just the video window on the IQ back untethered (which seems better than I remembered). Checking the shot afterwards on either the Mac or Windows tablet is significantly better than the image on the IQ back for judging where the focus starts to fade out. Any comments / experience from the Surface Pro groupies?