The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Phase One A Series

f8orbust

Because the photo doesn't show the copal shutter, nor the cabling required, the product image does tend to suggest this is a new-hi-tech-touch-screen-iphone-wifi-super-slick-thingamyjig, when - let's face it - it's just a TC with a new iphone holder attached, plus a firmware/software update.

Seriously though, how does this work with the 260/280 compared to the 250 - what's the refresh rate like - how long can you use it before the top gets so hot you can fry an egg on it?

Sunny side up please!

kdphotography

i don't see why the I-phone holder would't fit on the STC or Cambo for that matter
John, please see the Phase One non-disclosure agreement.

You're referring to the Phase One "C" ---Cambo series soon to be released...

:ROTFL:

stephengilbert

The earlier versions of the iPhone holder fit any ALPA 12 camera. Mine's on an STC. ALPA prides itself on the various bits fitting any camera in their line, and the mounting holes are the same. If the connection between the back and the iPhone is via WIFI, there's no reason the setup shouldn't work on an STC or Max, with the iPhone showing movements or tilt.

kdphotography

The earlier versions of the iPhone holder fit any ALPA 12 camera. Mine's on an STC. ALPA prides itself on the various bits fitting any camera in their line, and the mounting holes are the same. If the connection between the back and the iPhone is via WIFI, there's no reason the setup shouldn't work on an STC or Max, with the iPhone showing movements or tilt.
But it won't be a real "A Series," Steve. Send me your Alpa and I'll make a label for you. :ROTFL:

I'll have your Alpa back to you at CI in Lake Tahoe. :D

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Can someone please explain what "upcoming in-back LCC autocorrection" actually entails? Is it automatic LCC correction based on the back knowing what lens, focus point and aperture you are using (and lens movements if camera allows), sensed and applied automatically? Or is it essentially that you take the LCC shot as normal and can assign it to the relevant image on back?
Exact implementation details are still being finalized.

Selection of the lens is done via manual menu selection on the digital back, or via Capture Pilot on the iPhone. So when you change lenses you'd just need to change that menu option (not unlike with uncoded Leica M lenses on a digital M body).

Specifics of if/how aperture/focus are accounted for are not yet finalized.

We'll have the first one in the US and will step you through specifics of implementation, and what features on this system can also be used with non "supported" lenses or Arca/Cambo users.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Seriously though, how does this work with the 260/280 compared to the 250 - what's the refresh rate like - how long can you use it before the top gets so hot you can fry an egg on it?
Quite poorly. Refresh rate on the live view of Phase One A-260 and Phase One A-280 is ballpark 3-6 frames per second depending on lighting and quality setting.

If fast live view is important to you then the A-260 is the best option by far.

gerald.d

An incredible new system using Phase One Digital Backs, Rodenstock optics, and ALPA bodies giving you the absolute best in Image Quality.
Interesting to see that Digital Transitions are saying that for the "absolute best" image quality you need to shoot Phase One, Rodenstock, and ALPA.

:watch:

stephengilbert

"Even better than a tethered iPhone viewer... a wireless iPhone viewer."

Even better if you own an IQ2 back or sell them. If you have an IQ1 back, a little cable would be quite adequate.

P.S. I know, Ken, Surface Pro, blah, blah.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Interesting to see that Digital Transitions are saying that for the "absolute best" image quality you need to shoot Phase One, Rodenstock, and ALPA.

:watch:
You can have many things that are the "absolute best" :).

Haven't you heard of a tie??

At a technical level this is not any better or worse than a similar Arca Swiss bundle or Cambo bundle. They are all technically immaculate.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
"Even better than a tethered iPhone viewer... a wireless iPhone viewer."

Even better if you own an IQ2 back or sell them. If you have an IQ1 back, a little cable would be quite adequate.
I honestly think that if Apple had given a micro-USB port on any of the early iPhones that might have been worked on in R+D.

As it is, no USB on iOS devices means no market-justifiable reason to work on any iOS non-wireless solution.

Paul2660

Exact implementation details are still being finalized.

Selection of the lens is done via manual menu selection on the digital back, or via Capture Pilot on the iPhone. So when you change lenses you'd just need to change that menu option (not unlike with uncoded Leica M lenses on a digital M body).

Specifics of if/how aperture/focus are accounted for are not yet finalized.

We'll have the first one in the US and will step you through specifics of implementation, and what features on this system can also be used with non "supported" lenses or Arca/Cambo users.
To be honest, it would really odd for Phase to implement some form of an auto LCC process that only applies to a Alpa TC even with the alliance in place. However since that camera has no movements, I guess it's a bit easier to control.

Back to Capture Pilot.

Doug you asked for my feedback,

Basically to me it's the same hit and miss, solution it was back in March. I am running the latest back firmware 5.14 and on the iPad iOS 8 which is current. The version of Capture Pilot I have is 1.7.

1. Attempting the Adhoc connection is hit and miss and takes reboot of back, iPad or both to make a connection. About 5 minutes spent to do that.

2. After connection, time to load 25 thumbnails, in-definite. I never got all 25 thumbs to load on the screen. Most of the time you get the spinning wheel and after about 4 to 5 minutes of waiting I killed the app.

3. 100% view, with "respect retina" on, looks to me as it did before, i.e at a 100% view you still really can't tell exacting focus, if you back off the view maybe to 75%, it helps.

4. I finally gave up on waiting for images to load in at 100%, as after about 4 views at 100%, the app just spins, and can't do anything.

NET, the app is still not where I feel it should be, in that it won't connect, and when it does connect it will never load all the thumbs I have.

Based on my past experiences with Phase One, I would have to state, that if there is a IQ260/250 that is connecting on a regular basis, and can consistently show views at 100% and back to thumb view without a freeze, then more than likely Phase One changed out the WiFi controller in the back to make it work more effectively and seamlessly. I have seen this before with my P45+ so it would not surprise me at all.

However tethering is still excellent and really with my back, there is no comparison.

If this is being sold for a EVF type solution with a 250 and live view, and the connections are both more accurate and consistent, again I propose that Phase One made some hardware changes to the 250 and later 260's.

Paul

tjv

What stopped them from using an EVF instead relying on a phone?
This is my thought too. This package is not cheap, but I'm sure most users would rather a dedicated EVF instead of having to use their phone. For sure, it's the modern age and people might not like carrying an extra bit of gear, but if my phone rings, I'd prefer not to have it mounted on my camera.

V

Vivek

No kidding! I think you are factual! :ROTFL:

Edit: I just checked around and the MF iphone holders (only for the old models and no phone included) cost $399-499 pop! :eek:

Last edited:

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
With you guys the phone makes no sense when you have live view right on the LCD of the back. Wifi is something I would NEVER depend on as a working Pro. PERIOD

Sorry this is another gimmick that cost a **** load of money. I love the Credo 50 and equivelent CMOS backs now and what would stop me from just using a Alpa TC or Cambo compact with a lens and the backs live view. Nothing.

Look I have this thing against iPhones and the photography business as a whole. There ****ing up the Pro market and if you keep burying your head in the sand thinking it does not than ask me about the drop in revenue and jobs lost over it. Its killed the event side of the business because Joe smart *** can do it on his iPhone. Sorry for the attitude on it but its deserved. Ill become a chiropractor now and fix all those necks that never get to eye level any more. LOL